Old 04-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Hoover , Alabama
All Electric AS

Has anyone converted there AS to an all electric systems?

I know this eliminates boondocking (without a generator), I am just wondering if anyone has done this to there TT.
C

Old 04-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
This has been covered many times - search around especially in the electrical forums.

The general issue is that propane is just too convenient for a mobile trailer. If you will ALWAYS be plugged in, then it's probably fine.

The question really is what problem are you trying to solve with it?

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is done quiet often because all electric appliances are cheaper to buy. You see a lot of cheap and dirty remodles done with electric fridges etc. In my opinion it hurts the resale value because it eliminates buyers that want to be self contained. Also it is hard to run everything with all electric unless you upgrade. Heating is the main thing that comes to mind. With resistance heating you are very limited with a 30A circuit. The same goes for water heaters. A gas fridge works on both AC and gas so no advantage there other than all electric fridges are cheaper. Most AC units have add on heater packs that keep the trailer comfortable in mild weather. When it gets below 30F the only way to get enough heat is to use gas. Heat pumps don't work below about 40F.

Perry
Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
All electric is certainly technically possibe. I have even delivered SOB trailers built that way from the factory. If it is used in really cold weather a 50 amp redo would be needed.
In my opinion it puts unacceptable limits on the use of the trailer and I wouldn't even consider it. Of course we boondock a lot also and try to get rid of any electric loads we can..

I would even consider changing to a gas television if I could find one
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
C,

If you are going to spent any amount of time on these forums you should know that you need to consider the difference between opinion and experience when shifting through the advice.

Many of the opinions given so far are based on bias and conventional thinking and many of the points offered –about resale, power draw, el cheapo renos, etc. – are just conjecture or plain wrong.

Whether you go all-electric depends mostly on how you plan to use the trailer. If you’re going to be mainly in the boonies then it’s not practical. I think you already knew that when you posted.

Otherwise, it can be a real option.

I used a small, very light and sharp looking 8.6 cubic foot LG 110v household fridge, as well as an LG Art Cool Split System AC unit, in my remodel of a 1976 Argosy.

My trailer is certainly no “cheap and dirty” make over and the appliances have performed perfectly for 5 years now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	galley.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	156572

Click image for larger version

Name:	inside.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	156573

There is more information in my post #12 here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...dge-87416.html

and in my posts #35 and #40 here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...a-89158-3.html

Sergei
Old 04-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
C,

If you are going to spent any amount of time on these forums you should know that you need to consider the difference between opinion and experience when shifting through the advice.

Many of the opinions given so far are based on bias and conventional thinking and many of the points offered –about resale, power draw, el cheapo renos, etc. – are just conjecture or plain wrong.

Whether you go all-electric depends mostly on how you plan to use the trailer. If you’re going to be mainly in the boonies then it’s not practical. I think you already knew that when you posted.

Otherwise, it can be a real option.

I used a small, very light and sharp looking 8.6 cubic foot LG 110v household fridge, as well as an LG Art Cool Split System AC unit, in my remodel of a 1976 Argosy.

My trailer is certainly no “cheap and dirty” make over and the appliances have performed perfectly for 5 years now.

There is more information in my post #12 here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...dge-87416.html

and in my posts #35 and #40 here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...a-89158-3.html

Sergei
Sergei

Thank you.

I'd rather run an all electric system due to my being more familiar with electrics not to mention cost differences.

Question, did you put in an new converter for your unit?

I am looking to place a microwave, frig, toaster oven in the unit. Just wondering if you have had any experience with the appliances running an all electric unit.

Thank you

Charles
Old 04-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Dispite what Sergei says I do have experience. I lived in a 27 ft 5th wheel while going to college and it was all electric but my dad upgraded everything to 220V operation. I even had a 5 gal electric water heater. I used the roof top AC in the summer and the heater strip in the winter if you call winter in FL winter.

I looked at several trailers that had aftermarket AC only fridges and laminate flooring to cover up the floor rot. I am not saying you can't make a classy rebuild and go all electric. It does limit you to places where you have a 50A 220V hookup and even some camp grounds don't have 50A. If you never plan to sell it then do what you want but keep in mind that it may effect the resale value.

Perry
Old 04-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have to agree with Perry.
As long as you are willing to accept the limitations imposed by an all electric trailer there is no problem. You basically compromise the ability to be self contained which can limit any ones travel style.

I too speak from 40 years experience and I have wintered in Tennessee where it is fairly mild using electric heat by running a seperate 220 line into the trailer. It could not have been done on a 30 amp 110 service

There is a practical reason why gas appliances are used. It is simply that you can pack a lot of energy in a small container and carry it with you.

It all comes down to the compromises one is willing to make to accommodate your chosen life style.

I do not worry about the resale value of my trailers at all.. I make changes that make them work for me.
In my case all electric would not work at all. For some one else it could be totally different.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Charles,

The electrical set up in my trailer is nothing special.

The battery compartment and other equipment like the converter/charger, 12v breaker panel and the inverter are shown in post #649 in my main thread, here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-47.html

In post 289 of the same long thread, a shot of the stuff when I first set it up during the renovation:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ml#post400091C,

I used the two original 110v circuits that were in the original trailer, just up-grading the wiring.

This was a mistake caused by my lack of knowledge about things electrical. And insufficient foresight.

I did use a very nice Blue Seas 110v distribution panel from the marine world but I should have put in more circuits, and more outlets too. I can trip the breaker by using the toaster when the microwave is running.

Besides the fridge, the other electrical appliances in the trailer are an espresso machine, coffee grinder and Vita Mix.

'Hope this helps,

Sergei

Sergei
Old 08-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
Awesomeness. In a word.

1964 24' Tradewind
Hendersonville , Tennessee
I have built/restored them both ways, original and extra-crispy...no wait that's not right. I tell my customers, to think long and hard about their plans for the trailer and also about resale. It does matter. It boils down to preference though in the end. If it were my preference, I'd put it back the way it was. Then if and only if you ever sell it, you're not excluding potential customers.