Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Payson , Utah
Airstream rollup doors repair

I have a 1973 International Landyaught, it has several of the rollup doors that have come apart, I think I have most of the slats for the doors and don't want to go the expense of purchasing the roll up material at over five hundred dollars for a 4X8 sheet. I need ideas on how to repair, I have thought about gluing the slats to cloth, what kind of glue would work best in this place where the doors still have to roll into a circle as they are pushed up?
Jimmy Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Airstream rollup doors repair

Greetings Jimmy Turner!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Turner View Post
I have a 1973 International Landyaught, it has several of the rollup doors that have come apart, I think I have most of the slats for the doors and don't want to go the expense of purchasing the roll up material at over five hundred dollars for a 4X8 sheet. I need ideas on how to repair, I have thought about gluing the slats to cloth, what kind of glue would work best in this place where the doors still have to roll into a circle as they are pushed up?
When I was faced with Tambour problems on my Minuet, I read through the threads on Tambour repair and decided that new material was the route for me (the vinyl tambour in my Minuet had bowed as it aged and couldn't be successfully straightened). Basically, a jig helps to provide a stable form to contain the tambour strips while they are re-glued. The one that I saw had fixed bottom and right side rails with a moveable left rail and top rail. The tambour strips are placed in the jig face down and a piece of canvas is glued across the back leaving about a half-inch of exposed tambour along each edge (the canvas needs to be held clear of the tracks that the tambour runs in to keep jamming to a minimum). I am sure that there are photos and step-by-step directions for the restoration process here on the Forums . . . try a Forums Google Search for "Tambour Repair" and/or "Tambour Restoration".

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Tambour

I have a solution that has worked VERY WELL! for me. I use carpet seam tape, which is a weave material coated with glue. You remove the tambour from the overhead or under bunk storage, lay it face down on a clean flat surface. The handle/pull down will need to be positioned so it is level with the rest of the "slats" . Cut a piece of the seam tape to run up and down the tambour, I use 3 per door, and do attach some to the Almun handle/pulldown. Using an iron on high you "iron" the seam tape to the carefully aligned pieces (I remove the paper backing, seems better that way) until the glue melts and then bonds the seam tape to the back of the tambour. Let it fully dry and insert it back into the plastic rollers and reinstall. Only 1 seam in my trailer pulled apart in 2 years. And thats probably because I glued/iron the tambour under my stove,while it was still in the track, from the water heater opening, to say it was a stretch/tight fit is true, BTW do you want to see my iron tattoo? I hope this helps, John
ps got my seam tape at the orange box store
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Jon, that's a great solution!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Payson , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Jimmy Turner!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

When I was faced with Tambour problems on my Minuet, I read through the threads on Tambour repair and decided that new material was the route for me (the vinyl tambour in my Minuet had bowed as it aged and couldn't be successfully straightened). Basically, a jig helps to provide a stable form to contain the tambour strips while they are re-glued. The one that I saw had fixed bottom and right side rails with a moveable left rail and top rail. The tambour strips are placed in the jig face down and a piece of canvas is glued across the back leaving about a half-inch of exposed tambour along each edge (the canvas needs to be held clear of the tracks that the tambour runs in to keep jamming to a minimum). I am sure that there are photos and step-by-step directions for the restoration process here on the Forums . . . try a Forums Google Search for "Tambour Repair" and/or "Tambour Restoration".

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
Thank you Kevin This will help lots.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Payson , Utah
John that sounds like a real sound idea, you said you took the paper backing off the Tambour, how did you manage to get it off clean. I would really like to try this method
Thank you so much.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
clarify

Jim, I took the paper backing off the seam tape, not the tambour .And it did not come off 100%. john
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Payson , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
Jim, I took the paper backing off the seam tape, not the tambour .And it did not come off 100%. john
Sorry I misunderstood, but this idea sounds like a really good idea, I appreciate
this info John.