Old 11-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
1969 27' Overlander
Santa Cruz , California
anodized: can I shine?

Hi to all. I,m not sure I belong since I am the proud owner of an Avion 1969 27' trailer that I will be working on as soon as I get back to Mich.
My question is that the man I bought from had started in two areas to bring the shine out. As it turns out the Avion has a dull finish and was not meant to shine. Anodization. The polishing is not an easy thing and I am wondering if it is better to try to return to the dull finish. Is the skin weakened by the process of polishing and can it be reversed?

hot rod ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Anodize is chemical conversion process. It does not peel. There are repair procedures that could have been used. I would research the internet for a company that does anodizing in your area and talk to them to see if they can re-anodize that area on the trailer. The polishing operation should not have structurally weakened the trailer.

dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I wonder if sandblasting with very fine sand at low pressure would bring it back to look like the rest of it. I have a 1964 21' Avion so I have a good idea of what the finish looks like.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
If you can - post some pictures I would like to see what the other guy accomplished.
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
It is very unlikely if not impossible that you can re anodize unless you are willing and able to remove the affected areas and give them to an anodizer. Also not likely to match the finish in any way satisfactorily.
My suggestion, as someone who works with aluminum a great deal in my business, is to clean it and leave it exposed to air under cover of a roof , preferably outside , and let it anodize itself. It won't take that long , just ask people who polish and wax their trailers. They have to do that to keep the aluminum from oxidizing, which anodizing actually is.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote