Old 09-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Bend , Oregon
Air Conditioner drain tube - '64 Overlander

Can't seem to find a drain tube to the old AC unit i just removed. Anyone know if they're always supposed to be there on a 64 Overlander? I assume so, this AC apparently wasn't using it...she's an old one...no gone. Just gotta figure this out before the new Penguin goes on.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Sorry, the 64s did not have a drain tube. Most of the time, the condensation just ran down the outside of the trailer.

I recently put one in mine. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ks-108118.html

I have same year and model as you, though not all were rear twins.

The solution I came up with is working just great. The part that was almost unbearable was drilling through the side channels to get the drain tube through the roof and down into the overhead storage area. You really want to think it all through and make sure you don't dent, or especially puncture the skin with the drill bit if you go this way. I saw one guy just drop it into the coach area so you could see the drain tube, but I couldn't bear that option. The only way to truly do it right is to remove the interior rivets and skin and snake it down, but I didn't want to do that either.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
In my '69, the drain tube comes off the bottom of the A/C in the trailer (front street side corner) and goes down the wall separating the bedroom from the kitchen. It is hidden inside a piece of c-channel wood trim. It goes straight down through the floor and pokes out just forward of the axles. If you crawl under your trailer you might see the hole.

The original A/C unit had the evaporator in the cabin vice on top of the trailer like today's units. If you just removed the original A/C unit, you'll have to cut a larger hole in the roof for the new unit. If the unit you removed is a "newer" unit, then the hole may have already been enlarged. Either way, there is no internal drain tube.

-Jason
Old 09-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
I saw one guy just drop it into the coach area so you could see the drain tube, but I couldn't bear that option.
If you can find the piece of trim with the hidden c-channel, this might work for you. My drain tube is not visible inside the cabin.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Bend , Oregon
Thanks folks. So do I understand this correctly - the drain tube in the C channel is in the interior along the interior wall?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
The c channel goes down the wooden wall divider, not the interior aluminum wall. In the first pic, you can see the copper drain tube sticking up out of the floor. The second pic show the trim piece the tube is hidden inside (circled in orange).

Hope this helps.

-Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0129.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	196156   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0153a.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	196157  

Old 09-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert64 View Post
Thanks folks. So do I understand this correctly - the drain tube in the C channel is in the interior along the interior wall?
Not in your model. Jason has a 69. It was 67 or 69 when they put tubes in at the factory. 63 they ran the wiring and laid it in the ceiling if you didn't get a factory AC. Yours didn't have a drain tube unless one was installed with the AC you have now.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Bend , Oregon
Thanks for the pics Jason. That helps. So the question becomes - how necessary is the drain tube? I have a Penguin II with the drain cups kit that is supposed to drain into the drain tube, but now I'm beginning to think I should just learn to live with condensation running down the outside of the trailer. Anything else to consider?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post

Not in your model. Jason has a 69. It was 67 or 69 when they put tubes in at the factory. 63 they ran the wiring and laid it in the ceiling if you didn't get a factory AC. Yours didn't have a drain tube unless one was installed with the AC you have now.
Even in my 69 the condensate drain tube isn't factory installed inside the aluminum walls. It just runs straight down from the a/c because the drain port on the a/c is inside the cabin. I think it was another year or two before they started using the current style a/c with drain port on top of the trailer and preinstalling the condensate tube in the exterior wall.