Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Airstream View Post
That said from someone who paid over 100K for a new one... really!!!...

first off... sealing the skins is a time out item... the new one are actually worse than the 30 years ones... ask me how I know from others in our club...

I get so tired of the people who flaunt money at a new one.. when the company doesn't stand behind a older unit. Something logically wrong with that thinking when they face the same wall of age eventually. What most do is flip the new unit they owned... leaving it to the newbie to get 'er fixed... and then make these kinds of statement ... risk exposure etc...

What I find funny is that after 5 years these same people then put a add in and think they are going to get the big bux for their used trailer...

Only thing is... after they make these kinds of enuendos the newbie balks at buying their old trailer.. and so now the person gets mad at the fact he lost all that money on on... and can't recover enough to go buy a new one.

We see these kinds of people pulling in new trailers... and group up as a click... thinking that they are tops... but, when the people who own the older units start compair'n ... these people get miffed when they got less for more money...

Sorry but its true...

I have owned 'em new and as you can see I own a 35 year old one now... wouldn't change or trade it for a new one... even if they gave it to me... the older ones have much more workmanship in them and after all the time.. all the problems have been dealt with... (go by any airstream dealer and you can see lots of new ones in for warrentee work... surprise what the factory is putting out these days... leaving it to the dealer to make right)

As to cost... new one are big bux items... where as the used ones are econimical.. and actually just as fun. When you can go out and buy 3 of the older ones for the price of a new one... if the older goes turtle.. you still have two more to go before you break even for a new one... (that really bugs the people who can't figure it out too...)

As to repairs and updates... the older one lend themselves to being up graded to items even airstream is not putting into the new ones yet...

i.e. New 4 stage converter that will along with LED's and new GC bats make your older trailer ahead of the newbie... and for much less in cost than a new one would be. I know I just did mine... putting a 80 amp progressive design 4 stage converter in along with new GC bats and box out in the A frame area. Then to save energy we went with the warm white LEDs. Gave the trailer a much more warm feeling with the lights on as well as the blue problem the bright white lights in the new AS are having with sleep cycles, eye problems etc...

Getting back to getting it worked on.... we found that their are several places that work ONLY on older airstreams but, these are not airstream dealers.. more independents. They do excellent work.

I saw one getting a new A/C unit put on.. and they had a roll around horseshoe shaped gantry that never touched the trailer... so no weight was ever put on the roof except for where the AC went.

So when you run into these 'businesses' which say they won't work on older AS I would take my business elsewhere.. as they usually are using the velvet glove treatment on the owners of new ones...and charging the big bux for little work... (ask me how I know from local experiance with one here) He charged the owners over 1500 bux to do the maintenance service'ng on a 2 year old trailer. When my friends got it home.. things were not right...and someone forgot to put grease in two of the wheel bearings... along with damaging the thing they broke off the water valve and used the 'parts on order from the factory' card.

When the owners in our club asked for help.. we went to the big box store and got a metal water valve fitting... for less and it was in stock... go figure. Fixing it... the service center called and said they had the part... and that airstream didn't cover it under warent'y... cost 38 bux and would be another 350 to put it in when they brought it back... ops... they told the shop its been fixed and only cost 9 bux for a metal one... 20 bux to put it in...

Boy did the owner get pissed... at the shop... threating that he would not work on their trailer again because they didn't use Airstream genuone parts... They felt like they had been run over by a bus... after he finished with his tripe about how they needed to keep the airstream with factory OEM parts... else the value of the trailer would not be their after "it was basterdized" said the owner.. and promptly rudely hung up.

Intemidation... wow what a case... but be glad you own a Airstream... If its bright and shinny and goes down the road... who cares whats inside so long as it works.. and goes down the road...

Check with other members as to where they are getting their GOOD OLD airstream serviced... else save the money and learn how to do it yourself...

I'm lucky.. I worked in the aircraft industry... so working with alu is not hard for me...
... and yes I smile at the people who go out and buy new ones thinking that they got their money's worth...

I have replaced and overhauled almost all the appliances in mine keeping track of how much I spent... total for a new water heater.. now 10 gal... new propane system, new heater, new water pump, new toilet (big high old age tetford glass) New cooling unit for the refrig.. new ignitor boards from dinosaur... new converter and LED lighting... and a few other misc things to make the silver bullet better than new... total cost less than 6K...

Now compaired to 170K for a new one... does it make economic sense to buy new ? (and most don't have the class inside... more like you looking at the inside of your beer can on the new ones...)

Good luck in mainta'n yours... they old ones are still better made. Not to mention cheaper to own too...
Not sure how to take or respond to your opening comments regarding my response to the OP. My point was simply that a dealer may not be equipped or staffed to handle 30 year old trailer issues.. That was not intended to be a shot at older trailers. I really like old Airstreams, my dad had one when we were kids, and that’s probably why I have one now.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #22
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Not far from the original poster but in a southerly direction is George Hernandez in Fishkill, NY. Classic RV is located on Rt. 9 just south of I-84 in Fishkill. Good technician and nice to do business with.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #23
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
It's a long way from where you are, but Oasis RV in Tucson does great work on Airstreams of all ages, it is an independent that specializes in Airstreams also does restoration work and can get hold of old parts. We like to know the people we work with, and they stand behind their work. I am certain that there are good shops all over the country that are under the radar. Once you find a good one in your area please share it with the rest of us - we may need them when traveling though your part of the country.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:06 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Just a wee bit of common sense to consider.

Trailers change over time. Parts become incompatible. Used parts are not dependable and they are getting expensive at Junk Yards. To install a new part into an old Airstream may take more than nuts, screws and some rivets... Those who do not restore 'Vintage' haven't a clue.

People that serviced trailers or automobiles in the 1980s and before have possibly retired a long time ago. Earlier models are really Do it Yourself restorations, not for those challenged by mechanical things and gizmos.
Things don't change that much.... you still have the same waist gates... water system etc... (after all moen still carries parts for the 70-on faucet...) electrical systems... wheels bearings , brakes etc...

so what is wrong with Airstream when they say 'no parts aviab' ?

yep it appears by their actions... that they are really after the new rig big buxs... older customers units be damm )

All these items on your OLD airstream are still used on the new ones... just new technology has come along making the items more effecent or economical.

Only a few parts are changed from year to year... and a lot of them are plastic... but, Airstream knows that they are going to age out... (is it planned obsolenscence.. you bet)

BY THE WAY... what is it with airstream not insulating under the floor. (belly pan) .. and now stating that the trailers are ONLY 3 season CAMPERS ?? so much for full timers.. huh...

The problem is the dealer is DISCRIMINATING against you and your airstream when they refuse to work on a labeled product... such as Airstream when it says right on their shingle... SALES AND SERVICE!!

AND.... why then doesn't Airstream allow after market vendors to supply parts for the older Airstreams !!!

Instead they say its THEIR PRODUCT... and WILL not allow ANYONE to meet the market demand for the older trailer speciality items such as the interior plastic end caps or light fixtures.

(the reason that a lot of old units are still out their and commanding interest... is because they were made with real wood inside and it is standing up to the test of time.. where as the other plastic pieces found in some newer old units... are not.. and no longer aviab...

This along with the fact that most owners liked the finished crafted rich looking wood interiors that don't look like the the inside of your beer can .. such as the newer cheap made ones are..

But, as most have found these older interiors are not what needs parts... No...its the same parts that the new ones come out with... such as waist gates, water pumps, heaters, etc.. all which are still produced and are on factory new ones. Yet because the unit is old... dealers won't work on them... ever wonder why...

Sure technology changes.. but why can't the engineers at Airstream make the areas accessable so that all one has to do is get the upgrade kit.. and have it installed... (my thinking here is like the water line issue) I had no problem changing mine from the gray old junk that was the standard at the time of manufacture... to the new PEX... was not a hard job.

So why is it that the dealers say... no wont do it... too old a unit.. what is old about PEX going in in place of the gray poly lines that Airstream used...

(lucky that the courts (only addressed residential installations..) and didn't require the RV industry to change 'em out once they found they were a health hazz'ard and mechanical deficencies.. but time saved 'em)

I look at it as a means of intemidating and forcing the consumer into buying new by keeping older parts off the market. (after all why would you buy a new piece of junk for mega bux... when you have a old piece of junk that still performs and does its job. ) Their new trailer sales would surly take a hit...if they were to allow it.. and probably the real reason why they won't let after market vendors make needed replacement parts.

