Old 05-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
Advice needed

I have been looking for a vintage 29 to 31 ft airstream in the 2 to 3 k range, the first one had been almost completely stripped but repairs had been made to rear end and the body was straight..... I passed because that one would literally be a complete restore, it had nothing that worked..the second is complete but it has a fairly large dent back behind where the propane tanks sit and then s softball size one above that where it curves, plus it is weird because the hitch and the back bumper is black including the rails that disappear in to the belly pan... Floor seemed solid but the trailer is complete so I could see under the tub etc.... That was the real issues that were obvious, it's been sitting for a long while and they did not have power run so have no idea if anything or everything worked, it's a 69 29ft ambassador, any thoughts would be appreciated , I tred to low ball here but she scoffed and actually had it listed for 6k but I am thinking maybe I should offer her 2k and take the chance both that she would accept and that it would be worth the risk ,Help me decide to jump or wait

Old 05-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
Probably should say I did so the back bumper rocking test... It was hard to tell with no one with me but it seemed to be ok.... If its separated then it it must not be bad.... The thing that freaks me out a little is the black frame rails.... They are not painted up to where they go in to the body... It actually seems to be black all the way through?

Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
1969 is the oddball year. Some real impossible parts to find. Open up the rear compartment door and look at the floor right inside and to both sides. That will tell the story on the floor condition. 69 has the best and prettiest wood interior as a plus. Your 2000 is good ball park, but remember.....your in for a long expensive ride in the conditions you describe.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
Thank you Melody, maybe I should go back over there today and look in those compartments.... The black bumper makes me think the trailer might have had some attention which would be a good thing... And I suppose the main thing that bothers me is what kind of impact could have caused that behind the propane takes, it's literally the size of the front window , it seems the tongue would have kept anything from hitting there... Pressed in an 8th of and inch I'd say, I think I'll try to add a few photos so you can see
Old 05-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
69 airstream album | Mercury7 Science Center | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
I guess this conversation was wasted, I just texted her to make a little better offer and she came back with 6k firm lol.... I told her good luck on that, that trailer can't be worth more than 2k in current condition, I saw a completely restored one in ga for less than 6.... There seems to be a major disconnect of what some people think they have
Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
Unfortunately those were the only two listed in my area right now, there is supposedly an avion I am going to look at but I can already see it would need sheet metal work from the photos, however I have read good things about avion so I will go look and see the condition everything is in
Old 05-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Also.....the wood work around the stove is not original, the window protector in front is missing, it needs about 600$ of curtains, I guarantee that with that dent in front it leaks at floor line...I can go on. Keep looking.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
Thank you for the help Melody, I will... Hopefully the guy with the avion will write me back today so I can go look
Old 05-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
Well the guy with the Avion finally wrote me, I went to look and I thought the inside was nice... Good quality and layout, however the outside was a train wreck... More looking for what was good instead of what was bad.
The search goes on... I do wish I had a little more money to deal with... 2 grand does not make people too excited these days
Old 05-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
easley , South Carolina
Just thought I would update this thread... I finally did go with a 72 sovereign ... It is going to take some work but the guy I purchased it from did the part I would have found the most intimidating, he ripped out the rear bath and floor and welded a whole new frame in and put a new floor in.
So it looks like I am going to have a good shell to work with... Body looks good except for some banana skin dents... I have not really inspected the axles yet but will when I put new tires on. I have an abandoned blog that I may dedicate to my efforts, ill post a link here later if I do that