Old 07-31-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
lascassas_camper

1975 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
Aluminum Argosy? Mid '70s?

I've been looking at a few Airstreams, the latest one I've found (like the previous one) is sitting on the "back 40" in a fence row.
This one is an Argosy double axle thats fairly short...maybe 24'. Its clearly marked as an Argosy, but its not painted, its all aluminum skinned.
The entire original interior is missing, it was a rear bath with a front goucho. The sink and kitchen appears to have been on the left side of the trailer as thats where the remaining plumbing and gas lines are located.
I can't tell what was on the right side by the door. Something was definately originaly amounted from floor to ceiling by the entry door on the right side.
The rear bath area is at best 3' wide, shower on left toilet in middle, sink (to the left of trailer) and closet with breaker box and inverter far left corner.
Nothing inside the trailer is salvagable, the walls, floors and exterior are in good condition with no leaks that i've noticed.
I'm leaning towards buying this trailer ($1200) because the skin is in good condition with no dents, glass is intact and it has a valid title.
The interior is a blank slate, I wanted a trailer to remodel so I'm reasonably happy with the gutted interior, although I would have prefered the bathroom and kitchen cabinets have been intact for patterns.
If I get the trailer, I'll definately need some advice on the interior, mainly the bathroom and kitchen cabinets. I want an open floor plan and large bathroom. (3 little kids need a tub!) So what should the interior look like????

Old 07-31-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Here is a link to a bunch of documents that Airstream has just posted. It includes floor plans for the Argosy line as well.
Airstream, Inc :: Travel Trailer Specifications

The Argosy was aluminum under the paint except for the one piece steel end caps. They will not polish like the rest of the trailer and are often painted to match the aluminum.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Actually, the interior can have a bunch of different layouts, depending on its length. Argosy was fairly innovative in their designs. As well as the Airstream links, you can look at vintageairstream.com and see pictures of many trailers. There are some Argosys out there with both an open floor plan and a large bathroom, as well as neat 28' center bath trailers (no big tub) with dual panaromic windows, front and rear.

$1200 is massively tempting, especially given your intent to remodel. Given the comparatively low price of Argosys, I wonder though if you would be better off in the long run paying $4000-$5000 and getting something that had OK paint and was all there.

Tom
Old 07-31-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
It prolly looked like mine inside though as it was the most popular layout. click link in signature to see. If it is a 24 or smaller, I would be cautious getting it if you have 3 children. That'll be a pretty tight.
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
lascassas_camper

1975 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
This trailer is all aluminum, no paint anywhere on the skin, and it looks like it never had paint its got that clear coat goo peeling off it.
The tailights are black squares and look kind of funny on the trailer. (I have a thought this trailer is actually an Airstream and someone badged it as an Argosy, or ???)
Anyway it has Missouri tags and its parked in the back field in TN, no paperwork to be found. If I get it I'll hunt for a serial number. Haven't heard back from the "owner" even though he contacted me offering to sell it. We'll see.

(I'm looking hot an heavy but so far all I've found are the big old 31 footers. I've had one of those and they are to big for me. Except for the single axle 20 foot AS i found in a poision ivy patch)
Old 07-31-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Does it have the front windows that wrap around to the side?
Old 07-31-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I am wondering if this might not be an Airstream product or was massively modified.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
lascassas_camper

1975 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
It has the wrap around windows in the front of the trailer, and no entry light. I took photos with my phone, but I can't upload them. If I get to buy the trailer I'll definately have pictures for you to look at.
I compared it to the 74 23' Safari on ebay now, and the two are completely different.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Find the VIN and we can decode the numbers. It will be on a plate on the trailer as well as the title.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
lascassas_camper

1975 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
Bigoofball; Looking at the pics of your Argosy and Your tow vehicle an mine are very similar!
My main tow vehicle is a 1992 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon, factory 5000 # tow rating, mechanical fan, auxilary trans cooler, class 3 frame hitch, rear coil over shocks, 5.7 L V8, brake box, weight dist hitch, etc. (My car looked like yours, wood an all) Shes now Maroon with wood delete.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache_Camp View Post
I've been looking at a few Airstreams, the latest one I've found (like the previous one) is sitting on the "back 40" in a fence row.
This one is an Argosy double axle thats fairly short...maybe 24'. Its clearly marked as an Argosy, but its not painted, its all aluminum skinned.
The entire original interior is missing, it was a rear bath with a front goucho. The sink and kitchen appears to have been on the left side of the trailer as thats where the remaining plumbing and gas lines are located.
I can't tell what was on the right side by the door. Something was definately originaly amounted from floor to ceiling by the entry door on the right side.
The rear bath area is at best 3' wide, shower on left toilet in middle, sink (to the left of trailer) and closet with breaker box and inverter far left corner.
Nothing inside the trailer is salvagable, the walls, floors and exterior are in good condition with no leaks that i've noticed.
I'm leaning towards buying this trailer ($1200) because the skin is in good condition with no dents, glass is intact and it has a valid title.
The interior is a blank slate, I wanted a trailer to remodel so I'm reasonably happy with the gutted interior, although I would have prefered the bathroom and kitchen cabinets have been intact for patterns.
If I get the trailer, I'll definately need some advice on the interior, mainly the bathroom and kitchen cabinets. I want an open floor plan and large bathroom. (3 little kids need a tub!) So what should the interior look like????
My Husband and I just spend 19 days in a 25footer with a 9 and 11 year old. Believe me I wouldn't want to do that again. Kids need space, they have so much "stuff. Please rethink. Maybe start looking for a 29 footer. Better to be comfortable. For 2 people the 25 foooter is a great size, but more than that it is CROWDED!!!!!

Annette
Old 07-31-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache_Camp View Post
Bigoofball; Looking at the pics of your Argosy and Your tow vehicle an mine are very similar!
My main tow vehicle is a 1992 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon, factory 5000 # tow rating, mechanical fan, auxilary trans cooler, class 3 frame hitch, rear coil over shocks, 5.7 L V8, brake box, weight dist hitch, etc. (My car looked like yours, wood an all) Shes now Maroon with wood delete.
Towing with the wagon is a blast!! People just love to see that set up.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
lascassas_camper

1975 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
I caused quite a heated argument on here when I had my 31' AS, the grief I took for towing that 31' with my wagon was in bad taste! I can tell you though towing with that car is a breeze, low to the ground and properly set up she can breeze by F250's going uphill while towing. That big old V8 turns just 1900 rpm @ 85 mph (not towing of course). We leave our new car @ home and always take the wagon on trips. I love that car!!!!
Old 07-31-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
It's a nice car to drive and tow with. I would not hesitate to tow a 31 with mine either. I don't use it much anymore so it's for sale as well.