Old 07-25-2003, 03:52 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
further update

Well, I finally got my offer from Prudential (the ins company for the person that hit my Excursion and AS). They say that the value of the trailer is $4400 and I can buy it back for 18%. Needless to say, I am unhappy with those numbers. I was told that they do not have to give me replacement value but actual value and I can take it or leave it. I have my own ins co looking into the problem but I am not optomistic. Woe is me. There is no way I can replace what I had for those dollars.

Wherever you go... there you are!
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 04:46 PM   #44
Rivet Master

"I was told that they do not have to give me replacement value but actual value and I can take it or leave it. "

I am not a lawyer, but consider the following:

You loss and your damages were caused by the driver who hit you. His insurance, or lack of it, are not germane to your problem. He (the driver) owes you for you damage to the Airstream, your tow vehicle, the loss of the use of the vehicles in the interval, and the time you must spend in dealing with the repairs. He owes you this, not his insurance company.

Now, he may expect his insurance company to cover these losses (after all, why do we buy the coverage), but failure of his insurance does not change his liability.

As much as it pains me to say this, you may need to consult an attorney.

Mark

Old 07-25-2003, 05:10 PM   #45
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I would ask the insurance company what the difference between replacement value and actual value is on a trailer this old. We all know you will loose big $$ buying new if you try to sell a year later even with little use. But if yours is worth $7200 isn't that the actual value and replacement value for a like trailer of this age? All you want is what you had.

John
Old 07-25-2003, 06:53 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Tell them you will accpt them finding a trailer in the same shape and age instead of a pay out since they seem to have a line on campers in excelent shape $2-3k under the going rate.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 07:07 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Thank you for your thoughts gentlemen. I am weighing all possibilities now including a full frontal assault. I have not yet begun to fight!

Wherever you go... there you are!
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 12:11 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
You will have a hard time finding an attorney that will be interested in your situation. If you figure the trailer is $7-8000 to replace vs. $4400 offered, the attorney will want $1000-2000 and you do the research on what similar trailers are worth to establish what the actual value of your trailer was/is. That leaves you with another $1000 or so for a lot of trouble. That is exactly what the adjuster is counting on!!!!!!! The courts don't award you anything for your trouble, estimates, etc. It will take you months to get to court, etc.

You need to develop a headache, sore neck, etc. and go to a doctor for initial treatment. You may need diatherm treatments on your neck or back, physical therapy, etc.

Actually, years ago my friend was in a minor fender bender and it was a month before his wife started to have significant problems. My son was hit in a slow speed side hit at a light, we settled in small claims court with a similar offer to yours and today he lives with headache and neck problems that developed later. My point is it happens.

If you can't settle with Prudential, then go see a lawyer. They will take your case if you have more than property damage.

Just be glad you weren't hit by someone insured by "Erie Insurance."

I read this thread a couple weeks ago, sorry I didn't take the time then to tell you how the system works. The insurance companies bring a lot of law suits on themselves because of the "hardball tactics" they use on people who play the game straight up with only property damage claims. Old cars in good shape, low mileage cars, airstreams, etc. will rarely get a fair offer.

Been there, learned from the best, "Erie Insurance"
Old 07-26-2003, 08:09 AM   #49
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I do not know if this is an option but I am sure that you have told your insurance company about this. Since you pay them a yearly premium I would see if they will help to fill the gap or at the least contact the other company on your behalf. It may produce no better results than you have now, but might be worth a try.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 08:31 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
One more avenue to consider...

you can file a complaint with the Wisconsin Department of Insurance. http://oci.wi.gov/com_form.htm
They should be required to put you back in the same position as you were in prior to the accident. Most insurance companies don't like to deal with complaints to the insurance department so this should help. I would include documentation of the values of as many units similar to yours as possible.

You may also want to check with your own agent/company for some advise. You may do better filing a claim with your own carrier for damage to the trailer. Your company would then have subrogation rights to collect the full amount from the other carrier.

Good luck and keep us up to date on what's happening.

Debby
Old 07-26-2003, 08:32 AM   #51
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
I do not know if this is an option but I am sure that you have told your insurance company about this. Since you pay them a yearly premium I would see if they will help to fill the gap or at the least contact the other company on your behalf. It may produce no better results than you have now, but might be worth a try.
brett may be on to something.

you may want to consult with your insurance company. do you have un/under insured coverage? (pretty much standard coverage in wisconsin)

they should make up the differance.

let your company make you whole, then let the insurance companys duke it out amongst themselves.

that is what they have all those attorneys for anyway!

john
Old 07-26-2003, 09:40 AM   #52
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree. When my car was hit by a blue hair on Christmas Eve, she drove off. Fortunately for me, someone got her licence plate number. She claimed she didn't know she hit my car.....

We'll, I filed the claim with my insurance company and about $1,500 later, State Farm got the money from her and her insurance company.

I didn't even call the other company back after the funky message they left me. I let State Farm do all my talkin.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 12:29 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
De-Code ??...

Hi Guys...
'cuse me here a while..." What's BLUE HAIR ?? "...r I near in thinkin it was a PENSIONER who's hair is tinted blue, we have a LOT of them near my home...
Now " STATE FARM "...Mmmm...That one sounds like a BORSTAL, a home for naughty youngsters...what do they do???, go around 2the other Guy's house a BASEBALL BAT...
I guess I got 'em wrong Yeah !!!...NOT even close...
Well hope it all turned out OK 4 ya all...Chris.....
Old 07-26-2003, 12:45 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: De-Code ??...

Quote:
Originally posted by canny_banjo_man
Hi Guys...
'cuse me here a while..." What's BLUE HAIR ?? "...r I near in thinkin it was a PENSIONER who's hair is tinted blue, we have a LOT of them near my home...
Now " STATE FARM "...Mmmm...That one sounds like a BORSTAL, a home for naughty youngsters...what do they do???, go around 2the other Guy's house a BASEBALL BAT...
I guess I got 'em wrong Yeah !!!...NOT even close...
Well hope it all turned out OK 4 ya all...Chris.....
Hahah You crack me up.

Blue Hair =old lady (you know their hair has a blue tint to it). Other terms that generaly go along with Blue Hairs are:

"No See ums": just see two hands on the top of the wheel and no driver.

"Hair do drivers". You see the big hair doo but you cant see their face over the dash.

Blue hairs are usualy driving 20+ year old Caddilac Fleetwoods (the big caddies that they also make Limo's and Herse's out of) Or big Buicks with almost no miles on them and near perfect till they bounce off of somebody like Silver Twinky.

State Farm is an insurance company. www.statefarm.com
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 02:12 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Re- the BLUES...

Hi '59 toaster...
Yep I seen one of those , we have one near us...bless her, drives a old " MINI ", the steering wheel is huge, and she peeps through it an over the dash...U kn there r cushions U cn buy to help solve Yr problem, I once told her...well looks like I said it 2 the WRONG person she kinda lep-rip, with more bad cussin than a miner on a monday morning...
U ever c " Drivin Miss Daisey "...one of my fav: films, as too " The Grapes of Wrath "...jus love those " old-timer heavy metal "...they jus DON'T build 'em like that anymore...SIGH....
Hope EVERYONE r all O K this sunny morning here in ENGLAND, ( U watch someone spoil it...)...LOL...
All enjoy Yr selfs 2day...Chris.....
Old 08-04-2003, 08:49 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Where's the great RV repair shop of the East?

All these comments about Brouk's accident and where to get the rig fixed bring up a question for ME, because it's all about ME, isn't it?

So, where is MY inland RV or Fogdall RV? I live in Raleigh NC and don't even own my old Airstream yet, still looking, but already I am wanting the warm fuzzy of an Inland RV or some great place where my old rig can rest her head from time to time.

So does anyone in the East or even better the Southeast have a great place to send me and my yet-unclaimed Airstream?

And Brouk, I am really sorry about your rig AND your damaged summer traveling plans. Hope something works out.

Thanks all, love these forums!

Connie