As to getting yours repaired (i.e sealing between the exterior sheets) it is discrimination... as airstream still today rivets the two sheet togeather... the same way they did since the first ones. So when the dealer says I dont work on older units... he is discriminating... (cost estimate is done before work most of the time) and making you feel like you need to go get a new one so that you CAN get it worked on when needed...

If a Airstream dealer EVER said that he doesn't work on a Airstream product.. no matter the age... the first words would be... Really!!! let me contact my legal rep and let him know that your are discriminating against MY unit. Wanta bet he gets real nice real quick... as he is looking at his sales/business lic in dangling in the wind.

We had the same thing with the aircraft industry... and the legal people got them going in the right direction when they tried to pull the same stunt... a lot of them are not in business today because of their 'ego' ... with reguards to what they select to work on.

Again... I have found that their are a whole lot of other good aftermarket vendors and repair places that will welcome your business and know what they are doing... and do good jobs...with the owner satified and contenue'n on down the road...

But as the other says.. one today needs to be actively engaged mechanically to maintain their own older unit...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #25
17 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Langley , British Columbia
We have similar issues here. If you did not buy the trailer from them, they will not look at it. As frustrating as this is, it is none the less comprehensible.They are already swamped with work with a waiting list just to service what they sold. They simply do not have resources to help RV owners.

My fridge went on my non-Airstream trailer, and the RV shop told me I had to wait 2 weeks for them to look at it, then god knows how long to have it fixed.

So if you live in a place where your Airstream can be taken care of, you're in luck. Where we live in the Lower Mainland, they could use a few more RV repair centers and the big guys wouldn't mind at all.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Interesting comments, GM Airsteam, but, have you aware that the dealers are privately owned, and can pick and choose who they want to deal with. People seem to think that they can demand service, and that is not the case. Just as we can pick a dealer, or a campground, dealers are not obligated to give you service. this is especially true if you are a demanding type, or hae given the dealership hassle or grief prior. Warranty issues are a complete different matter, but once the warranty is over they have NO obligation to serve you. JMHO
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:07 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I was recently at Jackson center for service and saw they do work on older ones also. The question would be if you can get it there, are you waiting on it or leaving it. You would need to call and explain in detail what needs to be done and they may find a few more issues. I don't know how long you would have to stay with a leak, but I met someone who had been there a week already with a leak. You camp at night on their property if waiting. I had minor problems with a new one and it took 2 full days of work. It's worth the call in my opinion, and best place for service because all parts are pretty much in stock.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:19 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
Interesting comments, GM Airsteam, but, have you aware that the dealers are privately owned, and can pick and choose who they want to deal with. People seem to think that they can demand service, and that is not the case. Just as we can pick a dealer, or a campground, dealers are not obligated to give you service. this is especially true if you are a demanding type, or hae given the dealership hassle or grief prior. Warranty issues are a complete different matter, but once the warranty is over they have NO obligation to serve you. JMHO
Hi

They certainly are not obligated to ... but ... they loose a customer (and likely all his friends .... and everybody in any bar he stops at ...) when they do so. Dealing with demanding customers is part of being in business. That's true if you are a grocery store or an RV dealer.

As many of us have observed, there are a wide range of dealers out there. It's true for Airstreams, it's true for cars, it's true for trucks. There are a number of them that only care about booking sales and the rest of the business is (obviously) very much secondary. Regardless of what you are getting fixed, avoid those dealers. It's just common sense.

Should the dealer be closed down for this or that? Well, if they are the only one for XXX hundred miles able to sell the product .... you simply eliminate sales without doing anything to improve service. There's no benefit in that case. All dealer networks are getting smaller these days. The AS network is mighty small already. Closing a third of them down makes it even harder for people to shop.

