Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Rossco

1978 31' Sovereign
Toronto , Ontario
Airstream Repair manual for Dummies

Hi All, I am an Airstream Virgin who recently purchased a 31 foot 1978 International Landyacht "Sovereign" (rear bath) . I leave from Toronto across Route 66 to Nevada for Burning Man in 2 weeks. Wondering if there is a simple starter guide for troubleshooting common repair issues while I am on the road. The original manual seems a bit daunting.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rossco
Rossco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
Wondering if there is a simple starter guide for troubleshooting common repair issues while I am on the road. The original manual seems a bit daunting.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I don't think there is such a critter as a starter guide for troubleshooting. There are so many features, each of which has a different troubleshooting decision tree.

But both professionally and personally, one rule I use for troubleshooting is, "Check the easy things first." The rule came about because I'm basically lazy, and don't want to spend any more time and effort than I have to. If the solution IS one of those easy things, you're back in operation quickly. And if it's not, you haven't wasted much time eliminating them as causes.

For example, if the problem is 12v electrical, check the fuses. If the problem is 120v electrical, check the breakers. If the problem is propane, check the tanks to make sure they're not empty. And so on.

If it turns out to not be one of the easy things, the next rule I use is, "Check the most common problems next." That often requires experience, either your own or that of other folks here on the Forums, to know what the most common failure cause is.

Another useful rule is, "Know when to throw money at it." When you reach the limit of your own expertise, you run the risk of making things worse, so sometimes it's best to hand the problem off to a professional.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Rossco

1978 31' Sovereign
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks so much Protagonist. I will apply your pragmatic approach before jumping to any conclusions. Will keep fingers crossed I don't hit any major snags while on tour. Appreciate your thoughtful suggestions.

Rossco
Rossco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Haven't read either, but consider "Restoring a Dream" or "Newbies guide to Airstreaming" at vintagetrailersupply.com.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Have you look online at the "RV Bookstore" ?

RV bookstore - the world's largest online RV bookstore

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote