Seeking out the wisdom as I have always received such great help here. Hoping soon the trials of new ownership will be past us. I've seen two other posts on refers not working recently and a bunch on much older (70s) refers not working but still none covering our situation.
We have a Dometic RM2862 in our 05 Safari. We noticed it stopped cooling when the produce started going bad. It lost all cooling and has been down for about six days. Here's what we know/have done:
- Threw out all food. Have jug of water in fridge, ice packs in freezer.
- There was a recall in 2008 for our model but it doesn't look like our serial # was involved. No idea if PO submitted for recall.
- We are plugged in to shore power. When I switch from AC to Gas using buttons, gas does seem to fire up.
- I have shut down all breakers on shore power and tested other items on same 12v
fuse and those are functioning.
- I have unplugged from outlet in outside panel and tested with hair dryer and plug is working.
- Coils in back are not hot.
- I unplugged thermistor from control panel 18 hours ago. Heard a click when I unplugged it.
- There is/has been no ammonia smell and no yellow powder or residue anywhere.
- We are level and haven't moved the trailer since 12/28/14.
We still have no cooling at this point. It seems based on my research on here that our fridge should last a lot longer than 10 years. I am trying to troubleshoot with my Dad from afar and will be purchasing a multimeter tonight to test control board. (I know I should already have one but the newbie gene is still strong with this one.)
I saw a youtube video on replacing the cooling unit and that seemed quite overwhelming but I also don't want to fork out $1200 for a new refer if not necessary. Mobile RV techs seem limited in my area and I would prefer to try everything I can first before paying those trip fees.
Any and all wisdom and guidance is appreciated.