What I still don't get here is - why would you want to force somebody to do a bad job on your property? You take something in and the guy is hones enough to tell you he does not have the skills / tools / experience to do the job. Why go further down that road? Only bad (likely very bad) things can result. Waiting 6 months while the gizmo is half torn apart would be a "small" issue in this context.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #29
Fleets

1993 34' Excella
Vintage Kin Owner
Hudsonville , Michigan
Woodland Travel in Grand Rapids Michigan works on Airstreams of all ages, including repair and renovation. They have worked on our 77 and 93 over the past 25+ years with no complaint. It’s too far for you, but just want to recognize them.
cflietstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:55 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflietstra View Post
Woodland Travel in Grand Rapids Michigan works on Airstreams of all ages, including repair and renovation. They have worked on our 77 and 93 over the past 25+ years with no complaint. It’s too far for you, but just want to recognize them.
The are the best that I have found... so far... indeed they have been their through the years.. and have provided a great service...

I bought my first one through them... and all I could say is that they took care of the problem without reservation.

I understand from others that the old'ies are gone and the kids took it over providing the same great service no matter what age the Airstream or others...

I would rather take mine to them than to the factory even though its a little more expensive after the great service and all... as they took the time to make sure the hitch was right... and the trailer ready to go... they even let us stay in the lot... because we were from out of town...

If a award was to be given to a airstream dealer... I would vote them No. 1.

When we left michigan... and went to the military base... with the trailer... we again had a problem... really it was because of the freezing weather that caused the water inlet and a line to to crack...

We went to jackson.. to get it fixed... they did work on it.. but, they were swamp'ed and even though we made reservations and work ... it still took them 2 days to play with the trailer..

It didn't seem like they were in a hurry to do anything... and the assembly line took the workers away... frustrating us wondering when we were going to be taken care of...

So I don't think much of the factory... and its good to see others also are finding that woodland in mich is a great place... (after airstream fixed ... or spliced our water line... we went back up to MI, woodland.. and they took us in and replaced the whole line... in less than half a day... great service.. above the factory work...)

Since then we have had several of our other trailers back to them (not being new year wise) for normal maintenance... when we go back to visit the old folks in Grand Rapids... just a hop skip and jump to their place... and like the others.. no hassles... just frendly smile... and ' get ya right in..' priority bumping... to work on ours from others that are not in demand etc...

if you get that way.. look them up if you need service on any year trailer... etc..
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:13 AM   #31
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Second comment to this post.
I'm saying bunk to this...
These trailers represent zero rocket science!
Most all system parts are available and interchangable! This is so across the RV industry!
If a part is obsolete, there is a very good chance something new or improved is out there.
Airstream makes only a few proprietary parts. I'm willing to bet if you come up with a part description, a place like out of doors Mart in North Carolina can have the part overnighted to anyplace in the world.

This refusal is a demonstration of lazyness, or general could care less about making the customer happy. Anything can be fixed, or retrofitted, after all, it was manufactured once, it can be fixed again!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:03 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
I don't understand? This dealer is telling you they won't work on your classic trailer. What's the problem? They are telling you they "Can't work on it". "Aren't comfortable working on it", "Not competent to work on it".
Would you prefer they worked on it and did a poor job of it, or hacked it together. I can only imagine the rants from people if that happened and your post was more of a "LOOK WHAT THIS HACK DEALER DID TO MY CLASSIC AIRSTREAM". The dealer was honest with you and now you feel obligated to give them a black eye on this forum for it????

Count your blessing and bring it to a dealer/company that specializes in classic trailers.

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:01 AM   #33
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
This is to the people who are constantly comparing Airstream to their favorite luxury truck brand.

Take your 30 year old F150 or C10 or D100 to your friendly Ford, Chevy, or Dodge dealer, and ask them to fix it for you, and report back here about what they tell you.

You want Big Three service, until you get it.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:10 AM   #34
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Second comment to this post.
I'm saying bunk to this...
These trailers represent zero rocket science!
Most all system parts are available and interchangable! This is so across the RV industry!
If a part is obsolete, there is a very good chance something new or improved is out there.
Airstream makes only a few proprietary parts. I'm willing to bet if you come up with a part description, a place like out of doors Mart in North Carolina can have the part overnighted to anyplace in the world.

This refusal is a demonstration of lazyness, or general could care less about making the customer happy. Anything can be fixed, or retrofitted, after all, it was manufactured once, it can be fixed again!
Hi

What happens when they need a part for that 30+ year old trailer? If they aren't set up with inventory, you may sit there for a few months while they figure out how (for the first time) to get this or that.

