Old 07-18-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Airstream and Tow Vehicle Comparisons

- Tow Vehicles- My Toyotas and current Ford F350 come with a jack and lug nut wrench to change a flat tire. It comes with a rod to retrieve the spare tire. A service manual explains how everything operates and fits into the glove box. I can receive air pressure reports within my tires with the press of a button.

The warranty is extensive and leaves little to debate what is and what is not covered. Years or Mileage limits the warranty.

My responsibility is to have the engine oil and filter replaced at regular maintenance schedules.

The quality of my Toyotas and F350 have been 100% reliable during the warranty period.

- Airstreams, my 2006 & 2014- My Airstreams come with a ten pound satchel of service manuals and guidebooks. Ownership Safety towing CD’s and brochures AFTER the purchase. Your current vehicle may or may not be compatible to tow anything larger than the smallest trailer… not found on the dealer’s lot.

The warranty during ownership is limited by years of ownership, not use. The trailer can sit for three years, lived within or traveling for three years with the warranty expiring, either way. Unless you track towing mileage, no one knows how much one trailer for sale can be compared to another that appear well maintained.

No service bearings or self adjusting brakes, require service and adjustments by the owner. Hardware assembled cabinets, provided, are designed for homes that are stationary.

- I may have 30 pounds of tools and hardware to maintain our trailer in the event of a failure while traveling.

- My Equalizer hitch requires a thinner, special order, socket and a breaker bar specific to keep the ball tight, when necessary. Other large bolts are metric, requiring metric and US dimensions for maintenance. Many interior components are installed before cabinets and difficult to access. Lug nuts are advised to be checked as often as possible.

Battery powered hand drill screwdriver with attachments is a necessity during trips. Grease for the tow ball, for some of us. Protection of plastic and metal water system valves, copper propane lines are in difficult access, or behind tires, exposed to gravel while traveling are left to each owners discretion.

This is the compromise we all must make with trailer ownership. Airstream is better than the average mass produced projects on wheels. There are smaller specialty trailers that are now squeezing into the competitive market. Not enough to make the large manufacturers take notice, yet. Much like the USA 1960’s and 1970’s automobile manufacturers, being forced to improve quality due to imported automobiles, change will force quality improvements. We all recognize that change.

Of course. This is a casual comparison that may be considered mostly my opinion, without one morsel of merit. Although… I discovered that when you need a very specific tool that is not ‘on board’, you are literally… stranded without a screwdriver.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Jeeze Ray, you probably even get annoyed when your door handle falls off and you are locked inside the trailer. You just need to manage your expectations.

Mike

WBCCI #3960
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
After reading the Thread about having a screw loose, I had to look in the mirror.

First thing I did was to snug up those three black screws on the interior door handle. The two larger ones on the left side were tight.

Today, if I need a tool. I go to the Airstream, for anything.

I needed a wide tipped plier to remove porcupine quills. Had the tool. The entire camp in Colorado had to watch the blood and saliva running. I advise you not wear a light colored shirt... A dog quits howling after the first three or four.

Porcupine Quill Removal: Pliers, wide nosed. Bowl of water to wash quills off the end of the pliers. One or two people to hold the dog steady. Repeat, as necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1068.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	317385  
Old 07-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
That looks painful.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
Old 07-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
After I had a beer... it did not hurt one bit.

Your photo looked like a Porcupine Quill situation...
Old 07-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I had a dog that sniffed a Cholla in AZ. Now tweezers are part of my kit. Also was at the start of a hike in AZ and one of the ladies wearing thin runners stepped on a Cholla - my Leatherman Squirt yanked the needles out of her shoes, socks and feet. The dog only sniffed that one time and never again . . . the lady I'm not so sure about.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The dog will remember the scent and avoid cactus in the future. The lady will no doubt make the same mistake again. Sturdy boots are the only thing to wear in cholla cactus country.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
2018 16' Sport
Long beach , Mississippi
Heelers.. I knew they would be ACD's. I have 2
Jazgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tulare , California
After owning our first AS globetrotter, my wife and I are feeling the "bloom coming off the rose". Especially after the galley locker fell off and destroyed the kitchen. We now are looking at one of those new companies with a quality unit. I will sell the trotter to someone who will apreciate it. After you own a Porsche and marvel at the quality and engineering it is hard to accept mediocrity. This my cross to bear but I always expect the best out of people period.
HDsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Eagle Point , Oregon
If you look at an older Airstream you may find the same quality and engineering as the Porsche. IMHO
1976 Sovereign 31' CB Rear Twin towed 'on the ball'.
Olscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:14 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Qa/qc

Both auto and RV manufacturers are run by MBA's who get paid more when they extract every penny out of a sale. Do not be surprised when you buy a new car that comes WITHOUT a spare tyre, or an RV that has been poorly assembled, or wheel bearings with no grease.
Buyer Beware must be your motto.

My neighbor just bought a brand new F150 and paid extra for the trailer package. He found the trailer package did not include electric brake controller, so he took it to local trailer repair shop where they told him the F150 did not come equipped with a spare fuse space in the block for the controller, so they had to wire one with it's own in-line fuse direct to the battery!!
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
After I had a beer... it did not hurt one bit.

Your photo looked like a Porcupine Quill situation...
Sprinkles from a a donut that the Doxie is insisting he never touched.
WBCCI #3960
Old 07-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I think the perfect tow vehicle would be a one ton service truck with a small machine shop in the back in an enclosed space. There would be adequate space for the comprehensive selection of tools and the welder could also function as a generator.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
We are on our 3rd Airstream. All purchased new.Each had some issues mostly minor stuff. Our current 2017 30' Classic had the least problems and very minor at that. We have never experienced cabinets falling of drawers flying open, microwaves crashing etc.etc.etc. I would think reading all these complaints we should have had more problems with 3 different units. I don't seem to be that lucky buying lotto tickets.
My only beef is that AS dealer network sucks. Most are incompetent even to fix the most minor issues so if you need anything done right big or small do it yourself or of to Jackson Center.

franklyfrank is online now   Reply With Quote