Old 02-08-2010, 06:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mechanicsville , Virginia
Another 1970 Land Yacht

I am still looking at Airstreams. With the all the snow we have had it s been impossible to finaliza and pickup the trailer. anyway, i have added another land yacht to the decision mix.

Can any of the experts tell me anything by looking at this picture? I still have to go look at the inside. But I thought I would ask.

Thanks
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NOR'EASTER 11-12_800.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	95781  

Old 02-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Hard to say without more info. But, this is what I would be thinking:

It's a 31 footer which will limit access to some campsites. Any signs of rear end separation? There is nothing in the photo to indicate axle problems, but I would check it out. Rear or center bath. A center bath is less common and seems to have less problems with rear end separation.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250PUP View Post
I am still looking at Airstreams. With the all the snow we have had it s been impossible to finaliza and pickup the trailer. anyway, i have added another land yacht to the decision mix.

Can any of the experts tell me anything by looking at this picture? I still have to go look at the inside. But I thought I would ask.

Thanks
Tim
Tim.

Based on the hinges on the entrance door, that trailer is at least a 1974 model, not a 1970.

Andy
Old 02-08-2010, 06:37 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
As Lum says...Mot much to add based on one photograph. A 31' rear bath with a ZipDee awning. Can't tell if the LPG tanks and part of the awning hardware are missing based on the photo.

Rear end separation is definitely something to look for as well as floor rot in the bath area. Rear bath removal is not a chore for the faint of heart so it would be a good idea to investigate any noted floor rot or soft spots in that area.

The other issues are standard fare. Check appliances, running gear, plumbing, etc...

Regards,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
That one has a new-er type AC ontop...than ours.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Tim.

Based on the hinges on the entrance door, that trailer is at least a 1974 model, not a 1970.

Andy
Upon further review, the entrance door lock says in cannot be newer than a 1977 model.

The AC is not original and the LPG bottles are missing,

The awning appears to be a Zip Dee, but the arms for the awning, are not shown in the photo.

The axles appear to be ok, but lifting one side of the trailer, to see if the tires drop about 3 inches, will confirm that the rubber rods still have life left in them.

Andy
Old 02-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sorry, I made a mistake it is a 1974. You guys are very good or have too much time on your hands... ; ) You decide !!!!!

I just want to be able to get his thing home. The I can do the work. What is the major difference in a 1970 vs. 1974 Land Yacht.

Talk to me about the awning arms, could they be detachable or post that do not attach the trailer.

I see the AC "not being original" as a plus !!!!! Means I have a better chance of it working !!!
Old 02-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I am not sure when Airstream came out with the separate gray water tank, I could be wrong but I think it was sometime in the mid 70's. So you might check and see. That looks like a Coleman AC and for sure is not the original Armstrong, but it is several years old. The parts for the Zip Dee awning can probably be ordered. It looks like it has been sitting there for a while, so all of the issues on running gear and tail lights will need to be addressed before you move it. Since it is a rear bath model the rear end separation comes up since this happened in the rear end bath models most often. It appears that the skin in the center of the trailer is buckled a little, maybe this is just the lighting in the picture. Check that out since this could indicate frame damage.

All of these things can be fixed with time and money. As someone said on another thread, consider what ever you pay for the trailer as the "Down Payment". The full cost may never be know since these are usually a work in progress that takes forever. But you will enjoy the experience.

Don
1976 31' Sovereign
Heading to the Texas Vintage Airstream Rally starting 2/10/2010
Old 02-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250PUP View Post
Sorry, I made a mistake it is a 1974. You guys are very good or have too much time on your hands... ; ) You decide !!!!!

I just want to be able to get his thing home. The I can do the work. What is the major difference in a 1970 vs. 1974 Land Yacht.

Talk to me about the awning arms, could they be detachable or post that do not attach the trailer.

I see the AC "not being original" as a plus !!!!! Means I have a better chance of it working !!!
The Zip Dee awning arms, are permanently attached to the trailer. But they could have been removed from some reason. Look for some mounting holes about a foot above the rub rail, at the first and last main bows. That's the same thing as immediately below the 2 ends of the awning.

The basic difference between a 70 and 74, is that the 74 has a gray water tank, or I should say, it was built with one. I have no idea what the current owner may or may not have done to the trailer.

Inquire what was done, or removed, and "WHY".

I don't have too much time on my hands, but I happen to have a little spare time, while I'm in Hawaii.

Good eyes? Well maybe. I have been with the Airstream program for 43 1/2 years, so I should know a little bit by now.

Take your time getting the trailer home.

Did you do the axle test to see if the rubber rods are still ok?

Regards.

Andy
Old 02-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Going to see it this weekend, snow allowing.....Virginia has become the great white north. I will do the test you recommended. I also found a local service that will pack the bearings so that will be done, if I pull the trigger and before I pull it home.

The guy I am getting it from got the trailer as payment on a roofing job.....says he has title, so thats all I care about. Also this mobile RV service offered to check the trailer out too.... So we will see.

Thanks for the valuable incite and go enjoy Hawaii. I am also talking to the owner of a 92 Excella 1000. That trailer seems huge (but only 3 ft longer than this one so not that much bigger, I guess). A lot more money but a lot less work !!!!

I have the bug pretty bad so I will be an owner sooner rather than later.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
(but only 3 ft longer than this one so not that much bigger, I guess)
Guess carefully.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote