Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2015, 06:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
West Salem , Wisconsin
Talking Afraid to read forums

I thought I loved reading new threads from my e mail inbox, especially on these frigid January days in Wisconsin.I found them informative, and motivating, Now, I am having second thoughts! I bought an AS for several reasons, but a big one was rep. as being very dependable. As I've recently deduced from reading I "need" to do the following:
1. replace original unsafe tires
2, replace rims to fit new tires
3. replace converter so save batteries
4. replace batteries, cuz they are more than 2 years old
5. replace my single axle FC with a double since its safer
hmmm , what else?

I might be better off sticking my head in the sand, or in my current situation, snow!
Mr. O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
1) might be true of any trailer
2) ditto, depending on weight and need for an LT tire.
3) Ditto
4) Ditto
5) Ditto, but not true

Rest easy, my friend.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:00 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. O View Post
I thought I loved reading new threads from my e mail inbox, especially on these frigid January days in Wisconsin.I found them informative, and motivating, Now, I am having second thoughts! I bought an AS for several reasons, but a big one was rep. as being very dependable. As I've recently deduced from reading I "need" to do the following:
hmmm , what else?

I might be better off sticking my head in the sand, or in my current situation, snow!

Just me.....

I will endorse #3.

My OEM tires have never been a problem.

Still use 15" wheels

I replaced my converter to save the batt's, they are now 8 Seasons old.

Our 63 Safari single axle was used for 18 happy years.

In my case one out of five ain't bad.

Others will have antithetical observations.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
As I've recently deduced from reading I "need" to do the following:
The best thing about advice on the AirForums, like advice from any source* is that you don't NEED to follow it!

*Unless it's from your missus, in which case you'd darned well BETTER follow it!
Old 01-08-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
hmmm , what else?

#1...all tires eventually need to be replaced, so check yours and see what condition they are in, and how old they are. Generally speaking, a five year old trailer tire should be replaced especially on an Airstream where a failing tire can cause a lot of expensive to repair damage.

#2...only if the original size tire is incapable of handling the load of your trailer safely. You might be able to stay with the same size tire, or larger tire on the same rim, and increase the load range, i.e. from "c" to "d", etc.

#3...not mandatory, but yes it's a good idea, and if left plugged in for extended periods of time, the original converter will reduce the life span of your batteries.

#4...all batteries fail eventually, so you might want to have yours tested, but just because they are two years old, does not mean they are bad. How a battery is used, and abused, will have more impact on it's life span than it's age.

#5...a tandem axle trailer is not necessarily safer than a single axle, it just gives you more options in the event of a tire failure. Only you can make the decision of what size trailer you want and need.

Basically, I agree with everyone else above.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Realize that over 75% of Airstream owners have never heard or have never visited Airforums! These campers are happy, safe, and comfortable.

Airstreams are not cigarettes. They are not required to carry "hazardous to your health" labels.

Sleep easy and enjoy the ride.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
hmmm , what else?

I might be better off sticking my head in the sand, or in my current

situation, snow!
Three AS, no tire problems.....but, pressures must be checked and maintained as specified.......at the 65 lbs, each tire is rated for 2540 lbs, or 10,160 total trailer weight. Thus, #1, and 2, not necessary IMO.

The change out of the converter.charger for me is convenience as my AS sits in a heated garage plugged into a 50 Amp circuit at all times when home. The new converter/charger, four stage may prolong the battery life, but, I suspect if one simply used something like a Battery Tender and avoided the constant 14.8 volts to the batteries when at home, the same could be accomplished during storage. However, when on the road, at RV sites with power, the constant 14.8 v is potentially a problem and thus, the change out to a four stage converter/ charger may be desirable for extended battery life.

Replace batteries....for sure, when they fail or do not hold a charge adequately. Again, based upon the battery performance.

Single axle vs twin.... like moho vs tow behind vs fifth wheel...whatever you prefer. Once again, proper maintenance of tires and axles reduces the potential for problems.

What else.... i suspect a lot of us seem to like to "improve" things on no matter what we have. And, for sure I have done this. So, if you want to see what some have done, here is a start...

Look over this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f514...ns-128265.html

Good luck....
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
1. sage advice
2. see above
3. keeping up with Jones'
4. boy who cried wolf
5. chicken little

every now and again, you'll uncover a nugget of useful information...
the rest of the time there's way too much entertainment value for me to ever stop reading these forums
Old 01-08-2015, 07:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
And do not forget to get the most expensive WD system on the market to go with your new super heavy duty TV.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:09 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
hmmm , what else?

All of these issues are things that various members here on Airforums have had problems with. The information found here is basically the opinions and experience of the members, and probably should not be taken as hard and fast "must dos".

All of these situations depend on the the individual Airstreamer's experience. Many have no problem with the OEM ST tires on their Airstream. I use my Airstreams a lot. I have had a number of catastrophic ST tire failures, and generally poor performance with these tires. Accordingly, I have replaced my OEM ST tires with 16" wheels and Michelin LT tires on both of my 25FB's.

As far as the converters and batteries are concerned, my experience has not dictated replacement of my Airstreams' converters. On my 2005 Safari 25FB, the OEM batteries lasted for five years before they started getting weak. This was after spending about 900 nights camping in that Airstream. I simply replaced the batteries at a Wal-Mart on the road. I used that Airstream for another 400 nights without any battery issues.

As far as the single axle/tandem axle issue is concerned, I have always had tandem axle Airstreams. I have never selected an Airstream based upon its axle configuration. The Airstreams that I purchased were the ones that met my needs and desires.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
What Else?

I agree with Awchief

Add to your list,

6. Sell TV and get a 3/4 ton(or larger) diesel
7. Sell your WD hitch and get a HA or PP
8. Change out all of your lights for LEDs
9. Get rid of you hot water heater and install an "on demand" version

These are just the "must do" things, we can talk about the "I wanna" list later.

Another Mr. O
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
this is getting good

10. After getting your HA or PP, test the "stiffness" of the torsion bars by jumping up and down on your rear bumper. If it doesn't move, you need to either: immediately dispose of them for lighter ratings OR drop the tofu diet and start eating some real meals
Old 01-08-2015, 09:28 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
hmmm , what else?

I would just go travelling and repair what actually breaks. Forums are full of fearmongers.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
You know you've been on Airforums if:

I can't believe no one has told you to replace your torsion axle!

You know you've been on Airforums if:

You've lost sleep over Yamaha vs Hondas,

You've had a heated debate about LED light bulbs,

You spend more time reading about GYM vs LT tires than you do reading the daily news paper

You've ever considered towing a single axle AS with a 1 ton Diesel Dually

You've ever wished there was a CAT scale App.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
Forums are full of fearmongers.
Well, duh! If there was no controversy, Forums threads all would be awfully short, and not nearly so entertaining to read!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
afraid to read forums

The nature of Internet vehicle forums is to highlight problems and fixes.

Specific information can otherwise be hard to acquire. Be glad it is so easy to range over the systems individually as well as overall performance.

It was a great deal harder twenty or more years ago. One either had to rely on the component manufacturer or upon magazine or book publishers dependent on advertising revenue.

It is still good advice to have a short shelf of RV specific books on care and maintenance. Dealing with service issues by having first read up on a subject and then posed questions online may mean one can effect a fix on one own, or has insight to offer servicing personnel.

Try not to take for granted how easy it is today to upgrade, self service or repair in comparison to old norms.

Reliability is as much longevity, FWIW.

That said, I wouldn't bother with the feed of all new posts to my mobile.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Folks sharing their experiences has been very beneficial to my Airstream experience. No one has held me hostage to do or install any given item. But many great suggestions have been implemented in out trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Mr. O:

You're not the first who's found reading these forums a little expensive!!! No better source of AS info, though!!

Bob
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Mr. O
Wouldn't it be boring to not be able to tinker and customize your fine purchase. Hand-picking suggestions that fit your situation adds to the fun of AS ownership, and help to make it truly your ship...but in order to add something at least a little constructive, your single axle will be serve you fine...I've had no trouble with my 2010 20ftFC after 4 years of pretty stout use and interstate travel...on the original Marathons. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Everyone uses their Airstream in different ways.

We travel extensively each fall and spring to a escape winter and see as much of the country as we can. Others use their Airstream as a seasonal cabin, tow it to a favorite spot and enjoy life there. Some live in it full time, in a rv resort or traveling the country.

We changed to more reliable tires and the expensive hitch for more pleasant and safer travel. We have solar to provide electrical power in a variety of camping venues, which also allows us to bypass our still-original converter/charger for charging (and prevent damaging) batteries. We don't travel with a generator and it's gas supplies because it's a nuisance. We look for reliability, safety and economy out on the roadways, and simplicity and convenience when camping.

Yes there are fear-mongers on board this forum, and lots of well-meaning opinions. Try to sort the good tips from the bad, and which ones fit your own Airstream travel and camping needs.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote