Old 11-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #15
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
AC/DC in the dark

I have me one of those fancy test lights that lights up, displays voltage, (up to 24 volts DC) and polarity.

A good test light should be an essential Airstream tool to always have. (Even if it is just a basic test light)

Brevi tempore!

The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
For the most part, my 1987 Excella has not had 12-volt issues. About 2 years ago my batteries had failed and, as I was in the Las Vegas area, I contacted Interstate of Las Vegas. I drove over to their place and a couple of their guys installed the new batteries. During the installation, for a split second, the negative cable brushed by the positive post and there was a bit of a flash. Everything worked fine afterwards and I thought nothing of it.

Fast forward a year, and I was getting some service done at JC. They noticed that the insulation on a negative wire coming from the 12-volt panel was burnt. They traced the length of the burnt wire from the distribution panel for about 5 or 6 feet - from then on it was OK. When they removed the plastic inside end cap on the front of the AS, there was a slash-like burn mark in the plastic. JC also found that one of the breakers needed replacing, and did so.

Having previously had a 12-volt fuse-type distribution panel in a 1994 AS LY motor-home, I much prefer the breaker-type in my '87 Excella.

AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote