Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Anybody ever heard of P&S Trailers?

They sure don't care much for this site.
P&S Trailer Service - Airstream Restoration and Refinishing
davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I'll bite - why do you say that....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Same...
References for the refinished Airstreams maybe
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Refinishing

I have seen some nice finish work done by them. I have also seen some not so good technical work done about three years ago. They did fix the problems after the trailer was brought back to them.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I've heard of them and had work done by them. They put all the awnings on my motorhome. It was cheaper to have them install them than it was to buy the awnings direct from ZipDee and install them myself. I've also known many satisfied and repeat customers of them. They do more than polishing and refurbishing... they will do pretty much any work on Airstreams.

I don't see what about their website makes them look questionable?
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Yes, I visited there a couple of years ago. I would be glad to share my impressions and some photos. They do good work, from what I saw finished and waiting to be picked up. They were putting finishing touches on a very nice theme trailer in the shop when I was there. The polishing shop goes non-stop. I understand they do polishing jobs and some other repair work for the factory at Jackson Center. I will try to find my photos of the visit.
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Kevin and Stever are a pair of the nicest, giving, and honest craftsmen around. They not only care about what they do; but about their clients. Enough has been pointed out above about the quality of their work so I feel obliged to point out the fine type of folks they are..........thanks GUYS.......God bless........Dennis

PS.....YES they did a total rehab on my 88 several years ago that still has folks bragging about it.
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
I called them and made a visit a couple of years ago. I have photos I will post later. When I got there, I got the impression that they were snowed under with backed-up jobs and were short-handed. The phone rang non-stop in the office.

In terms of the actual physical plant, they have three big dairy barns and separate spaces for polishing, for welding, frames and structure, and sheet metal, and for interior work. All of those spaces were humming along.

I wonder why they would give that kind of negative message about the forums. But, I get that kind of negative vibe from people sometimes about the forums. If I had to say who and why, my experience has been with people who have a favorite hometown repair shop -- of which there is NONE in Indianapolis. The negative people were of an advanced age, and they generally did not trust the internet -- a generation gap. I have been warned to stay away from the forums, don't follow the advice, get second and third opinions. I usually respond saying I am very happy with all I have learned here, and if it were not for the forums, I would not have bothered to buy a fixer-upper. This is an amateur enthusiast meeting place, although many professionals participate, and for whom I am grateful, and I mean "amateur" in the best possible sense: ama-teur - Latin for, "We do it for the love of it."

I betcha this kind of drama goes on in other restoration forums. Arguments, differences of opinion and method, down-right rudeness and hostility, etc.

I am guessing, they might have been dissed on the forums by some other business, or they were second-guessed by someone here on the forums. I can think of one member whom I have not seen posting in a couple of years. Is he sick? Hurt feelings? Off climbing Mount Everest? I have seen some negative stuff here, (do NOT mention "catalytic heater") but there is so much helpful info, I don't pay much attention to the negative people.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Have I understood correctly? P&S gave negative feedback to someone about the forums, right?

P&S were not given negative feedback by someone on the forums?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Anybody ever heard of P and S Trailers

Another satisfied customer of P and S Trailer Service. My understanding is that they have been in the business of polishing Airstreams since about 1964. They polished and Plasticoated my '64 Overlander eight years ago, and the finish is still very nice today . . . and my coach came out with the "original sheen" finish that I had wanted . . . not mirror bright, but with the sheen that it had when it was new in 1964.

The photo above is of my Overlander a few months before the Ruths polished and Plasticoated it to original sheen.

The photo above is of the Overlander a few weeks following its trip to P and S Trailer Service for its exterior restoration.

I am very pleased with the results of the restoration and its durabiity. The Plasticoat has held up well with little more than Walbernize coatings twice per year.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAnne View Post
Have I understood correctly? P&S gave negative feedback to someone about the forums, right?

P&S were not given negative feedback by someone on the forums?
That's what I understood also, but I guess the crowd's off and running on the other track until the OP comes back and clarifies it.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Herding cats!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
When I mentioned about some of the advise that I've received here about the challenges of buying a used coach he said I needed to turn off the site. That the site was full of hooey. That if I'd established a relationship with the seller I should go with my heart and my head.
It was kind of endearing actually.
It's kind of like telling your doctor that you read something on the online.
They hate that stuff.
Lol
davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv
When I mentioned about some of the advise that I've received here about the challenges of buying a used coach he said I needed to turn off the site. That the site was full of hooey. That if I'd established a relationship with the seller I should go with my heart and my head.
They hate that stuff.
Lol
That's a different impression than I got from the OP and thread title.

I would say their advice is sound given the situation. When buying an Airstream, there's no way someone can give you a better assessment on the forums or by digital means versus seeing it in person. People on the forums will give you opinions all day long about pictures of a coach. A great thing about airforums in this perspective is the searchability for an inspector. Get one that will look at it in person or take it to a pro, like p&s.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
The response you quoted is the OP. He or she is simply saying he spoke with someone at the shop that said not to use airforums for restoration advice.

One thing I will agree with is that a DIY restoration is not for everybody. But the problem is not the forums, its the seduction of the silver trailer and the misconception of 'how hard could it be to clean it up and polish it' vs the reality of what is usually involved. That said, it comes off as a bit of a hard sell to 'turn off the site'. Knowledge is power, and there is more here with regards to AS than in any other place.
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Kevin, NICE TRAILER. But they put your number on backwards

DUH.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Impressive work, now I only have win the lottery. $$$$$$$

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
My 72 Overlander was plasticoated by P&S about 15 years ago. Still has good shine, granted it's experiencing Airstream pattern baldness on top a little but that is to be expected. That is a picture of it in my avatar. When I called I got right through and spoke with a very helpful gentleman.
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
It's what I would expect to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
They hate that stuff.
Lol
There is a certain amount of misinformation* posted here but much more valuable posted also.

RVs are no different than any hardware item sold used.

"Try to "establish a relationship" with someone who is selling you a product", sounds like advice that I would expect from someone who makes a living selling used products.

If I buy a used product, I seek out advice from informed third parties, not the individual selling said product.

Ken

*Definition of misinformation - Stuff I don't agree with.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Anybody ever heard of P&S Trailers?

Greetings polarlyse;!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Hey Kevin, NICE TRAILER. But they put your number on backwards

DUH.
The number on the pre-restoration photo was my fault . . . can't stand heights so I had my eyes closed while trying to place the number and managed to attach the 3 backwards making it look more like an "E". I was going to change it after the 1998 WBCCI International Rally in Boise, ID . . . but friends in the Vintage Airstream Club encouraged me to leave it that way as it made my Overlander easy to identify.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote