Old 11-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tappahannock , Virginia
Access to speaker / radio cabinets 2015 AS

Trying to figure out how to remove the radio and speaker compartment panels on either end of the cabinet above dinette on a FC 25 - see photos with post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	275511  

RivaHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #2

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Central , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivaHaven View Post
Trying to figure out how to remove the radio and speaker compartment panels on either end of the cabinet above dinette on a FC 25 - see photos with post.
It is not clear exactly what you need the access for so this may not be helpful but hopefully it provides at least some guidance.

If you pop the face plate off of the head unit that may expose some mounting screws which you can remove to pull the unit out.

The grills on the speakers are removable and will expose those mounting screws. Perhaps removing the speaker could at least give you the ability to shine a flashlight in there and look for other screws.

If you want to take apart the entire panel I believe you need to start from the large compartments. There are screws in the back which may be a good place to start. If I recall correctly you should be able to remove those screws and free up the back panel which should then provide further access. Not 100% sure on that so apologies if I am wrong

vossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I agree with vossom. You will have to take apart the inside panels/shelves where the DVD player is. If it is put together like other panels there will be screws on blocks connecting the front panel to the cabinet. However, not sure if any adhesive was used as well.

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Some radio/cd units come with a special tool (and if so, you may have it along with instructions in the radio manual) that are used to release the radio unit - it can then be pulled forward out of the cabinet. Our Sony unit appears to be set up that way although as yet I have not tried to remove it.

As for the speakers, I would guess that if there are no screw heads visible, you might gently try popping the outer cover off - could be just snapped on - and you may then see screws underneath.

They never make these things easy for the owner, but there are only so many tricks!

Good luck with it - be interesting to hear how you make out! ........... Brian
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:07 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tappahannock , Virginia
Access to speaker / radio cabinets

I'm adding wifi booster and cell phone booster antennas and plan to use the extra space inside the end cabinets to house the electronics and make the cabinet front panel covers easily removable for maintenance. We are at the exploratory stage and checking best routes for cables.
RivaHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
South Bend , Indiana
Inside the cabinet there is a false wall that you remove to access the wiring for the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Kemblkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
If none of the above works...try Googling the brand and model of radio to get the user manual. It will should give some instructions. Generally, units like that "sit inside" a frame that stays in place when you remove the unit.

Pat
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We had to loosen the screws of the base for the DVD player and then remove four difficult access screws from the curb side panel inside the cabinet. Getting the side panel out is a challenge. Make good mental notes on the way out so you can the panel back in. The void now visible is a rats nest of wiring. The wires were just stuffed into the space. So considerable time is required to determine which wires go where.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I had the same question. I asked Airstream Customer Support. Here is their answer:

I hope you had a nice Tuesday! The roof locker the radio sits in is one piece. If you’re looking to gain access to the radio you’ll have to do it from the side where the DVD player sits. There should be a panel there that you’ll have to take down to see the back side of the radio. I hope you enjoy your day!

I think switz's advice is the same as Airstream's, but more complete. I've taken the radio out and his description of what's in there is accurate.

If you look closely in the crack between the front panel and the "roof locker" you may be able to see four screws that are installed from inside the locker into the front panel. When I get around to my radio replacement project I will try to get them out and then screw the panel in from the front. I can live with exposed stainless screws.

BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote