Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2019, 07:34 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Airstream Damaged During Inspection!

AAAHHHHH.....
So, had the A/S in for yearly state inspection. Things were going well with my instructions for jacking etc. He even did a great job diagnosing a problem with one brake locking up when hot. But, after he took my rig out for a test ride to check the brakes, it happened! He backed into the front end of a plow truck, minus the plow. The plow hitch hit the rear door & the bumper was hit from the plow bars.
I am 6 hrs from the Mothership & that is where it will end up eventually. Problem is I had a month long trip up the New England coast in about three weeks. As long as the rear door is not leaking, I should be alright. My main concern is the slight bend in the rear panel right below the license plate. To me it looks like replacement is due for the door, door frame, rear bumper, storage compartment/Lid (won’t close properly) and possibly rear panel. This could get expensive, (I’m thinking 3-6K) but the shop has accepted responsibility & turned over to insurance. They should be here tomorrow to assess damage. I won’t have anyone touch it but the Mothership. Any advice for me when speaking to the insurance adjuster (Erie Insurance)? (Steve!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB698AF2-2421-40B7-A4BF-8C50DDAA8FD8.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	342286   Click image for larger version

Name:	E0A0207E-7848-4B3F-94CE-99A168739542.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	342287  

Click image for larger version

Name:	9264CB2C-D75A-4F05-AB31-794971892003.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	342288   Click image for larger version

Name:	3ED3D6BA-A11D-4B1E-8B93-EAFFDE1C08F7.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	342289  

malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Phone JC talk to repair dept. explain damage they will want pics. of damage they will give written est. of cost to repair. Hold out to ins. co. for these costs in full no deductable, don't accept less. AS will live up to there estimate.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ouch, bad timing!

Do all correspondence via email, and make sure your computer backup system is working better than that driver . . .

Summarize all phone calls, and conferences, in emails, and CC your insurance agent etc. as applicable. Print hard copies of important emails and keep duplicate copies in a safe location.

If things don’t go well with negotiations get your attorney involved.

Being conservative as above will serve you well if you need it.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Sorry to hear about your damage, but I had no idea some states had a requirement to let someone else jack up and pull your trailer. I'm sure glad we don't.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:39 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Sorry to hear, both with your trailer being damaged and that this annual inspection is a requirement. Pretty hard to fathom with living in a western state that will allow you to license damn near anything for the road if you can find a way to zip tie a plate to it.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Wow! What a surprise to me, as well. I found a AAA website that gave requirements and I counted about 8 States that have a requirement for travel trailers, if the data is current. What a horrible thing to need to do every year!
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #7
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
WOW! I agree with "lsbrodsky" the damage is one thing - have to go through this every year is an other. There is no way I would let some one unknown to me drive my rig.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Nope and nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Wow! What a surprise to me, as well. I found a AAA website that gave requirements and I counted about 8 States that have a requirement for travel trailers, if the data is current. What a horrible thing to need to do every year!
Larry

Wow! If our state had that requirement, I wouldn't have a trailer.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I would take a lot of good pictures and send to Airstream customer service to get a good estimate. Make sure you have enough pictures and in good light and different angles so that Airstream can make a proper estimate. If Airstream says we have to see it, have his insurance company wait until your trailer gets to JC.

Use a wide "gaffers" tape across the top of the door to keep out the rain. Gaffer tape will not leave a residue. Get the 2" wide version.

Punch that guy in the face for me, OK?

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
. . .
Punch that guy in the face for me, OK?

Really?

Why spread the violence vibe around?

The driver was probably a decent sort, trying to make a living, who made a mistake which can be repaired IMO.

Peter
Old 06-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
Born and raised in PA and all of my family still lives there. PA used to require semi-annual inspections (talk about a pain). As many others have commented, I can't imagine having to take my AS in every year for an inspection.
I haven't lived in PA for ~ 50 years - is this (TT inspections) something relatively new? In the 7-8 years I lived in PA and was driving or went with my dad for the inspections before that, I never saw a TT in an inspection station.

