Old 02-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Silvertwinkie

Having repaired front end separation on my trailer removing these panels is only half the job. One would have to look inside to see if the interior panels have been removed to gain access to the floor channel.
You could be right. You'd have a far better understanding than I would. One could only hope the job was done right. No offense meant to the seller, but if I ever came across and Airstream with a hitch or elephant ears, I would run, not walk. Of course I have other issues, but none that can be solved on this thread.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
where is your rear end separate?

Where exactly does it separate at, when your rear end separates? It seems to me that it would be obvious from the outside, but I'm hearing that this is not the case. Is the frame with the floor, separating from the C channel and shell. That seems like a weak connection, especially on a long trailer. It also seems that it would rip the bellypan loose from the shell if it separated there.
I is confused
Rich

Old 02-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
As I understand it the body with floor and "C" channel detach from the frame and actually "float" on the frame in the back. Tell tale signs would be as Andy described earlier and/or noticing a gap at the bottom of the trailer. What folks do is cut 'er open, re-bolt down the bottom of the shell to the frame then replace the cut exterior with these ears.

On a side note, it's been also noted that newer Airstreams have a plate in front deleted in production that may also lead to front frame separation. 2Air has had his unit fixed at least one time.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 02-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Elephant ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
As I understand it the body with floor and "C" channel detach from the frame and actually "float" on the frame in the back. Tell tale signs would be as Andy described earlier and/or noticing a gap at the bottom of the trailer. What folks do is cut 'er open, re-bolt down the bottom of the shell to the frame then replace the cut exterior with these ears.

On a side note, it's been also noted that newer Airstreams have a plate in front deleted in production that may also lead to front frame separation. 2Air has had his unit fixed at least one time.
The elephant ears repair was recommended to us for the 69 but our rear bathroom floor was rotted so I don't think it would have worked.......there was no wood left if the C channel.....if I understand the true nature of the problems we had.....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
The elephant ears repair was recommended to us for the 69 but our rear bathroom floor was rotted so I don't think it would have worked.......there was no wood left if the C channel.....if I understand the true nature of the problems we had.....paula
Paula's raised an important point. Floor rot at the rear may often be a precipitating factor for rear separation.

Just re-bolting the channel to the frame is merely an interim repair, because attaching the shell/lower C channel to the frame at only one point won't work for long. The aluminum channel is simply not strong enough for one bolt on each frame rail to do the job. The shell/channel needed to be fastened more or less continually to the perimeter of the floor to spread the load out. And that requires a solid floor. Otherwise, the problem will come back, sooner or later.

Inland Andy has thoroughly detailed the an effective approach elsewhere.

I would add that it should probably be done at the same time as replacing the rotted bathroom floor . . . and I see a bathroom restoration in my future. I'm just hoping to put it off for another couple of years. At least the climate is quite dry here, and things don't rot very fast.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Add to that worn out axles and bingo.....

I didn't notice the sloping floor to the rear when we first got the trailer but after taking a few trips on California freeways on old axles....well things started to come apart inside....the rivets were popping and the overhead bins were moving....so the trailer was being bounced around which probably made the floor disintegrate........so, we knew we needed to replace the axles and then the RES and missing floor....and well you know the rest of the story....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
1975 29' Ambassador
Greenfield , Massachusetts
Silvertwinkie
Good catch. I would have never noticed that in the pictures. I am hoping that if I were looking at it in person that I would.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I noticed something else. The snow was crunching under foot,snow on the ground and when he opened the toilet NO ANITFREZZE No pink in the pottie.
No Thanks
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #23
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Wow, I've seen a ton of trailers with bikes, etc. on the stern hitch mount. What a freaky
thing; thanks all for pointing it out.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
You can easily do the following yourself, without taking anything apart.

Stand on the bumper. Jump up and down on it. If the frame does not move away from the shell, then your trailer is in great shape.

You can be the observer and have someone else do the jumping.

If it does move, then a visualy inspection should be made by someone that can properly repair it.

Andy

Thanks Andy - will do! I would have my wife stand on the bumper while i observed, but she might take it the wrong way, so i guess i'll have to train her as a separation observer!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Thanks Andy - will do! I would have my wife stand on the bumper while i observed, but she might take it the wrong way, so i guess i'll have to train her as a separation observer!

