Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I know this is about Airstream quality, but I nonetheless feel that I must interject about British quality. Some feel that these cars commonly died of oil leaks. Not true. Leaking oil was intentional, a means to prevent rust. This is even discussed in the original documentation. Those who failed to read the documentation, allowing all of the oil to escape, have only themselves to blame.

No, in fact, the real cause of their demise was loss of smoke from the wiring harness. Alas, this was the result of a failure of communication between Lucas, which produced the wiring, and the car factories that used the wiring. Indeed, Lucas even produced a repair kit for loss of wiring smoke, but this kit was not widely known at the factories or among those in the dealer network. A truly unfortunate situation.

So if you should still own a British car (or any other with Lucas wiring, like some Alfas), you should order this kit. I kindly provide a link as well as a picture from the site:

Lucas Replacement Smoke Kit

So there. Back to Airstream quality.

Lynn
Old 07-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
I know this is about Airstream quality, but I nonetheless feel that I must interject about British quality. Some feel that these cars commonly died of oil leaks. Not true. Leaking oil was intentional, a means to prevent rust. This is even discussed in the original documentation. Those who failed to read the documentation, allowing all of the oil to escape, have only themselves to blame.

No, in fact, the real cause of their demise was loss of smoke from the wiring harness. Alas, this was the result of a failure of communication between Lucas, which produced the wiring, and the car factories that used the wiring. Indeed, Lucas even produced a repair kit for loss of wiring smoke, but this kit was not widely known at the factories or among those in the dealer network. A truly unfortunate situation.

So if you should still own a British car (or any other with Lucas wiring, like some Alfas), you should order this kit. I kindly provide a link as well as a picture from the site:

Lucas Replacement Smoke Kit

So there. Back to Airstream quality.

Lynn

thanks
you should feel extreme pride in this- your- post.
awesome way cool

don
alclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Hey - my Volvo 740 turbo wagon had that Lucas part too! As a recovering VW owner, my heart also goes out (as did the MAF sensor and all of the vacuum lines and lots of exterior trim....) I now own a new Honda and the reliable reincarnation of a MG, a first-gen Miata.

Back to trailers. I read here once that you can't compare owing a AS to a new Japanese car. That's very true - but I have to say, after just spending 10 days in the Argosy, they're sweet after you work the bugs out.

If/when I buy a newer AS, I'm going to view it as the same as buying a vintage trailer that just had a shell-off restoration and new axles, but you get the interior stuff free. That way I don't feel bad doing as Gene says, going through it and upgrading stuff as need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Let's not have the people who aren't into aircraft think you can buy a 10-year-old Mooney for $60k. Then again most of them wouldn't know what a Mooney is.
Can't even get me a 25-year old Piper Malibu for that...or a non-scrapped 40-year-old King Air...

Tom, airplane dreaming, seltzer budget
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #44
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I took demo flights in a couple Mooneys out of Hooks airport near Houston. A 201 and a 231. Slippery little airplanes! In those days you could have found a Piper Tri-Pacer or maybe some other tube and fabric planes for that....

How bout the old Ercoupes? Those were aluminum, except for a few during the war, and I remember seeing those for sale for not much money.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #45
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Lynn,

English oil is a liquid???

AG Ranger,

Sounds like they are making progress....shop-vac's.
May be a small thing, BUT!!

Would like to have been there, hope they take it to heart
Old 07-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
1975 31' Sovereign
1973 Argosy 24
Edmonton , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX

I'm not defending Airstream's exorbitant prices on new trailers, but let's be honest about that statement... you can buy many a 25- to 50-year-old aircraft, and a few newer kit planes or needy aircraft that are $10k short of airworthiness for under $60k. Let's not have the people who aren't into aircraft think you can buy a 10-year-old Mooney for $60k. Then again most of them wouldn't know what a Mooney is.
I never mentioned Mooney in my post...And in case you haven't noticed the US is bankrupt...As is Mooney Aerospace Group. And as of April 2010 they haven't built a plane in 18 months.

