Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Texas
Air Conditioner: first one for my '75 Airstream Sovereign

Believe it or not..My 75 Airstream Sovereign has never had an air conditioner. It will be a must to add one. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good reliable air conditioner to install that I can buy new?

Thanks in advance!!!
dennis82468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Hi! First of all....get a 15,000 BTU. You won't regret that. If your not obsessive about the height of the top unit a Carrier or Coleman or Dometic are all OK. Individuals have preferences. Also, some Folks like the heat strip option on the AC. Your trailer should be prewired...search forums for that location. Also the drain line. Don't install an ac on an Airstream without a drainline to the street side of the body.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Hi! First of all....get a 15,000 BTU. You won't regret that. If your not obsessive about the height of the top unit a Carrier or Coleman or Dometic are all OK. Individuals have preferences. Also, some Folks like the heat strip option on the AC. Your trailer should be prewired...search forums for that location. Also the drain line. Don't install an ac on an Airstream without a drainline to the street side of the body.
Carrier has been out of the RV business for several years, and no low profile units are currently available.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
68RV15103A 99 00469 00 76 50096 00 Carrier RV Air Conditioner Kit | eBay
Old 07-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
“New in box. Sold as it with no warranty.”
This is being sold as is, new in box. These were purchased in March 2009. Operating condition is unknown. Purchased
for project that never materialized.

Also seller has 0 rating.

Beware!!

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Carrier has been out of the RV business for several years, and no low profile units are currently available.
.............FROM RELIABLE SOURCES
Old 07-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post

.............FROM RELIABLE SOURCES
Yup..
I saw one on fleebay ... The picture was cropped to remove the former roof it was still attached to. Come to find out, it was from SOB which was caught in a tornado then was ripped from the trailer.

Of course they would take my money.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
HVAC Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis82468 View Post
Believe it or not..My 75 Airstream Sovereign has never had an air conditioner. It will be a must to add one. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good reliable air conditioner to install that I can buy new?

Thanks in advance!!!
Do consider getting a heat pump model, rather than using heat strips for heating.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Silver Spud

1975 31' Sovereign
Twin Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmeloy View Post
Do consider getting a heat pump model, rather than using heat strips for heating.
What is the difference between a heat pump model and a regular RV A/C?? Is one more efficient or cools better than the other on the cold side or on the heat side does one produce more heat than the heat strip model?? Thanks.
shadrick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
I have read in other threads that heat pumps are not very effective if you camp in weather with temps dipping below 40 degrees. They don't work very well in cooler climates. In a 31', it is likely that you would want a 15k a/c unit if you camp in warm climates. An added heat strip will probably take the chill off in the morning, but also probably would not be a good substitute for an actual furnace.

I have a '72 25' Trade Wind. I'm putting on a 13.5k lo-pro Penguine with a heat strip. If I decide I like camping in the winter, I will ad a furnace, a catalytic heater and/or supliment with some ceramic heaters. I don't like it too hot anyway.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
Silver Spud

1975 31' Sovereign
Twin Falls , Idaho
We use the furnance almost every camp trip and are completely satisfied with that. I am looking to replace the A/C as it is shot in several ways and is original but am, frankly, confused with all the options available. I have settled on 15k and the Mach 8 but not certain whether the heat pump or the regular unit is what I need. Heat as an option when plugged in would be nice but not really a need
shadrick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrick5 View Post
What is the difference between a heat pump model and a regular RV A/C?? Is one more efficient or cools better than the other on the cold side or on the heat side does one produce more heat than the heat strip model?? Thanks.
A heat pump is actually an air conditioner running backwards. The efficiency and cooling capacity should be identical in a 15K heat pump and a 15K A/C only unit. The flow of the refrigerant is reversed with a 'reversing valve' at the compressor. When this happens, the normally cold evaporator (inside coil) that removes the heat from the inside air as it flows across it becomes the condenser.

The condenser (outside coil), which is hot when on A/C mode (ever stand next to a window A/C unit and feel the hot air coming out of it?) usually exhausts into the outside air. When on heat pump mode with the flow reversed, the inside coil becomes the condenser and the air coming across it from inside the trailer picks up heat and warms the trailer instead of cooling it. The outside coil (now the evaporator) is actually blowing cold air into the atmosphere.

Once you get below 40ºF outside ambient temperature, the outside coil that is now the evaporator can not operate to spec. and the unit will not produce any more heat inside the trailer.

If you are planning on using your trailer below 40ºF on a regular basis, be sure to have an auxiliary heating system like an LP furnace, catalytic heater or heat cube. I personally have found that heat strips are not worth their cost in that they only have the capacity to remove a bit of chill from the air and do not function well as a heat source. Better to get an A/C only unit and use the furnace. (just MY opinion on that)
Old 07-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I saw above the note that "no low profiles are currently available." Dometic still makes the Penguin low profile ACs, and they are available from PPL.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I saw above the note that "no low profiles are currently available." Dometic still makes the Penguin low profile ACs, and they are available from PPL.
That post referred to CARRIER low profile units ONLY.

Tags
sovereign