Brian
Brian.

Great thought.

Andy
Old 02-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I just realized this is Jim May RV in Findlay, OH--and authorized Airstream dealer!

I could almost understand an SOB only dealer not knowing or disclosing something like this since most don't even know what a rivet is and Airstreams are foreign to them, but an actually Airstream Dealer? This is a significant repair. They should know better and provide full disclosure to unsuspecting buyers...."Lucy, you got some splaining to do...."
Old 02-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ok, are you all sitting down?

I asked the seller a question via eBay...here was his response...keep in mind this is an authorized Airstream dealer:

"I guess it could have been previously repaired. It has a hitch and a water spout. I did mention it in my video. It has no signs of any damage. It looks like the repairs to the corner of the unit were done properly..by whom and why I just don't know. This unit is very clean and way nicer than most I that I have seen in the same years. The hitch is mounted to the frame; the body lies on top of the frame and is bolted down to it. If you would like it removed we can do that for you. Most people use hitches like this to mount bike racks. Hitches do not cause rear end separation. I fact I have never seen rear end separation on any Airstream. We sell 40 new and 50 used per year this is a common accessory. We put on 5 hitches per year."

What I find really interesting are the last 4 sentences. If you call the factory, they will tell you straight out not to install anything on the rear of an Airstream. I myself contacted the factory a bit ago and asked that very question. The answer I got was it was not a matter of if, but a matter of when. They tech further went on to say that anyone doing this is just asking for trouble. Yet here we have a dealer, who is affiliated with the factory going against the manufacturers best practice.

Now I know some of you will say, yea, he's a salesman, he knows no better. I would argue that he should know better and that to a rabbid Airstreamer like one of us, we'd have picked up on it in a second, but what if some trusting person who comes in to an Airstream dealer and gets this kind of lip service:

"Hitches don't cause rear separation" Yes, this is true, it's what you connect to the hitch that does

"We put on 5 hitches a year" --really on Airstreams like this knowing folks are going to attach things to the hitch?

I don't know, maybe it's me. I have a very low tolorance for folks who do not know the product, yet sell it like they know what they are talking about.

I pitty ther person that pays $20k for this unit.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
I just realized this is Jim May RV in Findlay, OH--and authorized Airstream dealer!

I could almost understand an SOB only dealer not knowing or disclosing something like this since most don't even know what a rivet is and Airstreams are foreign to them, but an actually Airstream Dealer? This is a significant repair. They should know better and provide full disclosure to unsuspecting buyers...."Lucy, you got some splaining to do...."

Coincidentally, I also bought my 2005 AS from Jim May - and as you will note above, it came complete with 2" hitch receiver mounted as per my posts earlier in this thread.

Incidentally, I initially did stick my bike rack into the receiver when we first got the trailer just to get a feel as to how solid it seemed. It seemed rock-solid and I didn't notice any indication of differential movement between bike rack and trailer body - but then I probably wasn't looking as closely as i should because at that time I had not read all the info about separation problems.

Anyway, I never used the hitch after reading everyone's comments, and I have already removed it - fingers crossed that now damage has already been caused. My guess is the previous owner pulled a boat or motorcycle trailer, because in addition to the hitch, there was also a flat four pin electrical trailer plug at the back.

So far, I am happy enough with the trailer, and also I believe the price I paid was "fair" (Unless there is a lot of damage I don't know about yet!)

I was a bit surprised that Jim May's policy on used trailers was zero guarantee. I expected maybe 30 days, but since then I spoke with a dealer nearer home and they had the same policy so maybe it is not unusual.

Jim May did allow us to sleep in the AS overnight on their property so we would have a better chance to check the trailer over. We, did, found a couple of very small items which they fixed for us the following morning before we left.

As for being surprised at an AS dealer selling units with hitches on and saying nothing - well, after we left Findlay, we went down the road 50 miles to Jackson Centre. While on the tour, I asked the tour guide (retired AS employee for many years) about using the hitch for bikes - he assured me it would be no problem at all! I now know that is not the official word from AS!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote