Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Another rear separation tale...

Here is a prime example of rear separation most likely caused by a hitch that has been installed on the rear end of an Airstream. If you look at the pics you can clearly see a hitch and the tell tale elephant ears. For all you folks that are doing this that think it can't happen to you, seriously heed the factory's warning that it's not a matter of if, but more a matter of when:

eBay Motors: 2000 AIRSTREAM SAFARI 25' LS (item 110356219563 end time Mar-17-09 16:06:39 PDT)
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I noticed that also...that same trailer is for sale here in the classifieds.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Sharp eye Silvertwinkie!
The rear hitch is still installed and will probably be represented as a "Great custom feature" It's sad. I hope the new owners know better that to hook a bike rack or worse yet, a genset back there.

M
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
You guys must have a better eye than me. I would never consider installing a hitch on the rear for this reason but i dont see after looking at the pictures closely the separation that you see. Is it in the picture of the water hose??

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I guess I'm clueless. I see the elephant ear(s), but I don't see how that repairs the problem, if indeed the shell has come off the frame in the back.

And it's hard to believe, Michael, that a bike rack could cause separation on a 25'. I might believe it on a 31'. Help me out here.

And to think I made the rear end bed in my Soveriegn relatively heavy, but the front end bed will be aluminum and very light. Got that backwards, didn't I?

Zep
Old 02-25-2009, 04:36 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
down south , South Carolina
What tale do the elephant ears tell? I can see them on the enlarged picture, but what do they cover up or reinforce?
Dieselgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:52 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Here is a link to more information about the elephant ear fix. Included is part of the original Airstream Service Bulletin #146.
A Bad Case of Rear End Separation

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:14 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
As part of rear end fix for this, the exterior is cut to gain access to the mounting areas of the body to the frame. Once fixed, a piece of alum is riveted back on both sides. Though the body issue resolved, one would hope that the internal components that are connected to the body and floor and may have parts that go below the floor and mounted to the frame, like any plumbing etc in the immediate areas would also be checked and fixed if needed. I just could not believe I found a relatively newer Airstream trailer with a hitch and the elephant ears. We've had just so many conversations with folks saying I'm doing it and I'm ok, even though the factory said not to do it. This was just a gleaming example. See pic below where you see a slightly curved piece of alum at the lower left that is riveted to the body that I can assure you was not an original factory build. There is another one just like it on the other side of the RV. This Airstream had the body separation and the odd thing is, they left the hitch on the Airstream as the smoking gun.....just look closely at all the pics on the auction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0d7a_12.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	75985  
Old 02-25-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
As part of rear end fix for this, the exterior is cut to gain access to the mounting areas of the body to the frame. Once fixed, a piece of alum is riveted back on both sides. Though the body issue resolved, one would hope that the internal components that are connected to the body and floor and may have parts that go below the floor and mounted to the frame, like any plumbing etc in the immediate areas would also be checked and fixed if needed. I just could not believe I found a relatively newer Airstream trailer with a hitch and the elephant ears. We've had just so many conversations with folks saying I'm doing it and I'm ok, even though the factory said not to do it. This was just a gleaming example. See pic below where you see a slightly curved piece of alum at the lower left that is riveted to the body that I can assure you was not an original factory build. There is another one just like it on the other side of the RV. This Airstream had the body separation and the odd thing is, they left the hitch on the Airstream as the smoking gun.....just look closely at all the pics on the auction.
The elephant ear repair, for rear end separation, coming from Airstream or not, is a "joke."

Almost always, the floor channel is broken, which must be repaired and then plated.

Doing the elephant ear repair, does not allow you to see the floor channel cracks, let alone the ability to weld the channel back together again.

Nor does it allow you to see the lack of rivets that no longer hold the interior quarter panels to the floor channel, since most of them are sheared.

Without exception, that repair has a limited life and will fail again and again.

The second time around, with that type repair, will be very costly.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The elephant ear repair, for rear end separation, coming from Airstream or not, is a "joke."

Almost always, the floor channel is broken, which must be repaired and then plated.

Doing the elephant ear repair, does not allow you to see the floor channel cracks, let alone the ability to weld the channel back together again.

Nor does it allow you to see the lack of rivets that no longer hold the interior quarter panels to the floor channel, since most of them are sheared.

Without exception, that repair has a limited life and will fail again and again.

The second time around, with that type repair, will be very costly.

Andy

Andy,

I am reading this thread with interest - and a degree of trepidation!

Reason being that just last fall, I bought a 2005 Classic 30 from a dealer, and thought i was getting an added bonus when I found it had a full size hitch receiver on the rear. I figured I would use it for our bicycles.

After reading comments on this forum, I decided against using it. In fact, before leaving home on our first trip, (we are in San Diego with the trailer right now) I figured that if I wasn't going to use it I should remove it as the hitch itself is a substantial useless weight. So I took an angle grinder to it and cut the hitch off before we left home.

Now my dilemma is this .........

So far the trailer performs fine and we really enjoy it. I don't see any evidence of any problem having been caused by the previous owner - but then, I don't know what to look for, and maybe at this stage damage is hidden anyway.

Any recommendations? Should I leave well enough alone and hope I am lucky, or is it recommended to look more deeply even if this incurrs cost to remove underpanels or such?

Thanks ....... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Andy,

I am reading this thread with interest - and a degree of trepidation!

