Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Oakland Twp. , Michigan
awning question

I have a 34 foot excella and have watched the video on how to pull the awning out. I think that the material that is hooked to the awning that is the tab used to pull it out is wrapped up in the awning. Has anyone ever had this happen and if so any ideas on how to get the awning to pull out. i have just purchased this so i do not know how the awning this comes out. any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Do you have the long hook to grab the loop, have you loosened the lock wheels at the top of the main support arms?

When it happened to us....DW stood with the hook, SIL helped me pull out/down the front and rear main support arms 'til the loop magically appeared.

Lesson learned....roll-up the awning holding the loop strap at an angle so at least several inches hang out.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
I'm assuming that you are talking about the large patio awning over the entry door side and also that you have a Zip-Dee brand awning. This tab...are you referring to the strip of fabric that you pull to unfurl the awning? Or the plastic tab at the front end of the awning that is "pulled" to unlock the travel lock? If you could post some pictures, it would tell us a lot more than words.

It's been my experience with Zip-Dees that they are not wound very tight (a good thing, usually) and even if you can't get to the fabric strip to pull it, then unlocking the travel lock and getting a ladder and unrolling it with your hands will do the trick. At that point, you should be able to find the fabric strip and repair or replace it so that next time you can do it the normal way.

Please let us know if this helped.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
do as noted above but with the 34 you're going to need 2 people.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
My pull tab rolled itself up inside the awning too. Make sure the travel/wheel locks are unlocked, and with another person on the other end, push out on the awning supports together. The awning will open and you can grab the tab and do things the normal way. Two people can do it, but three would be better (one to grab the tab). Philip
Old 05-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
boca raton , Florida
Agree with all above, when my strap broke off, myself and wife each pulled with tided on ropes from either side without to much trouble. Zipdee does sell the strap seperatly if yous is shot.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
DO NOT do what I did the first time:

1) try it by yourself
2) After loosening the lock wheels, pull on the top of the arms (two people) only! I used my elbow as a fulcrum point on the skin of the trailer without even thinking about it and put two nice dents in the skin!!! Don't do dat'.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
DO NOT do what I did the first time:

1) try it by yourself
2) After loosening the lock wheels, pull on the top of the arms (two people) only! I used my elbow as a fulcrum point on the skin of the trailer without even thinking about it and put two nice dents in the skin!!! Don't do dat'.
I did something similar once while taking kayaks off the roof racks on a new BMW , it left two nice "dimples" in the roof of that car!
Bruce
Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Oakland Twp. , Michigan
awning feedback

Thanks to all that have given me helpful hints, have not had the time to get at it, but will let you all know how this works out for me. So far this forum has saved me alot of headaches, hopefully soon I will be knowledgeable enough to help some of you out.

Thanks again