Old 07-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #1
1973 31' Sovereign
south portland , Maine
as shell cleaning / restoration

I am a new member. I just purchased a 1973 sovereign land yacht. I have been reading threads on stripping the gel-coat on A.S. why is this done? Short of doing that what is the best /safest general cleaning method of the skin? What is the best way to polish? Thanks for any help.

cmills1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We stripped off our clear coat with aircraft stripper. It was failing in many areas. Some swear by the environmentally friendly strippers, but it didn't have any effect on ours. Once the clear coat was off, the trailer looked much better overall, to the point we've been asked how we've polished (we haven't yet). We are still exploring what we want to use to get the mill finish we're going for. We use car wash and wax, cleans the trailer well.
Polishing is kind of a religious subject here on the forums. There are many threads devoted to it. Some of it seems to depend on what you want your final look to be. We don't want high polish because we don't want to spend the time to maintain it. That said, polished trailers are BEAUTIFUL!
Keep reading, and welcome!

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Camas , Washington
we used aircraft stripper to remove the plastic-coat, we are pleased with the new look. Some areas in front are pitted and we have quite a bit of fillform corrosion. I will just keep washing and waxing for now, here are a couple pictures of the difference you can see removing the old coating made ours shine. Good luck there is plenty of threads on the Airforum to guide you just do a search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5683.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	267882   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5680.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	267883  

Pams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:20 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
We scrubbed with Awesome Cleaner $1 per bottle at the Dollar Tree. It really is awesome. You can see it dissolving the crud before you even start scrubbing. Then I used Citristrip "environmentally friendly" to take off the failing clear coat. It worked well but takes longer to complete the action than the more aggressive strippers. Our trayla was very splotchy. The stripping helped but we still have some corrosion. We do not plan to do a high polish and as others have noted it requires some upkeep. I would like to find the "easy route" to a even finish. Maybe I'm dreaming.
+1 to Minno. Polished trailers ARE beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	267893  
hippiechick is offline   Reply With Quote