Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
air conditioner cover

Hi folks
I just started the process of resealing my roof and during my first, tentative steps onto the roof noticed that I have a hole about the size of a quarter in my air conditioner cover. My question would be, can I patch this with a fiberglass (or other ) patch? Or do I need to man up, and buy a whole new cover? I think this might have happened when we stayed at a campground in the fall with some industrial sized acorns.
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
You can repair it, but if it is already brittle enough to be damaged by an acorn, the rest of it will soon fail, and it will probably do it going down the road in a high wind.

The sun deteriorates the plastic till it gets very brittle and breaks easily. I would replace it.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
Hi folks
I just started the process of resealing my roof and during my first, tentative steps onto the roof noticed that I have a hole about the size of a quarter in my air conditioner cover. My question would be, can I patch this with a fiberglass (or other ) patch? Or do I need to man up, and buy a whole new cover? I think this might have happened when we stayed at a campground in the fall with some industrial sized acorns.
I'd be more inclined to believe you struck a low-hanging branch; acorns would have to fall like high-velocity hailstones to do that kind of damage.

Depending on the model, and where you shop, a replacement shroud will cost between $100 and $125.

Most are made of high-density polyethylene. You could go the el cheapo route and stick duct tape on the inside and outside, at least temporarily; air conditioning plenum work is what duct tape was invented for, after all.

By the way, call it a shroud, not a cover. To RV parts stores, a cover is a piece of fabric that goes over the air conditioner for storage; a shroud is the plastic housing for the air conditioner.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Thanks

Sounds like duct tape temporarily, then a new shroud. Got it. Thank you! While on the topic, would it be worth investing in a cover for the shroud to protect it when not in use?
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
Sounds like duct tape temporarily, then a new shroud. Got it. Thank you! While on the topic, would it be worth investing in a cover for the shroud to protect it when not in use?
Just personal opinion here, but I've always felt a cover would be more trouble than it's worth, especially since we use the A/C down here about eight months out of the year.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Instead of buying a cover for the shroud, paint the new shroud with "for plastic" paint. I'd give it at least 3 coats. This will reduce the UV absorbed by the plastic of the shroud, greatly extending it's livespan.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Mine broke apart like an eggshell. Per some prior threads, I ordered here. Happy with the quality...and lifetime warranty....should it be required.

Air Conditioner Shrouds | AC Shrouds | RV Air Conditioner Covers

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote