Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2004, 01:43 PM   #1
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Air compressor for AS...

Hello.

I am thinking about compressors for my AS. The only use I will get out of this thing would be to fill a low tire(s) at the staroage place, and blow out water lines for winterizing.

I am looking at Sears web site and there is a mind bogling aray of these guys.

Questions:

1) Do I need a 12 volt or 120v compressor. I probably won't have real good access to electricity at the storage facility.

2) If I go with a 12volt model, does the compressor plug into the round opening that looks like a cigarette lighter socket that is next to the bed in my bambi (also part of the coax stuff I think)

3) If yes to number 2, can you get a 12 volt extension cord, as I am sure the cord on any compressor won't be long enough to reach streetside water valve and tire.

Any recommendations you can give to this air head would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan
Old 05-11-2004, 01:50 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
120 volt sears

I am pleased with our choice of the 2hp 120v sears unit.
see this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=9333
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I bought a Delta oil-less 120 volt 2 gal. compressor that fits neatly under the floor of the wardrobe or in the exterior storage compartments of my '85. It was about $90. It will inflate my truck tires (slowly) to 80 psi. The trailer tires inflate to 60 psi and it does that reasonably quickly. It is considered by experts to be too small to blow out the water lines. I do it several times each fall (we camp until late Nov. or early Dec.) and so far so good.

A 12 v compressor has the significant advantage of being usable in an emergency on the road. They have the disadvantage of being notoriously slow and of very limited capacity.

You do use the "cigarette lighter" socket for 12 v accessories. The problem with an extension is the voltage drop. It will take a very heavy cord to keep the motor from overheating.

I don't like oil-type compressors for blowing water out of lines as they will blow minute drops of oil into the lines.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Compressors and blowing out lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
Hello.

I am thinking about compressors for my AS. The only use I will get out of this thing would be to fill a low tire(s) at the staroage place, and blow out water lines for winterizing. Jonathan
Jonathan:

My suggestion to you is to get a small battery operated compressor .... lots of possibilities here.....if you already have a cordless drill, many companies offer a compressor that uses the same battery as the drill (light, swazall, rotary saw, etc.). You could also go the 12 volt self contained route that recharges from your car or a 110 charger.

None of the small compressors will give you enough volume to blow out your lines. I would recommend you also purchase a "volume tank" portable air receptical. These look a bit like a large Freon tank, are usually 1' in diameter and 2' long. Most auto parts stores sell these. I think they are about 20 bucks. You might have to make two or three trips to an air refill station to blow out all of your lines, but I think the small (cheapie) 12 volt compressor and hand carried volume tank would be the cheapest and most versatile solution to your problem. -- You could use both of them (tank and compressor) for your home type pneumatic tires also (bike, lawnmower, car, truck, etc.).

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:41 PM   #5
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Aluminauts, Mark and Dennis.

Thanks for the input. It seems for about a hundred bucks or less I should be able to find what I am looking for. I think oiless might also be soomething to consider as well as the rechargeable route. I have an 18volt Dewalt cordless drill with two batteries. I'll look into that.

Jonathan