Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2018, 10:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
A soggy dilemma

So, we're planning on doing some remodeling and redecorating of the inside of our 29' 1992 Excella Classic named, Earthship. Here's our first dilemma. We want to park Earthship in our backyard. The problem is that our yard is all grass and it tends to get soggy when it rains which occurs frequently enough Virginia Beach, VA. This matters because we're planning on replacing the belly wrap as well so we can get a good look at the frame. So, we need a decent semi-dry surface beneath Earthship. We also want to lift it higher so we can work under it.

A concrete pad would be the ideal solution, but it might affect the property value and we only really need it for this remodel.

We're looking for other possible solutions. Has anyone tracked this or maybe you just have a suggestion. We're kind of stumped.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A soggy dilemma

Elevated gravel pad with interlocking pavers over it. Dries fast and drains well. Can be pulled out and recycled as needed
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Thanks, it certainly would drain well. It might be a bit more work to install than I'm looking for.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 04-24-2018, 11:24 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Box the area with landscape timbers or railroad ties and have a load of crusher run gravel dumped. After a few rains, it will be hard as a rock....My AS is parked on this kind of pad.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
I've worked with this before, it does pack well. This might be a possibility. I can't get a dump truck into my back yard so the crush and run would all have to be conveyed from the front driveway to the back yard by a smaller vehicle or wheelbarrow. Then removed the same way when finished.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 04-25-2018, 06:05 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Why wouldn't a few sheets of 3/4" plywood work? When you're done, saw it up and burn in the fireplace or throw it out. The grass will come back.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
The true build-up needs only to support the two axles and a two-track path for tires to roll over w/o sogging in - a 10x10 raised island w/ gravel ramps and then some pedestrian boardwalk sidewalks//ramps for safe access might ease the capital expense.

I lifted project trailer with one row of doubled railroad ties side-to-side between the axles as a jacking pylon foundation, don't forget to have enough ballast/hard surface to lift & hold all trailers weight for weeks on end, one never knows what they'll find on a refurb...
Old 04-25-2018, 08:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
It sounds as if you need a very temporary solution but a firm base.

Maybe building two ramps for the wheels by stacking 1x 12's on another. That would get the tires up and then I would put a bunch of plywood underneath when you need to lay under for working on it.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Wabbitier and Hittenstiehl, you've hit the proverbial nail firmly on the head. Because of all of the very thoughtful suggestions from every one I was arriving at the same conclusion. Put the support under the wheels and front power jack then, as Bob662 inferred, setup a lighter weight, slightly raised, (my input) platform underneath the body. Thanks to all. Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 04-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You want to be safe so the blocking and chocking has to be very solid. You will need all the space you can get under it though. Maybe try a tarp first and take it up when not working? You could still go to the plywood if needed.

Do you really need to do it in the yard? A driveway would be awful nice to work in.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
The driveway would be nice Bill, but city ordinance doesn't allow it.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 04-25-2018, 07:20 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Pete View Post
So, we need a decent semi-dry surface beneath Earthship. We also want to lift it higher so we can work under it.
Put down a porous patio mat first. It's not a geotextile for soil stabilization, but it's cheaper than geotextile and you can afford to throw it away when you're done.

Then use Lego-style leveling blocks on top of the patio mat. That gives you elevation as needed by stacking them to the desired height in a ramp configuration. Then park on the Legos. Put more Legos under the tongue jack if necessary.

I got the idea because I've been to one particular campground (that I'll never return to) where I had to park on a mix of soil and sod, and when it rained my Interstate got stuck. By judicious application of a patio mat and a trail of Lego-style levelers (a real yellow brick road!) ahead of the rear wheels, I was able to maneuver the Interstate to firmer ground, then walk/wade back and pick up the Legos and the mat.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Put down a porous patio mat first. It's not a geotextile for soil stabilization, but it's cheaper than geotextile and you can afford to throw it away when you're done.

Then use Lego-style leveling blocks on top of the patio mat. That gives you elevation as needed by stacking them to the desired height in a ramp configuration. Then park on the Legos. Put more Legos under the tongue jack if necessary.

I got the idea because I've been to one particular campground (that I'll never return to) where I had to park on a mix of soil and sod, and when it rained my Interstate got stuck. By judicious application of a patio mat and a trail of Lego-style levelers (a real yellow brick road!) ahead of the rear wheels, I was able to maneuver the Interstate to firmer ground, then walk/wade back and pick up the Legos and the mat.
Protagonist, patio mat. sounds like a good idea. Thanks
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4