Old 10-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think the biggest surprise was the amount of freedom they gave us back in the summer of 2002 when I went up there. Don allowed us to go into the trailers take pictures and talk to the folks working on them. I've got a lot of video that I shot there.

While there were yellow lines painted on the floor, supposedly for us not to cross, Don didn't seem to enforce them. He noted that he told Airstream that he wouldn't do the tours unless he could do them the way he wanted to. He talked about safety and told us a story about him getting reported about not enforcing the safety glasses being on. Apparently by someone taking the tour reported him. I remember one worker cautioning me in the area where the frames are upside down and the tanks and other items are being mounted. I came close to the edge of a trailer being worked on and the worker pointed out the aluminum underbelly which was hanging over the frame (it had not been trimmed back yet). He saved me from slicing my exposed thigh.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
2) I saw a new Classic on the line with Eddie Bauer style wheels and 16" Michelins, and stainless steel stove vent. Other Classics on the line had 15" GYMs and plastic stove vent. This leads me to suspect you can order a new trailer with such upgrades, something my dealer denied.
dkottum,

This 30' Classic that you saw on the line at Jackson Center was mine. Can you tell me exactly what stage or how much was completed on this unit? I am at the point that I need to get a VIN # for my insurance. My dealer told me that Jackson Center would not give him any information on my unit they were about a week from completion.

Glad to hear about the "Stainless Steel Stove Vent", I had no clue.

Thanks

Old 10-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Airstream wanted $640 for just the new table part, not the entire cabinet.

Had a new one built out of solid wood at a local cabinet shop for $145.
That was the famous "change order fee" at work.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomrider View Post
dkottum,

This 30' Classic that you saw on the line at Jackson Center was mine. Can you tell me exactly what stage or how much was completed on this unit? I am at the point that I need to get a VIN # for my insurance. My dealer told me that Jackson Center would not give him any information on my unit they were about a week from completion.

Glad to hear about the "Stainless Steel Stove Vent", I had no clue.

Thanks
Freedomrider, the exterior was done and it had been through the leak test. it was in an area that was fitting the interior, not sure what stage though. A pretty good guess is finished by the end of the week. They should surely have the VIN for you.

LABigDogs; Mark, you were there with us, do you remember this trailer and what stage it was in. You mentioned to me there were two trailers with two air conditioners on them, was this one of them?

doug k
Old 10-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Doug, in the end, did you decide to ask JC what it would cost to have your trailer modded for a recliner or two?

The tour sold us on buying an Airstream. Pure and simple. We stopped there while towing our T@B (at the time, another Thor product). Seeing the trailers pushed us to start looking for aluminum when we got home.

Tom
Old 10-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Doug, in the end, did you decide to ask JC what it would cost to have your trailer modded for a recliner or two?

The tour sold us on buying an Airstream. Pure and simple. We stopped there while towing our T@B (at the time, another Thor product). Seeing the trailers pushed us to start looking for aluminum when we got home.

Tom
I did, a couple months ago, $4200. That would include two ultra leather recliners as in the new 30' Flying Cloud, the console/folding table between them, materials needed to modify, and all labor ($109 per hour). They would have to rebuild the cabinet around the converter (it is under the side seat) and reroute/lengthen the front external power hookup wiring. A fair price perhaps for labor involved and retail price of the furnishings/cabinet materials needed.

There is an old Airstream in one of the Service Center bays that they have rebuilt installing new assembly line materials. Decent work and nice looking two axle (new style wheels/tires) vintage unit, it's for sale but didn't ask price.

Decided not to do it as I was looking for a winter project at the time and could save some money. We'll see, may have them do it another time.

The factory tour would be the best sales pitch they could throw, so much more inspiring and confidence building than the dealer/showroom fling. I feel much better about the quality of my Airstream after seeing them built and the value in the price. It appears they are truly concerned about the quality issues, Don Ambos lets you wander about the units in safe areas of the line to look them over and ask questions to the workers. He claims there is an ongoing effort to decrease outsourcing materials and bring them in-house to better control them, such as with the cabinet construction and laminating equipment being used.

doug k
Old 10-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #21
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hands up if Don convinced anyone in your tour group to buy the sealant and applicator gun after your tour.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
dkottum,

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. Also, the unit was ordered with two AC's.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
This is in the Service Center, a refurbished vintage unit with current Airstream materials. Not sure what year/model it is. It's for sale.

doug k
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	170664   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	170666  

Old 10-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' Flying Cloud
Canora , Saskatchewan
We have a 2009 Flying Cloud 28 Ft.After taking delivery of our trailer , we went to the factory to have a number of problems repaired. These problems were handled to our satisfaction. However at a later date we discovered much to our dismay ,we discovered that particle board had been used in the overhead cabinet in the bathroom .We installed some bolts with large washers in place of the screws that were used in particle board.To date this seemed to cure our problems that we had with the door to the OH cabinet. A problem that should not have happened in the first place since we were assured by the salesperson that no where was particle board used in an AS trailer.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
This is in the Service Center, a refurbished vintage unit with current Airstream materials. Not sure what year/model it is. It's for sale.

doug k
Is this the same one, it is for sale here?

1966 Airstream

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Sure is!