Old 03-24-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Running Springs , California
Bad shore power inlet and filiform corrosion

We have a 2015 FC, with 30A electric. After using the front power inlet for a couple of months (we are full timers), the power cord became fused to the inlet and we no longer had 120V power. These inlets were subject to recall, and this service was supposed to have been done by our dealer. I called Airstream, and they quickly said they have heard of this before, and shipped us a new cord and inlet. When I took the bad inlet out, the post (black wire attached) that had fused to the cord was loose. I believe this was the issue that caused the recall.

So Airstream has taken care of us with regards to the electric problem. However, all around the power inlet we now have filiform corrosion. This is the only location on the trailer we have any sign of this issue, so it seem safe to say there is a connection to the electric problem. Airstream JC told me they will not cover corrosion, but this seems more like damage due to a flawed part than normal corrosion. When I pointed this out, I was told the dealer can submit a claim with pictures, and a decision would be made. I wasn't filled with confidence.

I don't want to start another corrosion discussion, but wonder if anyone else has experienced this issue, and whether or not Airstream covered it while under warranty. We are going in for some other warranty next week and would appreciate any advice my fellow Airstreamers might have. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1458874661.862617.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	259329

Old 03-24-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
How can one determine if these breaks in the organic coating are a result of debris from the road or from damage during assembling? It would be interesting to hear AS claim they have no production issues after you read all the forum stories about what people observed during their factory visits.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron7852 View Post
However, all around the power inlet we now have filiform corrosion. This is the only location on the trailer we have any sign of this issue, so it seem safe to say there is a connection to the electric problem.
I don't see how a bad electrical connector could cause filiform corrosion in its immediate vicinity. From the location on the front of the trailer it seems more likely it was initiated by pinholes in the clearcoat caused by road debris.

Quote:
I was told the dealer can submit a claim with pictures, and a decision would be made.
Airstream will either cover it under warranty or they won't. I'd submit a claim and see what happens.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:08 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron7852 View Post
So Airstream has taken care of us with regards to the electric problem. However, all around the power inlet we now have filiform corrosion. This is the only location on the trailer we have any sign of this issue, so it seem safe to say there is a connection to the electric problem.
Filiform corrosion occurs when moisture penetrates a coating. It has nothing to do with induced electrical current, and there is no cause-and-effect relationship between the electrical fault and the corrosion.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:11 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
I'm no expert but I thought these anticorossovive modules on cars and used on ships is to put a electrical current on the metal surface of the panels to stop corrosion , so I don't think it had anything to do with electrical , and since this plug is at the front of the trailer were road debris hit this area I would think this was the cause, damage to clear coat then corrosion ,I would have to inspect the trailer to determine the route cause of the corrosion , as for airstream saying corrosion is not covered under warrantee , the way I look at it all car manufactures do have a warantee. On corrosion. If it's a manufacture defect it's covered , I think airstream should at least say they would look at it and cover it if it's a manufacture defect, but I think it's caused by road debris therefore no warantee .
Old 03-25-2016, 06:37 AM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I think the corrosion is more an indication of why the plug failed, rather than the other way around. The moisture and corrosion caused the plug to fail, rather than the plug causing the corrosion.
It's much more likely, though, that the two are unrelated at all.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Dissimilar metals cause corrosion as well. Moisture will speed it up. Not sure if this is the case here, but uncoated stainless fastners/hardware will corrode aluminum. Ask anyone who owns a sailboat.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The corrosion around the fixture and a loose connection could be a heat related failure of the clear coat, thus allowing the aluminum to become bare in places. Is there any corrosion anywhere else on the exterior? If not, I think that you have a good case for warranty. Send pictures to Rick Marsh, Airstream Customer Service.
guskmg
Old 03-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Running Springs , California
Thanks for all the replies to our issue. I only included the one picture, but the corrosion is only in the area of the power inlet, within 8-12 inches. It is nowhere else on the front of the trailer, or anywhere else on the unit. Guess I'll find out next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums