Old 01-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Mark,

You are absolutely correct! I have spent the past day searching for a post in a thread I read 2 months ago (that I can't remember where, for someone who was making window weep hole covers) Very frustrating!

Dave,

Your not weeping in your beerski are you???

It was for the MH I'll bet.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Thanks CHIEF for that little tip. I had never tried that.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
One way to narrow down a search here is to "search post" instead of "search thread". Key word will be highlighted. TMI can always be a problem when doing any internet searches. GOOGLE can definetly be your friend when shotgunning for information. Search engines are only as smart as the programer and the person searching.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Muncie , Indiana
Skater,

Thanks for the link to that old wiki attempt. Kind of a bummer.

I think your thoughts are quite valid and probably the best we could do given the reality of things.

I struggle in situations like this because it seems like one of those deals where what would be best for everyone in the longrun can't gain enough traction to take off. You know what I mean? Not to get too political, but like our government, can't make the hard decisions to do what's best now to get us into a better place in 10 or 20 years, but stuck dealing with the tyranny of the urgent. [rant over ]

What I envision for a wiki for streamers may diverge a bit from that previous attempt, but I still think that all the challenges you posted would apply and make it difficult to take off. I have more of a vision for a repository of helpful information for restorers and DIY'ers vs. trying to compile accurate histories of all things airstream.

One of the things that I really appreciate about the forums is the diversity of ways in which people have solved problems and the sheer amount of variety in addressing various "issues" we find in our renovations/restorations. I don't envision a wiki that says, "THIS IS HOW YOU INSULATE AN AIRSTREAM. This is the best and only way" That is not the spirit of these forums and you can imagine the drama that ensues as people of varying opinions let loose.

But rather, I imagine a well thought through HIERARCHICAL system in which information can be shared on any of these topics as options for how to address issues.

An example:
Topic: Insulating our Airstreams

Background information: Convection, Conduction, Radiation, Thermodynamics Primer (These could all be links to wikipedia or other good sources)

Agreed Upon Best Practice Important Things to Consider
- What is there agreement on pretty much across the board?
- What are the guiding principles when insulating a trailer?

Major Wall Approaches:
> Foil Faced Bubble Wrap
> Fiberglass
> Insulation Board
> Combination Approaches
> Spray Foam
> Coatings

Major Floor Approaches:
> Insulation Board
> Fiberglass Batt
> Combination Approaches

Discussion Section: here we could invite several "experts" to share their thoughts on why they do what they do and how they do it and how it's worked.

Sourcing Materials:
- A list of online and/or local suppliers for insulation materials
- A list of general/popular/often used materials with rough pricing for people to begin to budget against. Include disclaimers

Each subsection could link to certain airforums.com threads which connect to the topic or discussion.

Just some ideas about "what could be" though, again, I feel like you're probably right about just adding some sticky FAQ's to the top of the forum sections that serve some of this purpose for us. Seems a shame to me, but I'd be up for helping to conglomerate some info if it would be helpful to us. I'm certainly no airstream restoration guru, but can do some grunt technical work that will benefit us all.

What do we think....
mark
Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Mark, I don't think it's a bad idea, but it's a lot of work to come up with that consensus. We all know that obviously hot-button topics like hitches will generate a lot of "discussion" with little or no consensus. But, even topics like insulating for the winter can generate quite a few differing opinions - and let's face it, depending on what you're doing, you need different things: my occasional few-day trips during December and January are far less demanding than, say, spending all winter in the camper. I don't mind refilling a propane tank every few days, but if I were doing it and paying for it all winter, I'd likely have a different opinion.

I'm willing to write up some of my experience and I'll listen to and incorporate feedback for improving it, and of course I'd need help in areas that I haven't done. But it'd be nice to have a moderator drop in and say, "If you do that, I'll make it a sticky thread."

But I'd love a source on, say, Pex tubing that was written by and for Airstreamers. Meanwhile I'm sure I could summarize the threads on winter camping for others, since I have some experience with it myself.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Muncie , Indiana
Skater,

I know what you're saying. I'm overly optimistic oftentimes and I'd like to think we could put together a variety of opinions and advice without needing to get into black and white blanket statements. But I'm likely wrong. I wonder what would happen if a few of us could pick a topic or two and conglomerate some info seeking appropriate help where necessary. Basically trying to put together some of these "sticky" posts. We could see where they might go??

It might be a start and as we ask for help we can re-edit the first, "master" post incorporating changes, updates, etc.

