Old 12-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2014 28' Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Airstream Tech Days

When I bought my motorcycle a few years back, I didn't know a thing about it or how to perform DIY repairs, service, or upgrades (riders refer to these as "farkles" or "functional sparkle"). I found there were lots of like-minded riders of my particular bike, so I organized the first "tech day" where we'd all gather and help each other. No fees, dues or complicated memberships. Just owners wanting to get together once or twice a year.

Most of the riders show up to learn or watch from those who have more experience, or just stop in to check out how others have upgraded their hoopties.

It became wildly successful to where our last few tech days have averaged about 35 riders, plus even a vendor who shows up to pitch his great upgrades. It draws riders from all over the PNW and is held 2x a year. We actually had to limit the number of major projects to tackle on any one event given the popularity, and initiated a sign up sheet for very involved projects. The best part is how I've met some lifelong friends and riding buddies as a result.

Been thinking about maybe trying this with my new Airstream. I've got a few things I'd like to do, like upgrade the converter, and perhaps install an antifreeze bypass valve. Later on it might get more involved. Or just see what others have done and get inspired.

Biggest issue is where to hold one of these. Most of the campgrounds prohibit repairs, and I know no one who would remotely have space to house 2-6 or more trailers likely to show. It's possible to perhaps find a state or local park, or perhaps a high school parking lot on the weekend. Maybe even the local dealer? Ideally a location where someone would have some resources to enable group sharing of things like specialized tools.

I know rallies exist in part to serve this function, but a rally is a serious time and travel commitment, and looking at the various rally forums, these all seem to involve at least a few days travel. I'm talking something that would be a one day event, from 8-4 for example. If it takes longer than a day, it's probably not something appropriate for a tech day.

So is anyone remotely interested in an Airstream Tech day in the Washington area? Anyone actually doing this out in the AS forum land? Does this idea not really work out for trailers, or does it work out fantastically and I just don't know it yet?

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab CTD 4x4
Lara Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Hello Neighbor - you must be just over the hill from me.
Anyway, I troll the Forums then ask questions, then go very slowly on the work. I've also attended a few vintage trailer rallies and learned a lot about the ancient beasts. I think a lot of that knowledge could easily be transferred to new trailers such as yours. Personally, I would be interested in attending a "tech day" as you suggest, but I wouldn't take my trailer to it. Good idea though. Keep us posted if you do one in WA.

DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1977 31' Sovereign
Covington , Washington
Yes! Wonder if Airstream Northwest in Covington would allow you to put something on like this? Their techs could be there to answer questions etc.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Airstream Forums mobile app
mariusg78 is offline   Reply With Quote