4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
All I can say is, "Wow."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Let's not forget the Cosmic Muffin. which is/was a houseboat converted from one Howard Hughes former airplanes. Cosmic Muffin, a boat that was once an airplane | Amusing Planet
I love the name Cosmic Muffin.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Just emailed Colaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
The Airstreams that were grounded were wrecked first. Is that installation still there? It WAS a big attraction for BATES RV in Florida, but they recently sold to new owners.

Since you'll have a road worthy Airstream after you do this project, why not consider buying wrecks? Salvage title, that can't be used on the road again.

Unfortunately there are always a few that get the rear end or front crushed by a tree. Insurance companies sell them cheap. Colaw's Salvage is where many end up... but to save $$$ you want to get them from the insurance auction.

It wouldn't be the same as one that had been cut in two but most people would never notice. There was a thread long ago about a man who had just finished refurbing his Airstream and was rear-ended, totalling it. He did something very similar to what you're contemplating - chopped off the rear curved segments and made a little porch, then installed it as a garden gazebo.

Go to the Google search and explore!

Last suggestion tinyhouses.com Not Airstreams, but Henry David Thoreau would approve.

Paula
Well Paula, i just emailed Colaw! Great idea. I would have done that first, but the process here began the opposite way. We're at the foot of Baja where there are not many Airstreams. Then someone put one up for sale. Down the Street. 34 feet. Good price. I lept! But it's too big for our space. Now of course, I'm looking for other places to put it, still planning for the project I've described here but thinking more loosely about where the Airstream halves are going to come from.

I have a looooooong love of tiny, but mostly handmade houses. You're speakin' my language. Henry David Thoreau also famously said "Simplify, simplify, simplify." I can't say I hew all that closely to that guide, but that didn't stop me from putting that bumper sticker right on top of my desk.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Talking

What would be the serial number on the other half?
Old 04-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Good question! Maybe it would shift to a cereal number?