Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
An Essential Airstream Tool : The Humidity Meter

With hundreds of holes and openings in an Airstream, it's a good idea to be vigilant and make sure there are no water leaks. Let's not forget that Airstreams are built with floors that will deteriorate when wet (it's called rotting).

Reading a post like the following about a rotting floor in relatively recent model is simply gut wrenching:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...m_medium=email

There have been posts years past on humidity meters, but today there are models available that are without sensor pins, that can make a reading up to 3/4" deep into a surface, etc.

Any suggestions on what you are using and how effective it has been for you? How often do you take readings and where are the sensitive areas that need to be monitored regularly (if any)? Any happy ending stories?
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:05 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
Interesting question.

Bump
Al U. Minium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have 12 doberman brand water alarms placed around the perimeter of the shell. It is my early warning system for floor protection. My moisture meter I for diagnostic work after an alarm has sounded.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:34 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
I think you need a model with sensor pins to get through your vinyl floor or carpet, I don't think a model without pins would be effective in this circumstance.
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran&frank View Post
I think you need a model with sensor pins to get through your vinyl floor or carpet, I don't think a model without pins would be effective in this circumstance.
I agree. In addition, keep a piece of pine in the garage where it is always dry. This is for comparison to your readings of the AS floor. I believe, depending where you live that one can become alarmed unnecessarily with a floor reading. The meters are pretty sensitive. In my area, the normal humidity makes for a 6% moisture reading, due to humidity penetrating its surroundings. The pine board in the garage (always dry) is your baseline.

Obviously, different in AZ and different in MS.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I agree. In addition, keep a piece of pine in the garage where it is always dry. This is for comparison to your readings of the AS floor. I believe, depending where you live that one can become alarmed unnecessarily with a floor reading. The meters are pretty sensitive. In my area, the normal humidity makes for a 6% moisture reading, due to humidity penetrating its surroundings. The pine board in the garage (always dry) is your baseline.

Obviously, different in AZ and different in MS.
I Think if you wanted a baseline board, Id also keep one in a drawer or back of a cabinet inside the trailer as this would tell you your baseline inside the trailer.??
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
More info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I have 12 doberman brand water alarms placed around the perimeter of the shell. It is my early warning system for floor protection. My moisture meter I for diagnostic work after an alarm has sounded.

Can you give us more information on the module you use, and where and how you install them?
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
PEN
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bryant , Arkansas
Following