Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Bee Cave , Texas
Air Conditioner Leak

I've noticed when we run the AC for a while, I start to see water leaking out of the bottom of my AS fairly close to under the kitchen area. I assume this is condensation, but I would hope there was a drain on the AC that keep the water from running down inside the walls.

Where would folks start looking? Ideas?

Thanks
BluesClues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi and welcome to Air Forums. Boy, you folks in Texas sure have had some rough weather lately. I like rain, but enough already.

It is normal for the AC to drain condensate to the ground. Airstream puts a tube in the walls to direct the water to the ground. You might notice a tube under the trailer where the condensate flows. It is ahead of the wheel well, and on the street side on my trailer. Yours could be in a different location.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
It's hard to give you a specific location of the AC drain exit since we don't know the year and model of your trailer, but almost all Airstreams with factory air will have a AC drain that exits the trailer in one of the wheel wells. This drain can get plugged with debris and/or mold over time. Locate the drain exit in the wheel well and use an air compressor t blow it clear. If that fails, try snaking a small wire up the tube. It's possible that the blockage is at the entrance to the drain tube which would require that you go up on the roof of your trailer and try to unblock it from there. That may require removing the AC shroud to gain access to the drain.

You mentioned that you get water on the floor near the kitchen, if the above action does not solve your problem, that could also mean that the drain line down to the wheel well has broken or become detached from the connection in or near the wheel well. If you can get access to the area on top of the wheel well by removing some of the drawers do that and see if you can find the drain line to repair.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Water coming out there is normal. The ac has a drain line from the ac unit down through the walls and out the bottom. If it's draining it's a good thing.
Don't use compressed air to blow it clear from the outside. You can, but you'll blow all the water and dirt back up the drain line and into the trailer overhead air distribution box and create a huge mess. It's simple to pull down the air distribution box to get access to the drain line and blow it out from there. Recommend once a year at least to prevent clogs causing condensate to drip inside your trailer.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote