Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #21
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Sausalito , California

Nuff said.
The hacked up Airstream capitol of the world has got to be Austin, Texas. Dozens of them used to sell donuts, BBQ and cupcakes.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
What the hacker said

Hey, I just spoke to Eric, the guy that Chxtoy put me onto, who shortens ASs and here's what he said:

It's not too hard to do, as long as you keep the whole structure intact without trying to remove the shell alone, which, as we know, has very little structural integrity. Then get a crimper and an L-shaped C-channel of aluminum and expand it on one side and contract it on the other side to make an end piece that will cover the whole edge. Use two steel vertical supports at the end, dividing the opening roughly into thirds and install the wall - glass, whatever.

We may be on our way, but I still gotta talk to the local trades to see if I can afford this folly.

And I just added Austin Texas to the bucket list, thanks Newroswell! (Well, actually, it was on the list anyway, but for other reasons.)
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #23
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Jenniflow, there are a few good threads here on this subject. Here's one for inspiration, I think the photos start on page 2. I'll be honest though, I would hate to see a 34'er sawed on. They're more rare than the abundant 29, 30, 31's. I guarantee you will be spending more money on this than just selling it and finding one the size you want.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...eam-31076.html
Old 04-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
The thing to do, if you ever are in Sausalito in September, is to go on the houseboat tour where you will see some wonderful houseboat creations. You will only be able to visit some of them, but you can tell a lot about others from the dock.
Thanks for the link, that is pretty cool. Last year we had a company outing that was a cruise up and down the Willamette River in Portland, and there was a surprising number of funky little houseboats to see along the way. I had no idea that was even a thing! I'm a fan of all those Home shows about funky, unique homes, so I think that's all pretty cool.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
middleburg , Florida
I saw all of them standing on there ends yesterday it broke my heart.do you think they would mind if could get one of those door handles?
tracypowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #26
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Let's not forget the Cosmic Muffin. which is/was a houseboat converted from one Howard Hughes former airplanes. Cosmic Muffin, a boat that was once an airplane | Amusing Planet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cosmic-muffin (5)_thumb[2].jpg
Views:	97
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	208955  

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
fewer long trailers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Jenniflow, there are a few good threads here on this subject. Here's one for inspiration, I think the photos start on page 2. I'll be honest though, I would hate to see a 34'er sawed on. They're more rare than the abundant 29, 30, 31's. I guarantee you will be spending more money on this than just selling it and finding one the size you want.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...eam-31076.html
That is a great thread. I doubt I could stand spending much time in a 10 ft trailer but it is adorable. I'll read more about it, thanks.

Also, about the unusual length. This is very interesting. It has been my impression that there are more of the long ones around, as another poster said. We also have a classic 345 MH which seems more common than the shorter ones of that era. Maybe the big ones didn't get used as much?

Is that a common observation? that there are fewer longer trailers around?

There certainly don't seem to be a lot of people posting about the Limiteds, which this one is, but looking at it, I'm hard put to tell much of a difference between this Limited and the Excellas it's modified from.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Buy a couple of Wrecks!

The Airstreams that were grounded were wrecked first. Is that installation still there? It WAS a big attraction for BATES RV in Florida, but they recently sold to new owners.

Since you'll have a road worthy Airstream after you do this project, why not consider buying wrecks? Salvage title, that can't be used on the road again.

Unfortunately there are always a few that get the rear end or front crushed by a tree. Insurance companies sell them cheap. Colaw's Salvage is where many end up... but to save $$$ you want to get them from the insurance auction.

It wouldn't be the same as one that had been cut in two but most people would never notice. There was a thread long ago about a man who had just finished refurbing his Airstream and was rear-ended, totalling it. He did something very similar to what you're contemplating - chopped off the rear curved segments and made a little porch, then installed it as a garden gazebo.

Go to the Google search and explore!

Last suggestion tinyhouses.com Not Airstreams, but Henry David Thoreau would approve.

Paula
Old 04-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
All I can say is, "Wow."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Let's not forget the Cosmic Muffin. which is/was a houseboat converted from one Howard Hughes former airplanes. Cosmic Muffin, a boat that was once an airplane | Amusing Planet
I love the name Cosmic Muffin.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Just emailed Colaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
The Airstreams that were grounded were wrecked first. Is that installation still there? It WAS a big attraction for BATES RV in Florida, but they recently sold to new owners.

Since you'll have a road worthy Airstream after you do this project, why not consider buying wrecks? Salvage title, that can't be used on the road again.

Unfortunately there are always a few that get the rear end or front crushed by a tree. Insurance companies sell them cheap. Colaw's Salvage is where many end up... but to save $$$ you want to get them from the insurance auction.

It wouldn't be the same as one that had been cut in two but most people would never notice. There was a thread long ago about a man who had just finished refurbing his Airstream and was rear-ended, totalling it. He did something very similar to what you're contemplating - chopped off the rear curved segments and made a little porch, then installed it as a garden gazebo.

Go to the Google search and explore!

Last suggestion tinyhouses.com Not Airstreams, but Henry David Thoreau would approve.

Paula
Well Paula, i just emailed Colaw! Great idea. I would have done that first, but the process here began the opposite way. We're at the foot of Baja where there are not many Airstreams. Then someone put one up for sale. Down the Street. 34 feet. Good price. I lept! But it's too big for our space. Now of course, I'm looking for other places to put it, still planning for the project I've described here but thinking more loosely about where the Airstream halves are going to come from.

I have a looooooong love of tiny, but mostly handmade houses. You're speakin' my language. Henry David Thoreau also famously said "Simplify, simplify, simplify." I can't say I hew all that closely to that guide, but that didn't stop me from putting that bumper sticker right on top of my desk.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Talking

What would be the serial number on the other half?
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Good question! Maybe it would shift to a cereal number?