Good luck with the repairs.
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
NY requires an annual trailer inspection FWIW. Garage is about a mile away. No big deal.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Peter,

What do they inspect besides working lights and such? When I was looking at the Va. requirements, it looked like they actually have to look at the brake shoes on two of the wheels, after removing the two wheels. I just cannot believe that is no big deal.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Peter,

What do they inspect besides working lights and such? When I was looking at the Va. requirements, it looked like they actually have to look at the brake shoes on two of the wheels, after removing the two wheels. I just cannot believe that is no big deal.

Larry
It is simple, once you find a shop that regularly does trailers and actually painless when they know Airstreams. West Service Center in Chesapeake is my "park there at 6:00 AM" spot. The guys run one axle up on s floor jack to lift the other off the geound. No Appointmemts, so you wait, but the coffee is good and free.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:32 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
WOW! I agree with "lsbrodsky" the damage is one thing - have to go through this every year is an other. There is no way I would let some one unknown to me drive my rig.
The annual inspection can be a pain, but I look it as an annual physical. They do not drive as a rule, he was just checking the brakes after replacing one. They only check safety items, ie. tires, brakes, lights etc. Think of it this way..Do you trust all your neighbors to be responsible enough to actually spend money to fix their brakes or buy new tires before they fail. Or should I say be competent enough to know when it is time to replace same. This endangers everyone on the road and is a safety concern. I would be more concerned if my state had no annual inspection. Ok....Off topic.

Thanks for the great advice so far. And it appears to be not leaking, as it rained already today. Like every other day this spring

My Tundra had the roof smashed in on the Toyota dealers lift last year, now the Airstream. Luck of the Irish, I guess. The guy at the garage was the owners son & was visibly distraught. Mistakes happen, this is why we have insurance. I just want things fixed correctly when done and compensated for my time etc.
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Airstream Damaged During Inspection!

Worst one I ever saw was a car that had toppled off a lift, and landed upside down. Part of the lift arms had failed while a mechanic was actually working under the car. Fortunately he went diving out the the proper side.

My dad and I were walking back to talk to a mechanic about some work to be done on our car. We saw the wreck, and dad decided to take his business elsewhere.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I can't believe they actually drive your rig as part of their inspection.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Peter,

Larry
Guess I am lucky. The local garage does inspections, and I make an appt.. Roll in with lights on, manually apply trailer brakes [gain @ 10] on his gravel -- he jacks up one side and removes one wheel [only 2 total on our FC20] -- and the brake inspection is done. Total time 15 minutes maybe . . . all while hitched up.

Peter
Old 06-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
1957 18' Wanderer
Marfa , Everywhere
Compensation for your time? I'm not sure any insurance company will do that.

We were sideswiped by an impaired driver last October. We were legally and safely parked on the shoulder when he hit us along the driver's side of the trailer and the truck. He was insured. I sent photos to my insurance company and they estimated the cost of repairs to be about 30% of the eventual repairs which Airstream is executing as I write. At Jackson Center. It has taken twice the time of the original estimate, and as I said, three times the cost. Airstream will be pursuing the discrepancy in the monies through subrogation with the insurance companies......which I understand is how these things get resolved. Your insurance guy or gal will have no idea how much this will eventually cost to repair. Only the folks at Jackson Center will know. If you have the trailer repaired at your dealership, they will have to wait for parts to come from Jackson Center. Be prepared for the estimates to conflict and change.

Wishing you a quick resolution to your accident, and safe travels.
57Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Well said!

Peter

PS -- If you want to be fully compensated for all of your expenses, labor, travel time, etc. etc., in theory you can file a civil action lawsuit against the at-fault driver/company. The associated costs and risks of doing so are probably not worth it in this case. When there is loss of life, serious injury and really bad property damage, however, this route may be worth taking, but reaching the final destination could take many years IMO.