Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Airstream dealer with Sealtech

I'm having on going leak issues with my '13 International. My selling dealer did use their Sealtech machine to chase down some leaks for me last year but since then we have moved from Michigan to Montana. I'm hoping to find a decent Airstream dealer in either the Northwest or else in Arizona or surrounding states that can help us out.

The only dealer I have found in these areas that has a Sealtech is the one in Missoula, MT. However, I have read so many bad reviews of this dealer I'm unwilling to go there.

By the way, I'm pretty surprised at the number of larger Airstream dealers that do not have a Sealtech machine. It just seems very difficult to track down leaks.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Next stop west is AS of Spokane, then AS Adventures NW Seattle ... Or, south and west to Boise ...

Hello from Missoula!
There don't seem to be a lot of AS sold right here n MT. We have voted with our checkbook once in Missoula and twice in Seattle. PM if you need more...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Next stop west is AS of Spokane, then AS Adventures NW Seattle ... Or, south and west to Boise ...

Hello from Missoula!
There don't seem to be a lot of AS sold right here n MT. We have voted with our checkbook once in Missoula and twice in Seattle. PM if you need more...
Unfortunately, neither AS of Spokane nor AS Adventures have a Sealtech Machine.. I wish one of them did since both are relatively close by.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Mulino , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Unfortunately, neither AS of Spokane nor AS Adventures have a Sealtech Machine.. I wish one of them did since both are relatively close by.
All,
You can go to this link at the Sealtech site and find out who has a machine via this link: SealTech Manufacturing USA | Industry Standard for RV Leak Detection
A quick look in the PNW did not seem to show any AS dealers listed???
wlj1943
wlj1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:10 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Just an FYI that although Jackson Center has a Sealtech they typically don't use it to find leaks, or at least they didn't want to on my 2010 International. Oh yea, it will reveal some potential problem areas which can be addressed but it's no guarantee it will identify the offending water entry point.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Air being forced out of the Airstream is not the same as water being pushed in, but they do have the important thing in common, an opening in the shell. Seal the openings and you have a great chance of stopping the leaks.

Airstream Service Center advertises the SealTech machine as a service they provide. We specifically requested it as part of our service appointment, they used it to identify five minor leaks (which I knew were there using my Sonin moisture detection meter to probe the plywood floor) and fixed them under our warranty. After completing our trip, I checked the floor again for moisture and the leaks were fixed, the plywood subfloor was dry and still is a year later.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I'm still pretty dumbfounded by the number of dealers that do not have the machine, especially the large ones. I just don't feel there is a comparable way to find some of the leaks other then the larger ones that are easily spotted. I really don't want to go to a non Airstream dealer to have them do a water test, especially with getting on the roof.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . when we were at the Mothership in '11, they were using a rolling 'Rube Goldberg' looking, hook a hose to it, thing that they rolled over the trailer, sprayed good pressure water over & sent someone inside to watch for leaks. Didn't see him carrying any device, just a big flashlight. Not too impressed by that.. . .Wonder why they don't use the device if they have one ! (I know, rhetorical question ). . . regards, Craig
Old 09-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
Hi from AZ. . . when we were at the Mothership in '11, they were using a rolling 'Rube Goldberg' looking, hook a hose to it, thing that they rolled over the trailer, sprayed good pressure water over & sent someone inside to watch for leaks. Didn't see him carrying any device, just a big flashlight. Not too impressed by that.. . .Wonder why they don't use the device if they have one ! (I know, rhetorical question ). . . regards, Craig
They were using that rain device on another trailer at the same time they were using a SealTech on our Airstream. I'm sure it has been used there since day 1, what better way to find a rain leak than make it rain.

They are probably looking for a specific leak with the rain maker while the SealTech checks to whole trailer, and that's what we asked for. I think both systems are absolutely valid for the task at hand.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
There is a 'rain room' in the factory itself, at the shell complete stage (just before the cabinetry line).
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
There are other ways to get a pressure test done. Creativity meets thrifty:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...est-57333.html

and more general information about Sealtech & cost & ebay!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...est-75773.html

And how "doing it right" works

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ler-50653.html

I also remember a thread where a man used a carpet drying fan, and cut a hole in his bed plywood - and opened his garage door as the air input point. I just can't find that thread.

Morale - you can always do it "cheap" and you may even get it right, but the TIME you spend saving MONEY is often a prohibitive expense itself.

Note: REPO'ed Sealtechs and e-bay Sealtechs are available. If you're active and go to a lot of rallies, you've got a money making hobby!

Paula
Old 09-27-2014, 10:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
This guy has one but its kinda far. http://www.vinniesairstream.com

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes View Post
This guy has one but its kinda far. Vinnie's Northbay Airstream Repair
I've had a Sealtech 430R for about 10 years. Its a great tool, but there are no guarantees. These trailers flex quite a bit going down the road, so new leaks can present themselves over time. You should really be doing it about once a year. The rain maker boom is a joke, as water tends to travel quite a distance inside the walls before presenting itself.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I have full plans to bring the trailer in for annual check using this device - not a cure all but may help - but am curious how much it would set me back

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Foley RV comes to Canopener every year as I understand...I may bug them to consider investing in one of these and doing the test for folks at canopener....that would be perfect...

Seems in reviewing these threads Paula posted that costs vary....somemay charge 200-300 dollars for only the test....others an hourly rate...so costs seem to vary from perhaps 80-300 dollars....

Cost of purchasing one seems variable...have not checked ebay yet...retail price is much costly to justify an individual owner to purchase and use annually.....I will be checking ebay for fun...

Only dealers nearby me are supposedly dandy RV in Birmingham here...but I think they either relocated or went out of business because the I459 location is now empty...not sure....otherwise lists dealer in Huntsville and one in dothan....huntsville is 2 hour drive....if they have dandy local at a reasonable price, ill have them do it...if you have to drive far, cost of fuel and cost of the job will be factored in...

I find the DIY stuff intriguing...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Check post 78 on this thread, it's a homemade leak tester that might just have been too much of a good thing.... See picture of end cap seam!!!!!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f205...m-54749-6.html

HI HO!