Old 04-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Anyone slice their AS into two pieces?

I know this may sound strange, but we have a 34 foot AS trailer that I am considering slicing into two shorter trailers and closing the open ends off somehow, possibly with glass, maybe stained glass, and patios, for permanent installation.

Has anyone done this kind if thing or know of anyone who has?

We live near a houseboat which is created partly from a railroad car that the owners sliced in half and reset at about a 155 degree angle. It's definitely cool.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:12 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
Could you also use a railroad car ?, and leave our Airstream's Alone PLEASE.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
Could you also use a railroad car ?, and leave our Airstream's Alone PLEASE.
While I can appreciate the passion, it's not "our" Airstream - it's hers to do with as she pleases.

Jenniflow - J e n n i f l o w ! :-)

well, you said up front it was strange. :-) I can't imagine slicing a piece of art like that - though again totally your call. I suppose you could halve your Airstream as you describe. Folks have turned them in to restaurants with open sides and such and I have a mental image of what you're describing and see how cool that would look.

Are open to alternatives? If so, perhaps sell the 34 to someone who would be interested in taking it on the road and use instead one of those "retro rocket" UK knockoffs http://www.retro-rocket.co.uk/home/

You could probably order one empty, halve it and decorate to taste.

Whatever you decide - enjoy and be well.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
understand that once you do this your airstream would have zero value to anyone except you. it would not be structurally able to tow it - either side. i don't see why you couldn't.
if you were set on doing this, i would say leave 2 or 3 ft on either side of the middle and set the new wall back by 2 or 3 ft, leaving a 2 or 3 ft overhang as a 'porch roof' perhaps to avoid leaking.

it would seem it would need to be gutted because you'd end up with 15 ft of living room / kitchen and 15 ft of bedroom / bath. none of the systems would work, obviously.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Definitely this weeks worse idea.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
While I can appreciate the passion, it's not "our" Airstream - it's hers to do with as she pleases.

Jenniflow - J e n n i f l o w ! :-)

well, you said up front it was strange. :-) I can't imagine slicing a piece of art like that - though again totally your call. I suppose you could halve your Airstream as you describe. Folks have turned them in to restaurants with open sides and such and I have a mental image of what you're describing and see how cool that would look.

Are open to alternatives? If so, perhaps sell the 34 to someone who would be interested in taking it on the road and use instead one of those "retro rocket" UK knockoffs http://www.retro-rocket.co.uk/home/

You could probably order one empty, halve it and decorate to taste.

Whatever you decide - enjoy and be well.

Yes, I know that to some people this will seem like a bad idea, I won't do it to both of ours, I'm not at all sure I'll do it to one of ours. But Airstreams are not only vehicles, they are many other things. This one is a 1982 and a lot of the interior may be coming out anyway.

Thanks all, especially SteveSueMac and NJto NC for the exploratory attitude and ideas, and for the link to the Rockets, I'd never heard of them. As we are in Mexico, I imagine those would be hard to come by. We're also in hurricane country, so that's a strong argument for keeping the shell intact. If we did this, I'd want to be sure to anchor it and seal it up well and that could be difficult. On the other hand, we have some very resourceful and talented metalworkers around here and an equally talented stained glass artist.

Don't worry, this is not the first option on my list. I brought it up in the spirit of invention that a lot of people have here. We're considering a lot of possibilities right now.

I've been attempting to upload Before pics but our upload speed is irritatingly slow. The process has already crashed a few times.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
The explanation

Sausalito , California

Nuff said.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #8

Currently Looking...
Canyon Lake , Texas
I know a company that has shortened an Airstream or two, pm me if you want more info.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Nothing has ever been accomplished by holding the statas quo.

We have got to where we are today with experimentation, and pushing the boundaries of what we have to work with.

I say, GO FOR IT!!

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chxtoy View Post
I know a company that has shortened an Airstream or two, pm me if you want more info.

Cool! Thanks Chxtoy, will do.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Nothing has ever been accomplished by holding the statas quo.

We have got to where we are today with experimentation, and pushing the boundaries of what we have to work with.

I say, GO FOR IT!!

Dave

Thanks for the open mind and encouragement, MasseyFarm!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Sounds fascinating. It is your trailer, I say go for it. Depending on design and workmanship the results could be outstanding. If you proceed with this, please post photos.
Sam
Old 04-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
Has anyone done this kind if thing or know of anyone who has?
There's one - not necessarily a good example - in this Airstream Oddities thread.

I think it could be a pretty cool guest house or pool cabana...it wouldn't be the strangest thing I've seen done with an Airstream.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Thumbs up Airstream Oddity it is!

Hahaha! Those are great. Shari, wow, the Airstream Stonehenge, talk about grounding your vehicle! It is sad that no one will enjoy those interiors, unless they like living in silos - which, I might add, I spent years as a child wanting to renovate and live in (a silo, I mean). I wanted to put a spiral stair up the side and have an astro-observatory dome in the top for when I was lying in bed and wanted to watch the stars. Of course, I had a place for my piano on the first floor. And I hope those chickens appreciate what they've got. As I explained to Shari privately, these would be studios/guest houses for me and my husband. We are both writers but are usually too distracted when we have guests to write much. Well. I am.

I have a Pinterest Board where I collect RV oddities and I believe I've got the car/Airstream on it, but if I don't have any of these, I'm adding them all. I can't believe I've been on this forum for 4 years and I forgot about the Airstream Oddities thread. Definitely going to subscribe.

Samb, I'm a long way from doing it yet, because expense is definitely an issue, but I will most certainly post pics of progress and completion if I do it. I now have a lead to someone who shortens Airstreams, so let's see what they say. Thanks again to Chxtoy.