Bob
Old 08-27-2018, 06:53 AM   #35
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
If we, the consumer/ end user can have parts overnighted from JC or a myriad of other parts sources, why can't a dealer do the same? Everything is just a call or click away these days!
On the other hand, if the dealer is really bad, why would a fellow want service there anyway?

An 85 Sovereign is not so obsolete that parts are unavailable, infact what would be unavailable? No dealer has every single part in stock... Including for the very latest models. I hear stories of people waiting 6 months for parts on a current model year example!

The poster has a leak needing to be fixed, like the new ones don't come with leaks out if the box? A leak is a leak... 1985 or 2019, same procedure to fix... Goop...
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:05 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Thank You Dexterpix and Overlander63. Well said.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:26 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
The bottom line is there is more money working on a newer trailer!
Old 08-27-2018, 07:28 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Airstream View Post
The are the best that I have found... so far... indeed they have been their through the years.. and have provided a great service...

I bought my first one through them... and all I could say is that they took care of the problem without reservation.

I understand from others that the old'ies are gone and the kids took it over providing the same great service no matter what age the Airstream or others...

I would rather take mine to them than to the factory even though its a little more expensive after the great service and all... as they took the time to make sure the hitch was right... and the trailer ready to go... they even let us stay in the lot... because we were from out of town...

If a award was to be given to a airstream dealer... I would vote them No. 1.

When we left michigan... and went to the military base... with the trailer... we again had a problem... really it was because of the freezing weather that caused the water inlet and a line to to crack...

We went to jackson.. to get it fixed... they did work on it.. but, they were swamp'ed and even though we made reservations and work ... it still took them 2 days to play with the trailer..

It didn't seem like they were in a hurry to do anything... and the assembly line took the workers away... frustrating us wondering when we were going to be taken care of...

So I don't think much of the factory... and its good to see others also are finding that woodland in mich is a great place... (after airstream fixed ... or spliced our water line... we went back up to MI, woodland.. and they took us in and replaced the whole line... in less than half a day... great service.. above the factory work...)

Since then we have had several of our other trailers back to them (not being new year wise) for normal maintenance... when we go back to visit the old folks in Grand Rapids... just a hop skip and jump to their place... and like the others.. no hassles... just frendly smile... and ' get ya right in..' priority bumping... to work on ours from others that are not in demand etc...

if you get that way.. look them up if you need service on any year trailer... etc..
I also second that they are great dealer. I pur new76 31ft AS from them in 1977 after pur from several other AS dealers that were defunct, after these years I call for parts they reacall my pur. & always friendly. How many dealers would remember you after 41 yrs.?
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:44 AM   #39
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

The profit was buying a machine that did not work, replace worn parts and then professionally restore it. This is where the profit was made. Not fixing someone else's problem.
Along these same lines there is this: "If you don't charge them enough they'll just keep calling back"
Old 08-28-2018, 07:06 AM   #40
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
If we, the consumer/ end user can have parts overnighted from JC or a myriad of other parts sources, why can't a dealer do the same? Everything is just a call or click away these days!
On the other hand, if the dealer is really bad, why would a fellow want service there anyway?

An 85 Sovereign is not so obsolete that parts are unavailable, infact what would be unavailable? No dealer has every single part in stock... Including for the very latest models. I hear stories of people waiting 6 months for parts on a current model year example!

The poster has a leak needing to be fixed, like the new ones don't come with leaks out if the box? A leak is a leak... 1985 or 2019, same procedure to fix... Goop...
Hi

..... errr .... you obviously have never stood at very many dealer parts counters ...

1) Phone up the dealer - do you have this part? ... sure we do, come on over and get it.

2) Drive two hours to the dealer.

3) Walk up to the counter ... Nope, we don't have that part. We don't stock very many parts for 2 year old trailers.

4) me: ...errr ... but .... errr ...phone call ...

5) Them: We can put in an order, there's a minimum quantity so you have to buy several. It'll take us at least a week to get the order in. We would expect it to take a month or two for the part to get here ...

I would *very* much like to say that's an exaggeration. Indeed, it's as close as I can get to a word for word on what went down.

On a different part, standing there at JC, the answer was - it'll take at least two weeks to get that in and maybe a month. Again a pretty simple part on a new trailer.

So no, not all parts are easy / quick to get.

Bob