Old 01-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
Forums are full of fearmongers.
Well, duh! If there was no controversy, Forums threads all would be awfully short, and not nearly so entertaining to read!

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #16
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
afraid to read forums

The nature of Internet vehicle forums is to highlight problems and fixes.

Specific information can otherwise be hard to acquire. Be glad it is so easy to range over the systems individually as well as overall performance.

It was a great deal harder twenty or more years ago. One either had to rely on the component manufacturer or upon magazine or book publishers dependent on advertising revenue.

It is still good advice to have a short shelf of RV specific books on care and maintenance. Dealing with service issues by having first read up on a subject and then posed questions online may mean one can effect a fix on one own, or has insight to offer servicing personnel.

Try not to take for granted how easy it is today to upgrade, self service or repair in comparison to old norms.

Reliability is as much longevity, FWIW.

That said, I wouldn't bother with the feed of all new posts to my mobile.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Folks sharing their experiences has been very beneficial to my Airstream experience. No one has held me hostage to do or install any given item. But many great suggestions have been implemented in out trailer.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Mr. O:

You're not the first who's found reading these forums a little expensive!!! No better source of AS info, though!!

Bob and Nancy
Cheer Up, Slow Down, Chill Out!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Mr. O
Wouldn't it be boring to not be able to tinker and customize your fine purchase. Hand-picking suggestions that fit your situation adds to the fun of AS ownership, and help to make it truly your ship...but in order to add something at least a little constructive, your single axle will be serve you fine...I've had no trouble with my 2010 20ftFC after 4 years of pretty stout use and interstate travel...on the original Marathons. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Everyone uses their Airstream in different ways.

We travel extensively each fall and spring to a escape winter and see as much of the country as we can. Others use their Airstream as a seasonal cabin, tow it to a favorite spot and enjoy life there. Some live in it full time, in a rv resort or traveling the country.

We changed to more reliable tires and the expensive hitch for more pleasant and safer travel. We have solar to provide electrical power in a variety of camping venues, which also allows us to bypass our still-original converter/charger for charging (and prevent damaging) batteries. We don't travel with a generator and it's gas supplies because it's a nuisance. We look for reliability, safety and economy out on the roadways, and simplicity and convenience when camping.

Yes there are fear-mongers on board this forum, and lots of well-meaning opinions. Try to sort the good tips from the bad, and which ones fit your own Airstream travel and camping needs.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I agree with Awchief

Add to your list,

6. Sell TV and get a 3/4 ton(or larger) diesel
7. Sell your WD hitch and get a HA or PP
8. Change out all of your lights for LEDs
9. Get rid of you hot water heater and install an "on demand" version

These are just the "must do" things, we can talk about the "I wanna" list later.

Another Mr. O
...and, don't forget to add overload or air shocks ... reinforce the hitch mounting points ... then take a video to post vs the Porsche Cayenne ... this is a fun forum... ...contradictory at times, but nonetheless fun.
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:46 AM   #22
2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
I think I get Mr. O's points. I just got my Airstream in Nov (first camper ever) and joined the forums shortly after. I've learned a lot here but I've also become overwhelmed and frustrated wondering whether I bought a reliable unit or one that's gonna be a constant money drain -- sorta like when I owned a boat and was so happy the day I bought it, and even happier the day I sold it. I'm almost afraid to take Yertle out on her maiden voyage this spring. Will there be a broken water pipe before I can even leave town? Am I gonna be able to back it up? Is the electrical source at my first few stops gonna be reliable? It's like owning a home but more complicated because you can't just call any plumber or electrician, and you can't just hop, step and jump to the dealership because in my case it's 90 miles away, or even wait there on it like you do for an oil change. I guess what I'm saying is that part of me would like to see more emphasis on the positive while the other part wants to know what the heck I've jumped into. So it's frustrating, but not enough to leave the forum.
Terry P. Rizzuti, "Yertle"

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Thanks for the chuckle!!
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member
1972 31' Sovereign
Hauula , Hawaii
I'm already losing sleep from reading these forums. I just acquired my Airstream a couple of months ago (inherited) and it's on the other side of the country.
I can't even look at it! But that doesn't prevent me from developing major stress and paranoia about every potential problem. Sagging rear? Brakes? Electrical? Tires/wheels/axles? Black/Grey/Brown/purple water tanks? No matter my tow vehicle, I know it won't be exactly right. And the hitch issues!

Ah, forums. Gotta love 'em.
Sharkboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #25

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Remember....there is no such thing as a bad dog, just an inattentive owner.

Same goes for Airstreams.

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #26
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
There have been a couple events in my life which have made it possible for me to state the following:

First, I used to ride a motorcycle which was capable of getting to 100 mph in a tick over five seconds, top speed was close to 200 mph. My conclusion from this:

There are no fast cars.

Second, I owned a 44 foot moho, put 51,000 miles on it including traveling the Rocky Mountains and did all this wondering what might go wrong next. And with multiple electrical systems, bath and a half, washer dryer, four televisions, four slides, there was a lot to potentially misfire. My conclusion from this:

Airstreams have no problems.

Sure, things can and do break. And it may take some effort to get all the stuff adjusted on our rig. The reality is there are many sources for help, and my guess is a competent plumber should be able to work on an Airstream.

Many of us are do-it-yourselfers, and love to fix things. Others may need to keep in touch with other Airstreamers as they travel as most of us would do anything we could to assist a stranded traveler.

So, keep in mind the two items fast cars, Airstreams have no problems, and travel with the wind.....good luck.
Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Don't forget to stop at the scales before every trip and weigh the TV, then the trailer, both together, each axle separately, then each wheel independently, and do it all before you load anything then again after your have filled the water and LP tanks. Don't leave the dog in the TV- that will screw everything up! Record every number diligently in a log book. What you do with all that info is up to you - I have no idea.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
Originally Posted by Sharkboards View Post
I'm already losing sleep from reading these forums. I just acquired my Airstream a couple of months ago (inherited) and it's on the other side of the country.
I can't even look at it! But that doesn't prevent me from developing major stress and paranoia about every potential problem. Sagging rear? Brakes? Electrical? Tires/wheels/axles? Black/Grey/Brown/purple water tanks? No matter my tow vehicle, I know it won't be exactly right. And the hitch issues!

Ah, forums. Gotta love 'em.

and from your location, water issues :-) getting your AS from main land to the Island.

Mac from PEI
Prince Edward Island
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote