Old 07-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Watson , Louisiana
Air Conditioner Option?

What would be wrong with using a portable air conditioner unit for extra cooling? It could be an inexpensive option over a second a/c an could be used only when needed. The kind I am talking about is the roll around units with an exhaust hose. I think the hose could be vented through the floor since there is not a window type that uses the adapter. There is an excellent deal today on woot.com for a 10,500 btu unit for $210. I bought one for use during hurricanes when I am on generator power to cool only one room. I may bring it when camping for the added capacity especially in the heat of the day.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I have one in my shop at home which is semi permanently installed. It works great and is pretty quiet. Going through the floor sounds feasible and might be an easy way to get rid of the water as well. The only negative I can see is the amount of floor space they use. They are pretty big for the amount of extra cooling you get.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Keep this in mind...

One problem is that you need to have an intake and an exhaust. If you don't have an intake (single hose systems) then the warm air comes in through any gaps due to the negative pressure..

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
I used one of them in my Argosy last year. I made a piece of plexiglass that fit the screen frame cut an opening for the hose and used small screws to attach to the screen frame. When I was done with the ac just unscrewed the plexiglass.I was also using the roof air which would not keep up with our 100 degree plus weather.
Portable ac works on a 30 amp breaker and plugs right into a wall outlet . Would not have been able to survive summer without one.
The exhaust hose does put out heat I had thought about wrapping mine in reflectex but haven't tried it yet.
Jo
Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Watson , Louisiana
So it seems most are in agreement that this would be a viable option. I do agree that it will exhaust air that must be replaced with air from outside but a lot of the heat is expelled through evaporation. The condenser line is looped through the condensate pan where it is initially cooled by the cold liquid condensate and evaporates some of the water into the exhaust air to be expelled to the outside. Condensate in the form of humidity inside is what makes us feel uncomfortable and sticky. Removing this humidity helps with feeling comfortable at a higher temperature level. Condensate is beneficial by cooling the refrigerant and is turned back into humidity that is exhausted. So not only is this type of unit a cooling unit it is also a humidity transfer unit as well (dehumidifier). The exhausted air is much hotter than outside air and the point of using this unit is heat transfer so as long as it is removing much more heat from the room than what is entering the room through cracks to replace the exhausted air the goal of cooling is achieved. That is why these do work. If they did not work and just recirculated hot air they would not sell very well.

Other research suggests that most single duct systems can be converted to double duct systems where outside air is brought in through 1 hose and exhausted through another hose. This eliminates the problem of bringing in outside heat into a cooled room. I will look into this when my units arrive.

As for use in an Airstream, there seems to be a lot of storage in Airstream campers so I don't think storage will be a problem. I think floor exhaust and condensate drainage makes these units ideal for this purpose when extra cooling is needed. The floor ports could be under a bed or bench seat. The auxiliary cooling may only be needed in the heat of the summer. I also plan to use mine to provide extra cooling while restoring my Airstream.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
As has already been said, the single hose units must pull the same amount of air that is exhausted from the hose from somewhere, through the cracks and openings in the room or trailer. That air will be warm and have moisture in it. There is some cooling for sure, but no where near as much as the rated numbers would have you believe. The two hose units do not have this problem, but then you need twice the area, intake and exhaust. I have used both, the dual tube units are far superior in real cooling capacity.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Another option is to install a window unit in one of the Airstream windows. This has the following advantages over the temporary AC.

1. Lots of choices for AC units

2. No ducting problems- cold air stays on the inside, hot air on the outside.

3. No floor space taken up.

4. Probably more efficient than the temporary units.

This is how I am cooling my 66 Tradewind now.

Here is the link:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...nny-91215.html
Old 07-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Here is a photo of the installation of a 5k unit in my 66 Tradewind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3243.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	163161