I would love to help write one of these, but feel woefully incompetent, as I'm just starting my renovation. I would be willing to give it a shot, sifting back through the mountains of posts on whatever topic and compiling. Would you be up for something similar along the lines of winter camping?

Maybe we can even try to standardize how we address the topics, probably won't work across the board, but worth a shot?

What do you think? Give it a try? Feel free to pm me?

Thx,
mark
Old 01-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Sure, I'll give it a shot for winter camping. Give me a couple days or more to work on it. After I post it, I'll PM a moderator and ask if they'll sticky it, and we'll link to this. However, I doubt the re-edit rules can be set on a per-message basis - I think they're set board-wide (currently to 15 minutes).

Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Muncie , Indiana
Skater, sounds great, do you want to put something together, and I can do the same on the pex topic. Then maybe we can take a look at each of them, feedback for one another, then post. I'm sure we'll get some feedback from users and then we can update and maybe then, repost a more final, edited version that we could get stickied?? Would that make sense or small I talking nonsense? :-) :-)

Interesting to see how some of this might be received. Or not ;-)

Thx man, Mark
Old 01-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
That works. I'll PM something to you in a couple days.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
THere are a few challenges in what you seek... but I agree it would be nice. A lot of the vintage repair stuff is different from person to person... to try write a '1974 Argosy' wiki would be hard, as almost all of them have been updated or otherwise mangled from the factory... and a lot of Airstreams don't leave the factory the same (even new ones).

A lot of the other stuff is generic RV repair. Coming to the Airstream-specific forum is a good place to start, but you'll likely find info on plumbing, electrical, propane... one hundreds of RV sites.

The other issue is trying to put some type of weight to the responses... some are of value, some are completely wrong. There should be a way for the community to rank a response in terms of its relevance to the question at hand, and its accuracy. This would help people narrow down to that one thread, or one post, that actually contains the answer.

In the meantime, take a quick lesson on Google and learn some more of the advanced search features. You can limit the search to a specific site for example. Take a look at the 'advanced' search tab and you can use date parameters and such. Crafting good search queries is an art, and getting to be the only way to find the 'rightest' answer on the net...
Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
One thing we could do is to set up a thread on each topic that is "stuck" at the top of a forum. We could set the first post to be editable indefinitely so that you could build an info base.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
One thing we could do is to set up a thread on each topic that is "stuck" at the top of a forum. We could set the first post to be editable indefinitely so that you could build an info base.
That's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Muncie , Indiana
Janet - I second Skater's "awesome!" I guess we'll see how things go and if it's an idea that could gain some traction. Not too hard to unsticky them eventually and let em die if need be. Thanks for your willingness to help.

Skater - Thanks for giving it a shot

Friday- Again, I agree with what you're saying, but a couple thoughts/ observations/ pushback . One thing i love about this site is how comprehensive it is and what a large and diverse and high quality user base there is. There is a TON of great information in this forum database, BUT [and i happen to believe it's a big BUTT, pardon my pun] this wealth of information is largely difficult to access. I've repeatedly been told to learn to "learn to do more advanced google searching" or look elsewhere. For me I just think, "really this is the best we can do?" Go to another site to search for information buried in this site then go back and forth and back and forth and back and forth till you hit the right thread....

I guess I just want to find a better way that can streamline the info finding process.

Again, I don't think on many of these topics there will ever be consensus reached (ie hitches) But what I do think we could do would be to conglomerate information which covers the main ideas, the main approaches, the main options along with links to pertinent threads so that people can have a centralized spot to start from. Then they can go around and look through many of the threads that we can reference in our "articles" we can also draw from external articles which may have overlapping content. Then people can draw their own conclusions which is what will happen anyways.

I'm eager to see what we might be able to come up with on a handful of topics and see if there's any use for them. Let's give it a shot...

That's my vote,
Mark
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #27
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markeyro View Post
... I've repeatedly been told to learn to "learn to do more advanced google searching" or look elsewhere. For me I just think, "really this is the best we can do?" Go to another site to search for information buried in this site then go back and forth and back and forth and back and forth till you hit the right thread....

We have tried to help with this over the years and you can find a google search built in now. If you click on the search drop down, there is an option to use google or the standard native keyword seach.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AIR search.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	175939

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Muncie , Indiana
Ha! well thanks Janet, isn't that a bit helpful! shows how tunnel-visioned i guess i can be.

appreciate it!!