Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

East Lyme , Connecticut
Airstream Service Recommendations: North East

We purchased a used 2015 30' Classic a few months back. We live in Connecticut and need to take it in for general servicing and diagnostics (converter?). I am not very mechanically inclined...so need to rely upon the kindness of strangers (AS technicians)...so am looking for a shop we can trust. I would like to get recommendations for AS service shops in the Northeast. I have looked up the online reviews / feedback regarding AS dealers in the region and the on line feedback (mostly via Yelp! and Facebook postings) varies significantly - from very negative to glowing recommendations. However, none of the feedback / reviews seemed to be from Airstream owners regarding sales / service for Airstream related issues. I would welcome your input regarding shops in my region you have used, and liked, to fix minor / major issues with your AS trailers.

Thank you for your help.
chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
HI Chester, welcome to the forum. You will find an enormous amount of experience and knowledge on the forum about AS's. I too, purchased a 2015 Classic about 3 mos ago. Great Coach ! I have learned much on here about maintenance on my coach and RVing in general. My wife and I originally came from N. Scituate RI; not too far from you. These days we reside in beautiful Saint Augustine, FL. Unfortunately, I cannot help you with the service recommendation, but good luck. Hope you find a good one.
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum, chester! There is a good shop a little NW of you, south of Poughkeepsie NY, by the name of Classic RV, run by George Hernandez. The following threads will provide more background on George and more general information:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ct-156048.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...-ny-72065.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...ie-102844.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...rk-158226.html

He was with Airstream of CT for many years, and started his own business when that dealer closed. Homepage with new address:
http://www.classicrvrepairrestorations.com/index.html

We are headed up there in a couple of weeks for an annual inspection of our brakes and so forth. If you have questions about any of the posts in those other threads, it might be easier to Quote the post in question there [see Quote button below], so that the reply will make sense in the context of that other thread, as I did recently.

FYI when you Quote someone, this site will usually send an email to that person, informing him/her that they have been quoted, so you are more likely to get a reply by using the Quote function.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- FYI the new Google-powered search function above, with the blue border, works great. Here are the search results for "Classic RV Hernandez" FYI:

https://www.google.com/search?q=clas...=airforums.com

. . . which reveals other mentions in various threads. We found George to be very capable, knowledgeable, and fair in his pricing.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you want to stick with a dealer, Colonial in NJ is probably the closest. Since you are out of warranty, there is no vital need to go to a dealer. On the other end of the spectrum is just your average RV place down the street. Most of the systems on an AS are common to RV's in general. Unless you get into something weird (swapping out aluminum panels) you probably can get things done locally.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hey Chester - welcome!

Depending on what you need - in this case, a converter, you're looking at a non-Airstream-specific component and should be able to have that issue addressed at any local RV service center.

If it's an issue specific to your Airstream's skins, ribs, construction, etc., my $0.02 is to go to the factory in Ohio. Yes - a pain in the butt, yet worth it for the peace of mind that it's being done right.

Alternatively, there's a former AS shop (guy's name is George - mentioned earlier) or the Colonial folks in NJ/PA - not a long drive for you.

I hope this helps. Happy camping!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Service in NE

Chester....I agree with the the previous comments made by OTRA15 regarding George Hernanze's place for service. He has been working on my Airstream for 10 years, first at the Airstream dealer in Connecticut and then at his own shop after the Airstream dealer closed down. He is a good and honest mechanic. His place is located just south of Rte 84 at 73 Route 9, Fish Kill, NY 12524. His phone number is 845-319-6007 or 914-523-8310.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
Fredericksburg , Virginia
Unless you are under warranty, I wouldn't go to an AS dealer for service. We suffered through poor quality workmanship, long waits to get in for service, and longer wait once in the shop. We found a good mechanic that also does repair work if there is damage. Atlantic RV is in Culpepper, VA - too far for you, but want to mention them for anyone in our area. It looks like you have some good recommendations above. Good luck! Andi and Paul Gabler
agabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Columbia , Connecticut
Hi Chester I also live in ct mostly work on my own AS . I have also used Gorge Hernandez and he knows what he doing. I also use freedom RV in Franklyn ct and am very happy with the work they done for me contact me if you want more info good luck
Ducky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:11 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If you don't mind the trip I would recommend Colin Hyde. He has a great reputation among Airstreamers.
PLattsburg, NY
(518) 578-7772
colin@colinhydetrailerrestorations.com
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:16 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

East Lyme , Connecticut
Search for Qualified RV Techs in NE

I wanted to thank those of you who posted great suggestions regarding locating quality service techs / shops in the NE. I have connected with George Hernandez in Fishkill NY and he is great and has been very helpful...and extremely fair in his pricing. I will also give Freedom RV in North Franklin CT a try as well...given that they are very close to where we live. Once again...thank you for your help and suggestions.
chester is offline   Reply With Quote