There's plenty of great aircraft in the same price range as a new Airstream, hell a 34' Airstream in Canada is 96K, there's a 1980 Aero L-39c Albatros in California with fresh paint and 2300hrs left before a rebuild for 99K! Now I know the Airstream is pretty and all but you may agree that the jet has a tad more R&D involved. And I still maintain that if I drop 50-90K on something, I damn well shouldn't get wet inside when it rains! :P

Speaking of Mooneys...My brother just flew his back this weekend after a complete Avionics upgrade, next is De-icing...Now if you want to talk about expensive...
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Very enlightening thread! Thanks to all who have contributed so far.

We were fortunate enough to get a factory tour last month, and we saw the famed "shower room" in use. Now, if the rig passes the water test before the interior is installed, what causes the leaks later? It sounds to me like perhaps the plastic needs a better gasket.

We're still a year or so away from deciding on the class of RV for fulltiming, but at this point a used Airstream is still in the running. Reading between the lines a bit, it sounds like the quality of older rigs was better than the current quality level, with the exception of floors. Would there be any cost advantage to buying an older Airstream and having it basically gutted and rebuilt over buying a 5-8 year old similar Airstream? Anyone done this?
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri
I can't remember the web site or the name, but there is a company that will GIVE you an Airstream if you get them to restore it. They have a pretty good inventory, so all you have to do is pick your trailer and they do the rest. Sounds pretty good if you ask me. Now, they might be very expensive, but even if it's $30,000, you've got an excellent trailer that will last forever. If, over night in my dreams I remember the name, I'll post it!
Ag'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Great thread... and LOVE our Airstream!
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:13 AM   #50
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Very enlightening thread! Thanks to all who have contributed so far.

We were fortunate enough to get a factory tour last month, and we saw the famed "shower room" in use. Now, if the rig passes the water test before the interior is installed, what causes the leaks later? It sounds to me like perhaps the plastic needs a better gasket.

We're still a year or so away from deciding on the class of RV for fulltiming, but at this point a used Airstream is still in the running. Reading between the lines a bit, it sounds like the quality of older rigs was better than the current quality level, with the exception of floors. Would there be any cost advantage to buying an older Airstream and having it basically gutted and rebuilt over buying a 5-8 year old similar Airstream? Anyone done this?
Yes, many times. There are a bunch of people that have done that very thing. Some have done it themselves, others have an experienced shop do it for them. For about half to two thirds the price of new, you can have a completely restored Airstream that is customized the way you want it.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag'71 View Post
I can't remember the web site or the name, but there is a company that will GIVE you an Airstream if you get them to restore it.... If, over night in my dreams I remember the name, I'll post it!
Frank's Trailer Works does that. He does wonderful work - I'm a client. But a fully restored trailer will be over the $30k you mentioned, even if you get the trailer for free...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #52
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think the water test at the factory does not test for what happens after the trailer is towed for a while. If the factory seals the trailer badly, the leaks may not show up for a little while, but do by the time you tow it home or after your first trip or after a few trips. The factory should have realized this by now.

When they reseal places where there have been leaks at the Service Center, they put the trailer under a portable shower (only way I can explain it) for a while. Whether this is better or not as a test I don't know, but the sealing they did for us at the Service Center held up better. My guess is they did a better job.