Reason being that just last fall, I bought a 2005 Classic 30 from a dealer, and thought i was getting an added bonus when I found it had a full size hitch receiver on the rear. I figured I would use it for our bicycles.

After reading comments on this forum, I decided against using it. In fact, before leaving home on our first trip, (we are in San Diego with the trailer right now) I figured that if I wasn't going to use it I should remove it as the hitch itself is a substantial useless weight. So I took an angle grinder to it and cut the hitch off before we left home.

Now my dilemma is this .........

So far the trailer performs fine and we really enjoy it. I don't see any evidence of any problem having been caused by the previous owner - but then, I don't know what to look for, and maybe at this stage damage is hidden anyway.

Any recommendations? Should I leave well enough alone and hope I am lucky, or is it recommended to look more deeply even if this incurrs cost to remove underpanels or such?

Thanks ....... Brian.
You can easily do the following yourself, without taking anything apart.

Stand on the bumper. Jump up and down on it. If the frame does not move away from the shell, then your trailer is in great shape.

You can be the observer and have someone else do the jumping.

If it does move, then a visualy inspection should be made by someone that can properly repair it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Another example of what not to do.

The 69 Overlander we purchased on ebay had this wonderful attachment on the rear bumper....and yes, we had rear end separation. At the time, I had no idea how bad it was to have something like this bolted on the rear bumper....I suspect they carried a tire back there. Lucky for us, we were broadsided and our trailer was totaled before we had to deal with the problems and the trailer now has a salvage title--which is probably a good thing. paula
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear view 020.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	75999  
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Silvertwinkie

The picture you posted above.

Looking at it I would assume that both rear quarter panels have been replaced because of the absences of the blue strip that appears forward of the quarter panels and again across the back of the trailer. I assume they removed and reused the rear panel.

Having repaired front end separation on my trailer removing these panels is only half the job. One would have to look inside to see if the interior panels have been removed to gain access to the floor channel.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Truk, Airstream and boat

A few years ago we pulled in to an RV park for the night. A few spaces down was a Pickup truck with a 25' or 27' Airstream hooked up and then hooked to the Airstream was a boat and trailer. I was going to go down and introduce myself the next morning and maybe take some pictures but they were already gone. I have never seen anything like that before or since.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Silvertwinkie

Having repaired front end separation on my trailer removing these panels is only half the job. One would have to look inside to see if the interior panels have been removed to gain access to the floor channel.
You could be right. You'd have a far better understanding than I would. One could only hope the job was done right. No offense meant to the seller, but if I ever came across and Airstream with a hitch or elephant ears, I would run, not walk. Of course I have other issues, but none that can be solved on this thread.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

where is your rear end separate?

Where exactly does it separate at, when your rear end separates? It seems to me that it would be obvious from the outside, but I'm hearing that this is not the case. Is the frame with the floor, separating from the C channel and shell. That seems like a weak connection, especially on a long trailer. It also seems that it would rip the bellypan loose from the shell if it separated there.
I is confused
Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
As I understand it the body with floor and "C" channel detach from the frame and actually "float" on the frame in the back. Tell tale signs would be as Andy described earlier and/or noticing a gap at the bottom of the trailer. What folks do is cut 'er open, re-bolt down the bottom of the shell to the frame then replace the cut exterior with these ears.

On a side note, it's been also noted that newer Airstreams have a plate in front deleted in production that may also lead to front frame separation. 2Air has had his unit fixed at least one time.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Elephant ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
As I understand it the body with floor and "C" channel detach from the frame and actually "float" on the frame in the back. Tell tale signs would be as Andy described earlier and/or noticing a gap at the bottom of the trailer. What folks do is cut 'er open, re-bolt down the bottom of the shell to the frame then replace the cut exterior with these ears.

On a side note, it's been also noted that newer Airstreams have a plate in front deleted in production that may also lead to front frame separation. 2Air has had his unit fixed at least one time.
The elephant ears repair was recommended to us for the 69 but our rear bathroom floor was rotted so I don't think it would have worked.......there was no wood left if the C channel.....if I understand the true nature of the problems we had.....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 02-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
The elephant ears repair was recommended to us for the 69 but our rear bathroom floor was rotted so I don't think it would have worked.......there was no wood left if the C channel.....if I understand the true nature of the problems we had.....paula
Paula's raised an important point. Floor rot at the rear may often be a precipitating factor for rear separation.

Just re-bolting the channel to the frame is merely an interim repair, because attaching the shell/lower C channel to the frame at only one point won't work for long. The aluminum channel is simply not strong enough for one bolt on each frame rail to do the job. The shell/channel needed to be fastened more or less continually to the perimeter of the floor to spread the load out. And that requires a solid floor. Otherwise, the problem will come back, sooner or later.

Inland Andy has thoroughly detailed the an effective approach elsewhere.

I would add that it should probably be done at the same time as replacing the rotted bathroom floor . . . and I see a bathroom restoration in my future. I'm just hoping to put it off for another couple of years. At least the climate is quite dry here, and things don't rot very fast.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Add to that worn out axles and bingo.....

I didn't notice the sloping floor to the rear when we first got the trailer but after taking a few trips on California freeways on old axles....well things started to come apart inside....the rivets were popping and the overhead bins were moving....so the trailer was being bounced around which probably made the floor disintegrate........so, we knew we needed to replace the axles and then the RES and missing floor....and well you know the rest of the story....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593