Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
You can do tires and brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
That is sad to hear. I guess JD Sanders it is.

I am getting my new (to me) trailer next week from Colonial RV, and I have a positive mindset that everything will be fine. But if I ever need service, I guess it depends on whether the trailer is towable or not. If it is towable, I can take it to JD or somewhere, but if not, I will need someone to come to me. I guess that will be if there is a problem with tires or brakes. And I intend to take care of all the small stuff myself.
If you can change a flat tire, you can do tires and brakes.

New tires - jack up one side, remove wheels, take to tire shop, remount, rinse and repeat for other side. As an alternative, get two trailer aids, roll up front tires on them, pull rears and take to tire shop. Rinse and repeat for fronts.

Brakes done similarly. Drums, remove wheel, pop bearing cap off, remove cotter pin and castellated nut. Pull drum. You can replace shoes and magnets, but it's not that much more to just pull the backing plates (four bolts) and replace the whole brake assembly. Changing pads on disc brakes (if your trailer has them) is even easier.

Lots of info on here about DIY tires, wheels, and brakes.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
That assumes I have a jack, which I did when I had a house. And a garage. Now I live in a condo where they won't even let me have an F150...

I think this is my excuse to pick up a shiny new 3 ton jack from the store. If I could convince the wife...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
I am glad to read this thread too, as I purchased my Airstream from Tampa RV yet if I want service it is a three month wait. They seem to take care of their big RV's first. And the one great service manager, Harrison, disappeared. Maybe he was too good. There is also the RV dealer near Fort Myers. I was passing and stopped by there recently to inquire about the Airstreams on the lot, of which there were many. They were friendly and accommodating for my questions. But it is a bit far to go for service.
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I'm in Naples all winter, which is just 45 minutes from North Trail RV. Their service department has 'sent' me loads of work. Things that they repeatedly screw up or simply can't or won't attend to. Many if my clients don't have a very good impression of their service department!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Totally recommend JD Sanders--Alachua, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
So TampaRV is an Airstream dealer, but I've heard that dealers don't like to service Airstreams they didn't sell. So if I need service on my AS, are there any recommended options in the Tampa/Orlando area?
Well...I DID buy my 2007 AS in Tampa. And I DID drive there to get work done. And the work was marginal at best. The Tampa dealer had given me the talk about how I would be treated very well if I bought there---it turned out that was not true.
So, while at Jackson Center getting major work done, two guys told me about JD Sanders in Alachua--just north of Gainesville, Florida. It is a longer drive than my trip to Tampa and TOTALLY WORTH IT! The service at JD Sanders is excellent.
And the next time I buy, I will drive up to Alachua to spend my money.
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I've had two Airstreams serviced at jd Sanders. One purchased from another dealer and the current one or hased frim them
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I hate auto correct. The current one purchased from jd sanders and warranty work on both there.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:39 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Corolla , North Carolina
We were on our way back to NC from the Keys. Lost shore power. Stop in to Tampa AS and was told they could look at it in a month.
Called Sanders and was told to "come on in". We were there 10 minutes. Problem found, repaired, and in less than one hour.
From our experience I would give them four gold stars.
gwilsonobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
I am glad that most of the comments are positive regarding the Sanders in FL. Hearing over the last few years all these positive comments, my wife and I were returning to our home in FL last year and decided to check these guys out and looking forward to it. Upon arrival there was no one to be seen after 10-15 minutes browsing the store I proceeded to the office area in the right rear area of the building and inquired if there was some there that could help in purchasing some items. "There will be some out to help you in a minute", well, 10 minutes came and went and so did we. I am disappointed in our visit there, now I have to scratch another place that didn't seem to want my $$$$. Generally I do not post negative comments here, in this sense, when I am ignored while trying to spend my money, well, there you go! I am hoping that North Trail as a new dealer will be more accommodating. I have noticed in some prior comments that remains to be seen! RV One ?????

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:34 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I think that all dealers have good days and bad days. Some dealers have a lot more bad days than others. I have read a LOT of bad things about RV One. It seems to be very consistently negative in the forums. And I have read a LOT of good things about JD Sanders. But obviously I have read some of the opposite.

I for one will be taking mine to JD Sanders first if I ever need service based on the positive reviews I have read. That guarantees me nothing, but that's how I roll...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:54 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Anytown , USA
I don't know about TampaRV service department, but I recently purchased a brand new FC 27FB from them, and the purchase and delivery was a disaster. I would not take it back to them to do any work. We took it to an Airstream dealer in Michigan to do some warranty work and they did not care that we didn't buy it from them.
happycampr is offline   Reply With Quote