Maybe the factory should increase the water pressure or time or both.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri

Name:   AfterLivingRoom.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  47.8 KB
Thank you 'mutcth' for Franks web site. It still didn't come to me over night! I think if I had the $30,000 + for a trailer, I'd go with Frank's. I believe that the trailers would be nicer than what's put out new today. Not that there's anything wrong with the new Airstreams, but my wife and I REALLY like and prefer our restored '71 Overlander. As you can see, it is rather unconventional in it's interior design. You can't get that from any factory!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Ag'71 - your Overlander interior is just about the coolest I have ever seen. I would never step outside if I had this beauty to enjoy - you have excelled yourselves with the decoration. Airstream quality ... at it's finest! Wendy
Old 07-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri
Wendy, your comment was very kind. My wife did all the interior design. We utilized mostly 'antique' stuff like old spindles for the galley/living room divider, old wine crates distressed, stained and varnished for the countertop, old fabric for the pantry and closet doors. She faux finished the walls and ceilings as well as the cabinet/cupboard doors and bedroom drawers I made. It is 'French Country' design and very comfortable. We love it! Thank you again.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
I took demo flights in a couple Mooneys out of Hooks airport near Houston. A 201 and a 231. Slippery little airplanes! In those days you could have found a Piper Tri-Pacer or maybe some other tube and fabric planes for that....

How bout the old Ercoupes? Those were aluminum, except for a few during the war, and I remember seeing those for sale for not much money.
The Ercoupe is not so cheap any more. They are like Airstreams have their own club.
I was at the EAA airshow in Kerrville the year that they introduced the 201 The test Pilot was doing a show and tell airshow with it. The 201 signifies its airspeed.

I bought a Cessna 206 with 800 hours for 40k back in 1985 and it sold for over 160k a few years back. It was stolen before I bought it and had made a drug run into Mexico. They found it in south Texas with only the pilots seat.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
AS Quaiity-A Different Perspective

The AS service center also does restoration of old airstreams. See pics of 1970 Trade Wind that is has been custom renovated (designed by Rick) at the Airstream Service Center. A beauty in our opinion!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 25ft. kit2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	135531   Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 25ft. curb .jpg
Views:	137
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	135532  

2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #58
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I'm not current at the moment. Lately I have been really looking at the Zenith STOL aircraft, the CH801 etc. For where we live, that would work. And being able to do my own A&P on it would be the only way to go, here where we live.

I was too big for the Mooneys. At the time I was working for a company based on Cape Cod, but opening an office in Houston and I wanted something to use Texas-Massachusetts, but mostly to deliver equipment to ROV and survey people on the Gulf Coast. Mooney had no payload, and I shuddered at the idea of being cramped in there for long trips. Did a bunch of test flights. Beech, Piper, Lake Amphibian, Cessnas, a Rockwell Aero Commander... I really, really liked the Maule M5 Turbo. I was ready to plunk down my half, with a buddy working on his ticket. He could fly but couldn't pass the written if his life depended on it. Finally dropped out...etc. yada yada.

I bought a two place ultralight with an idea of moving to an FIB ( Flying Inflatable Boat) for aerial photography, but we sold the trike when we moved here. made a few bucks on it, too!

Here we are in that one:
Old 07-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #59

1972 23' Safari
Chiloquin , 97624
AS Quality

Another way to look at it is: How many other trailers out there can you buy that you can hand down to your grandkids in good shape? The airstream is the only trailer that can survive the 5' of snow I get here in the winter and not be under cover. All others around here that have tried have been flattened. I too am a lifelong sailor by trade, and an airstream is a LOT less maintanance than a boat, or an airplane. Tony
argonaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
AS Quality? We're satisfied!
Three months, 3960 miles (including about 80 mi of rough gravel roads), extremes of weather, and 45 nights aboard since picking up our new FC23FB in April, and I'm happy to report no significant failures, no leaks, and only very minor problems. The decal did come off of the entry door, (Airstream quickly FedEx'd a replacement), two screws fell out of the microwave face bracket (I replaced with larger screws) and the blackwater tank monitor is inaccurate. Not bad for a new R/V. A few of my easy mods include a fabric covered headboard for the front bed, and a 12v water pump installed in the fridge compartment for easy filling of the water tank from portable containers. Presently visiting in WA and will spend a couple of weeks in Olympic NP before the indirect journey back to Durango, CO. The AS has been a pleasure as we explore state and national parks and visit far-flung family and friends.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality