Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #1

1971 29' Ambassador
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
AC and furnace or Heat pump

I am redoing a 71 Ambassador it will need a new AC and a new furnace. I am looking at replacing the AC unit with a 15000 BTU heat pump. This would let me remove the furnace under the kitchen cabinet area. Has any body out their done this yet and if so how did it work out.
Lazy Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
The heat pump will only work down to 40 degrees. If you don't camp in the cold it should be fine. The heat pump will not move air around your tanks.
tcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
No boondocking when it's cold either.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The heat pump is loud. I don't use mine and have installed an alternative electric heat system that is quieter, but that still isn't effective at temperatures below about 50.

In practice you can't run a trailer without a furnace unless you never expect to see nights where the temperature drops below freezing.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just a quick comment, most air conditioners have an option for an electric resistance heating element. I figured since it was an option, that I would just add it myself; so I bought the element, which was only $25-30. When I opened up the panel where it was supposed to be installed, I discovered that it was already in our Bambi's unit, installed by the factory. What a surprise...

It's pretty good at taking off the chill in the mornings in 45-50 degree weather, and it will keep the insides above freezing at slightly lower temperatures. However, it is no replacement for the gas furnace; and you must be connected to shore power or one generator to use it along with the air conditioning blower motor. Also, it does not have a thermostat and must be manually turned on and off. The noise level is the same as running the blower motor. (Not sure of the current requirements, but our single Honda EU2000i will power it.)
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #6

1971 29' Ambassador
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
In looking at the H2O tank placement it is under the floor but not under the furnace. The black H2O tank is not near the duct system but next to the hot H2O heater. The H2O lines run next to the duct system but sure how much heat will help then from freezing. I would think that the noise would be the same as when the AC is running Still thinking what to do.
Lazy Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Bill

The thing about the heat pump noise wise is that it periodically cycles the valve to keep frost off the outside coils, which action is accompanied by klunks and hisses and hums worthy of a postmodern percussion section rehearsing some forgotten work by John Cage. Well, that and the fan, which you have to run on high to get enough heat.

I have modified my furnace installation to make it quieter, see:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ace-70036.html