Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Tin tin - my first application of the x done in a much sloppier fashion did not take too long - my job of it was very runny in parts even with wiping up excess - I used a bad sloppy method of application

With that it took me perhaps an hour to apply - did a wash A week later

I'm due for a redo

I'll be doing the x annually but may up it to twice a year - maybe push for quarterly once I get my method done better

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Thanks Doug/Pharm.

I'll be ordering some X soon. Very tough (impossible) to find it here in Canada. Next trip south I'll pick some up.

Our '09 hasn't shown any filo corrosion so far (knocking on wood).
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabin View Post
Thank you Doug for your protocol. It is the best one that I have read. I am just a little nervous about adding chemicals into the metal-plastic coating interface, but then the corrosion is far worst.
The CorrosionX and Boeshield appear quite harmless to your panels and metal, check their websites or call for assurance. Filiform and rust will make a mess out of them, very difficult to fix.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
It can halt minor existing corrosion, scratch the corroded spot, touch it with CorrosionX and let it soak for awhile. It will follow the filiform worm and prevent water from getting in. Then cover the spot with clear acrylic touch up paint.

Prevention. The filiform only affects rivet holes in the clear coated panels as near as I can tell. So I only treat the rivets in clear coated panels. I spray some in the CorrosionX cap, take a Q-tip and dab them liberally top to bottom on every rivet line, and then run it liberally down the panel edge nearby, let soak as you move around the Airstream. As you move around look for any fresh nicks and dab them as well, wipe and touch with acrylic clear coat pen. Wipe up the drips gently with a rag when all done. Takes about a half-hour or so.

I spray the hinges, wheels, taillights and all such fittings, let soak and wipe up gently. I hit the stabilizers underneath liberally as I go around. Another ten minutes or so.

If we were in a coastal salt or northern road salt environment I would spray and wipe the window and door frames, and any unprotected metal surfaces as well. That may not be enough protection depending on amount of exposure and time after exposure before washing. These environments are a battle for metal trailer parts.

I have not treated the white roof panels for corrosion because I don't believe they are Alcoa clear coat, just paint. But not sure.
Doug when you spray under the trailer...stabilizers, etc...do you wipe down after or just leave on? Thanks.
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When I spray Boeshield T-9 annually (and hit stabilizers and step mechanism with a little CorrosionX during quarterly shell treatment) on the underbody steel parts I don't wipe it up because I want it to soak between the fastenings as much as possible.

It is messy looking, gathers some dust but no corrosion so far and that's more important to me. You can experiment with it to find a level of protection and appearance you're comfortable with.

This treatment program works for us but we don't tow in northern road salt and have not parked near the beach yet. I suspect those conditions would need a higher level of protection. Maybe someone has found a good program for those more challenging areas?

Old 10-25-2014, 03:22 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I added also maintenance of battery cables - sprayed some of that red stuff the factory used on the terminals - bought the stuff at local auto parts store in a spray can

Old 10-25-2014, 05:21 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
I sprayed the whole underbody with corrossion x ,i used two full cans (the large ones) when the trailer was new and clean, I did not wipe it just left it on to penetrate all areas, also sprayed rims and all awning metal,window frames door frame,front A frame,Jack,and any aluminum on trailer ,I did wipe it with a rag otherwise the the trailer will look like a mess with the corrosion x dripping everywhere oh also put some on a rag and wiped all rivets on the outside of trailer and the metal door step( make sure to wipe off step top part )otherwise it will be slippery and someone could fall. Also the other thing I did is walbernize the outside of trailer. As for battery terminals I put white grease on them when the trailer was new , and to keep battery charged I use a 10watt solar panel plugged in when the trailer is parked and turn off the main battery switch.

Don and Carole
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Wow - that was pricey endeavor

I think it took me only one can of the boeshield t9 for the underbelly and only a fraction of he can of X to treat the seams and rivets

Could you clarify - did you spray the whole trailer - all aluminum panel surfaces?!?!

Old 10-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
following
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
To help prevent scale buildup in the plumbing system we use a portable RV water softener. Also greatly improves the water for showering and washing, she loves it.

Weekend and vacation campers may do fine with the smaller models, larger models will give more time before recharging for long term travelers.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
Olympia , Washington
Best way to sanitze fresh water

Pharm - you mentioned that we should sanitize the fresh water system - what is the best way to do this? Thanks so much for all of this info everyone!!!!!
Kellerzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
There are nice YouTube vids showing how - "RV geeks" channel have a nice video but it's on a motor home with a Different setup

I forget the proportion of bleach (plain bleach - no scent or other things) to water but you multiply the gallons of water capacity in you fresh water tank - add that amount to your fresh water fill (I used a 1 liter bottle with a small window cut into it as a sort a funnel - works for me) - you out the measure bleach into a gallon of water or so then dump that I to the tank and fill up your FW tank achieving a proper dilution overall....

Then use you water pump to draw in this mild bleachy water until you smell it - I repeat this for all the cold water pipes - not for hot - I guess I could but not necessary perhaps as I don't plan on drinking out of the hot side if things ? I guess it's still not a bad idea to sanitize that side? No big deal to do it I suppose

Then let it set for 4 hours - some suggest driving around with it in there - too much hassle for me though - then drain water from FW tank and refill it with plain ol fresh water (btw get the little fresh water fill tube with valve it helps IMO ) then use water pump again to flush out all the lines until no more smell

Ps - I avoid getting any of the bleach solution into the black tank...seems I recall reading about it causing some issue

Good luck - I will be interested to hear from others about the hot water side of things - I guess you could hit the hot water heater bypass valve then do it to make it quick and easier ?

Old 11-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #53
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Great post. I'm going to be resealing our whole Airstream this week. Cracks in the caulk abound.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #54
Slympicins

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Sevierville , Tennessee
Great post on maintenance. Whew... I need a nap after all that.
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:52 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I just applied the corrosion x today using q tips - this proved much less sloppy than trying to carefully spray areas and wipe up excess. I think I want a small dropper of some sort to use to apply it along the belt line and other areas.

Good news - I have no corrosion I can see on any panels - only some on the grab handle to the right of the entry door.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:40 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Did you decide to seal edges with a clearcoat? And which wax did you ultimately choose.
Picking up our new 27FB in 2 weeks. I need a maintenance plan!
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I want to seal the edges soon - have not done it yet

I use "paint sealer" by grios garage - but there are many good others people love

Old 02-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Thanks. I do know that Robert is a big fan of their products.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:05 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
I am wondering if you used the X on that grab handle too, it seems to be an issue for most people. I thought I might hit it with a coat of Nyalic right away to see if it helps.....
Old 02-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Am I to understand that you can use theX on filaform spots or panel edges then clearcoat? Always thought all lubricans had to be removed before paint. I have concerns beginning around some handles, edges, lights... typical places. Want to get a handle on it this year. Much rather do good maintenance than big expensive project. Just purchased end of summer last year so this is the year to get it done. Fortunately it was stored inside for part of it's life. Thanks for all the great info from all of you!
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote