Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Naples , Florida
AC Leaking

OK, hit my first bump in the road fulltiming. My AC which is less than a year old is leaking down into the trailer somehow. I pulled the filter panel off to see if I could find where it is leaking from and can't see a thing other than a small leak (can't tell where it's coming from) and is very clean. I looked on the outside to see if draining and seems too be. I originally thought it was the rain but it is not, only happens when using AC.

I washed the outside before this started to happen and was very careful not to spray into or on the AC. Is it possible I plugged the drain line? Also can't seem to find where that "line" is.

Should I get on top again and take the cover off to see if something there?

I looked on You Tube to see if video to show where drain line is but none of them show that part, just how to clean them.
FreedomRings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
You may get some insights at the following:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...-152852-3.html

Did you install the AC youself?

Does it sit in a plastic condensate catching pan, or does it have a couple of little cups mounted under it to catch the condensate?

When you say it is draining on the outside, do you mean you can see condensate running down the outside of the trailer, or is it coming out of the drain tube (which should be located near your wheel well on the street side)?

Are you seeing a steady drip, steady stream, or just a few drops occasionally?

I have a problem with my AC creating condensate that drips down into the trailer on really humid days where I am coming in and out of the door a lot. It isn't a matter of the drain not working properly, it is just that the air is condensing on surfaces that aren't designed to catch liquid, so it just drips.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My AC was leaking, but inside the trailer. I found out that the drain lines were not plugged. There were just not big enough to keep up with the condensate being created in the hot Florida weather. So I took the drastic action of drilling holes in the pans. Now the water leaks outside on the roof of the AS. Not inside. Lesser of two evils.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Mine "leaked" for a while after I changed the orientation of the vents. Make sure your outlet vents are not rotated down so as to direct any air back into the lower part of the housing. When I turned the vents back up, the "leak" stopped. My theory was that the air blowing into the housing was pushing water over the side of the drip pan.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Your drain line should be on the road side (same as the driver's side) either in the wheel well or just in front of the wheel well near the outside edge of the belly pan. It is a 1/2" black plastic pipe.

If the pipe is clogged near the low end try using small stiff wire to break through any debris. Then use a wet dry vacuum to clean it out. If it will not come loose this way because it is clogged further back up inside the pipe, try blowing compressed air in the pipe before digging into the ac.

My trailers that I have kept in Florida often had dirt daubers and spiders plug up the AC drain pipe. After I had this happen a few times in one month I cut a piece of window screen and used a worm gear clamp to fasten it around the end of the AC drain pipe, sort of like a purse. It's been a few years ago and I have had no problem since I did this.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #6
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
A/C also leaking

We pulled into a campground this evening and it was 93 outside and 98 inside so I hooked up and turned on the A/C. A storm was coming but the a/c was cooling well before and condensate was running out of the overflow tube under the trailer. I am on concrete and noticed that it was a lot of condensate.

The rain hit with high winds and driving rain and it cooled down outside about 10 degrees and the inside temp was about 79 when I noticed a lot of water dripping from the unit inside on the drivers side and onto the floor. The only thing different from prior rains is I am hooked up to the TV and the trailer slopes slightly to the rear. I have driven in driving rain with no leakage and in fact it rained last night with pretty strong winds with the A/C on with no leakage.

Should I be looking for a leaking seal at the roof when I get home or could this be condensate overflowing because of the very high humidity?
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:04 PM   #7
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
I didn't mean to hijack the thead but, same or similar problem. I unhooked and leveled the trailer and the water leak went away so it must be condensate spilling over. I was surprised at how much water I was getting and it was also running down the ceiling seam trim and dripping at the end about 8' away.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote