Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2016, 12:25 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Honestly, I haven't had a chance to work on my AS in a while. Life kinda gets in the way sometimes. I'm definitely going to look into this more when I'm ready to move forward.
Cardinal283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #22

Currently Looking...
Orange , Texas
I know this thread is old but it came up in a Google search. Aspen Aerogel is available in sheet form that is easily used for insulation. I work at a chemical plant and we use it to insulate pipes and vessels (tanks).

It’s not something you’d want to leave as an exposed surface as it can cause skin irritation but I think would be superb as insulation between the aluminum skin and inner wall.

The R value is such that you could replace several inches of rock wool or fiberglass insulation with 5 or 10 mm of Aerogel. It’s not like the form you see on the internet that looks like a translucent brick but is built into a fiber based substrate. It almost looks like thick, stiff felt and is hydrophobic (repels water) and will prevent water from absorbing into the insulation.

It is pricey- a little more than any other insulation but the properties are such that the benefits outweigh the cost. Just thought to comment to see if anyone’s actually tried this stuff.
buzzard123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard123 View Post
I know this thread is old but it came up in a Google search. Aspen Aerogel is available in sheet form that is easily used for insulation. I work at a chemical plant and we use it to insulate pipes and vessels (tanks).

It’s not something you’d want to leave as an exposed surface as it can cause skin irritation but I think would be superb as insulation between the aluminum skin and inner wall.

The R value is such that you could replace several inches of rock wool or fiberglass insulation with 5 or 10 mm of Aerogel. It’s not like the form you see on the internet that looks like a translucent brick but is built into a fiber based substrate. It almost looks like thick, stiff felt and is hydrophobic (repels water) and will prevent water from absorbing into the insulation.

It is pricey- a little more than any other insulation but the properties are such that the benefits outweigh the cost. Just thought to comment to see if anyone’s actually tried this stuff.
Sounds like an interesting product. With only 1-1/2” cavity, there’s just so much you can do. Thermal transfer at the ribs are the biggest issue. But if you can insulate the open space and minimize the transfer, it should work well. Off the subject, but I remember being involved in chemical plant firebricking in the Golden Triangle back in the 70’s. Thanks for the added input.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Kinda like a swim suit that's dry-clean-only.

Aerogel has fascinated me ever since I first heard of it. With it evidently being the lightest, most efficient insulation ever developed, I too thought it would be fun to install in an Airstream, if only there were a thermal break as efficient for the ribs, or if the ribs were carbon fibre or something.

The basic problem at hand, beside the cost of Aerogel, procuring it, and working with it, and not having it shatter on you, is that ultimately you are installing it in a shell made of Aluminum, one of the most efficient conductors out there. And if you really wanted to maximize your thermal efficiency, Aluminum would not be the material of choice, and you would want thicker walls, and smaller, more efficient windows, and pretty soon you end up with something not at all like an Airstream.

But wouldn't it be great if Airstream trailers were truly four season? It's a trick, like how to make a tank light-weight enough to fly, or healthy vegetables that taste like chocolate, or smokeless fire-wood that won't burn you.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aerogel, insulation