Old 04-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Another interesting thread; thank you.

I shall now be a little more accommodating when the inevitable leaks appear on our International Serenity; movement in the unit will do that and I'm not so bad with the caulking gun. It'll put me in mind of my first car back in England, which was a brown, original style Mini. Over time the whole body shell twisted slightly and allowed a little water in through the corner of the windshield. All was well until the droplets ran into the heating vent, vapourised and steamed the glass in a second!

I was a little surprised at the quality of some of the furniture finishes in the various new Airstreams I looked at, from the general cheapness of the materials to the sometimes poor assembly. I guess we're all expecting more for our money but overall we do get a very good product and most of the problems I've seen are quite minor. Maybe we all need to be a little more realistic in out expectations?

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #16
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
The entire RV industry in USA can continue to deliver shoddy products because the Japanese have not, to my knowledge, entered the market.

Without Honda, American car makers would still be at their quality level of the 60s.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
I too was a sailor and after owning 3 with the usual problems found our dream, a 28' Cape Dory, no more problems. Then, on to assorted RV's, same scenerio. Decided a new Airstream was in order. I guess we were lucky, after almost 4 years and a bunch of miles over some rough roads the only leak came from a crack in the cheap skylight which I sealed with generous amounts of silicone. No loose screws and everything still works great. Ok, the battery only lasted 3 years and I will replace the skylight someday but I can find no fault with the overall quality of our Sport.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I like this thread......a dose of chemo in a world of panacea!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Sailor,
We just took delivery of our new Airstream (FC23FB), and haven't given up our cruising sailboat (Leopard 42), so I understand just what you are saying. It was natural for me to make comparisons on fit and finish between our two vessels, and the Airstream compared pretty well. Owning a sailboat, I expect to do constant maintenance - and actually enjoy it. I think that it will be some time before the Airstream becomes as demanding as the yacht, as we plan to keep it 'simple'.
One thing for certain, when a squall hits us wherever we are camped, I don't have to go on deck to worry about the anchor dragging
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe
Sailor,
One thing for certain, when a squall hits us wherever we are camped, I don't have to go on deck to worry about the anchor dragging
Yes, my thought exactly! The rain on the roof is comforting, rather than worrying. <grin>
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #21

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have my own perspective on Airstream quality after pretty extensive use. Now that we have topped 800 nights of camping and 70,000 miles of towing, I would like to muse reflectively on the Airstream Experience from my own point of view.

Let me start by saying that Lucy has had her problems. The filiform corrosion has been disappointing. There have been a couple of minor leaks. Cabinet doors needed adjustment from new. The water heater has malfunctioned. The ST tires were crummy. The original wheels were a poor design. The seat cushions didn't hold up.

That being said, having Lucy has been a wonderful experience. All the little things have been and will continue to be corrected. We live with her corrosion along with the many rock dings on her proud nose. We just use the heck out of her and have a great time everywhere we go. Any lack of fit and finish is secondary to the fun and adventures that we have had and continue to have with her.

Everywhere we go, we always look at new RV's of every type. Lucy stacks up favorably to any of them in the fit and finish area. Airstreams are not perfect, but are as good as anything out there.

In my way of thinking, having great Airstream adventures is a very important part of my life. Worrying about quality control issues is NOT.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We were hankered down during a big 'blow' one night in Nevada, a couple of weeks ago...the winds were hammering us as they rolled over the Sierra Nevada mountains!...Rockin' and Rollin' was the theme for about three hours, along with some snow flurries to add to the 'enjoyment'...

As boaters also, we were happy we didn't have to deal with the dragging anchor issue, but in the morning, our door mat was missing and had 'dragged' itself a couple hundred yards away, up into a tree!

Our old aluminum 'hull' hung in there like one of those crab boats up in Alaska!....just more fun times on the road in an AS!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
What's been in my mind as I read this: give it the smoothest ride possible.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Everywhere we go, we always look at new RV's of every type. Lucy stacks up favorably to any of them in the fit and finish area. Airstreams are not perfect, but are as good as anything out there.

In my way of thinking, having great Airstream adventures is a very important part of my life. Worrying about quality control issues is NOT.

Brian
Brian, You make a very good point. We've been RV'ng for the past 30 years. Although I'm a little disappointed that the AS, considering the high cost, doesn't have better Quality Assurance, we've seen similar problems on other units. We haven't owned an RV, whether it was a popup camper, MH or TT, that didn't require seasonal repairs of some sort. Some problems are due to poor design or workmanship and others are inevitable due to the vibration of the road and age.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Very interesting thread. Here's my story (so far).

- purchased my 2010 Flying Cloud in February of this year (2011) right in the midst of the wettest winter/spring on record

- unit was in the showroom

- I had decided to go for A/S because I did not want to encounter the leakage problems of the cheaper shite out there

- brought unit home and discovered leak in bathroom wall seam

- hauled unit back two days ago, and just received a phone call from dealership. There was an open seam near one of the roof vents. They assured me that the issue has been repaired. The unit is still there as tow vehicle is in the shop now

- since I am in the process of filling out the new owner survey from A/S, I indicated to the A/S head office that I was very annoyed to encounter a leak in a new unit that has been towed less than 20 miles (from dealership to home and back)

- one of the repairmen at the dealership was quite blunt with me (and I appreciate him for that). He said they "Just do not build them like they used to, but they are still the best trailer out there."

So, I guess it all comes down to one's interpretation of "...the best trailer out there." Even though my A/S experience is limited, it would appear that the majority of A/Streamers are quite happy with their unit. I also appreciate that anything and everything in a wet climate will eventually leak. I did not expect this in my new A/S though, as I thought they were vigorously checked for leaks before leaving the factory.

My advice or those living in a wet climate: make sure the unit is on the lot and not in the showroom so you will be exposed to any leaks.

Aside from that, I would have to agree with Brian. I am still quite infatuated by the whole A/S culture, so look foward to my first road trip.
I bought the unit to enjoy -- to get away from life's stresses and strains -- so am not going to let this first "bump in the road" or "leak in the roof" marr my anticipation.

Signed,
Still infatuated and a bit wet....(behind the ears, perhaps?)
Old 04-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
I heard a story many years ago about a Japanese shipment of electronic components to a RV manufacturer. The manufacturer indicated in the contract that the defect rate of components must be no more than 5%.

This detail was lost in translation by the Japanese supplier... When the order of 10,000 components arrived, there was a second box with the shipment that contained 500 "defective" components. The delivery form read:

"We have supplied the 10,000 units you ordered, which are all guaranteed to have been tested and 100% reliable, and we have also supplied the additional 5% defective units you wanted. We are not sure why you wanted defective products, but we packaged them separately so they would not get mixed in with the functioning ones."

Now THAT'S the kind of thinking I like!

Kevin

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #27
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Chances are it won't be the last "bump"'
But enjoyment is how you see it, and a little adversity just adds color to the campfire stories.
Dave
Old 04-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Chances are it won't be the last "bump"'
But enjoyment is how you see it, and a little adversity just adds color to the campfire stories.
Dave
Hi masseyfarm,

ahhhhhhh, another Canuck.

I suspect I'll have a few....especially after my first trip. My trailer ignorance is appalling, the trailer towing skills are rudimentary (at best), and all living things and/or inanimate objects are in great peril when I back-up.

Those "bumps" will be more like Olympic-sized moguls. FAN's campfire stories ought to be a real dilly!

Tags
quality