Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Chicora , Pennsylvania
A/S of Tampa the World’s Largest A/S Dealership

I went to the “World’s Largest A/S Dealership” for a part for my A/S door latch. I was very impressed; Now I know why they cost so much. WOW it was like I imagine a Bentley car dealership would be.

I was having problems with my door latch not springing back as it was supposed to.

So, let me share with you my experience…
I walked into the World’s Largest A/S Dealership and first checked out a new A/S latch on a new A/S. It sprung back as expected.

A sales person walks up and promptly directs me to the parts person after I explain that I already own an A/S and I’m looking to get parts for my door latch.

The parts person told me they only sold the entire latch, and that they had one in stock. The parts person went to get the latch. I was slightly shocked at the prices on the bag, however when I put it in perspective, I thought either of the prices were reasonable. The tags had $33.?? on one tag and $36.?? on the other tag. The parts person said the part was obviously mismarked and proceeded to look up the correct cost. The cost quoted me was over $65.?? dollars. I was blown away.

I told the person, that I would tear apart the latch and see if I could fix it myself and left.

When I took it apart using a single screw driver, I found a spring missing. I looked inside the door and found a broken spring about twice the size of one you would find in a Pen. I bent a new hook on the broken end of the spring and reinstalled it. TaDa the latch was fixed in less than ten minutes.

How do you not carry inexpensive springs for a latch? Mine failed on a 2016 trailer. I’m thinking this part must fail on many latches. The parts person also told me that that I would have to buy a new latch assembly if I wanted a new key. They can’t make a key either? What a racket! Neither of these parts could be ordered either.

I later found a bag of springs at Home Depot with a spring that would work for <$5.00.

Bottom line, If you have a problem with your latch or anything else, take it apart first. You may be able to fix it for a lot less than the parts changers at A/S.
WBAC #1341
Totlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
That is the way the modern world works. You do not get the one little part you need, you get the entire module. You don't get a set of points for your distributor, you get the coil assembly.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Welcome to the 21st century

look at BMW, after 2009 they stopped selling engine parts. Want something fixed, they would only sell you a sub assembly

want parts for a valve job, no, they will sell you the entire head

most OEM are doing this AS included,. it reduces their inventory size , thus lowers their costs
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"...thus lowers their costs" and increasing ours. grrr.

There are times when it makes sense to sell an assembled unit rather than individual tiny pieces, but those are pretty rare. Airstream is part of Thor, which is one of the larger conglomerates in the RV world. It would probably pay them to do a certain amount of standardizing across their various lines. If Thor could figure out how to get by with, say, five different door latch mechanisms for all of their lines, they could buy them in larger quantities, and maybe save a bit on each unit. For the customers, if their owners forum (this one, for example) knew that three other lines used the same door latch, it would make shopping for parts somewhat easier. It might even make some of those parts cost a bit less.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
If this was the screen door latch, they’re ripping people off. $25 at Airstream of South Florida two days ago (I bought two, since mine has failed twice in 3 years), and if you can wait for shipping, half that price on Amazon.

As for the keyed latch, bull$***. Airstream sells the key blanks on their web site, you get your local locksmith to make the copy. And my local locksmith told me that Airstream lied when they said you can only get the blanks through them; he keeps them in stock. No need to replace the latch just to get a new key.

Methinks Airstream of Tampa has a problem.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Commonality of parts problem

Interchangeable parts are what brought us the modern industrialized age, its true. No doubt if every RV used the same door latches, license plate holders, tail lights, steps....oh wait a minute, they do! And here is the shame of it:

Your premise is that if everyone used the same part, the parts would be cheaper, but in a capitalist society where corporations are duty bound not to the customers, their employees, or even the end user but to the company share holders, they are obliged to charge as much as the market will bear. The cost savings from common parts are not passed to the end user but to the profits of the corporate overlords.

Further, the extensive use of cheap common parts results in lots of cheap common trailers. General Motors was (in)famous in decreeing that its cars all use the same parts. For a while there in the 80s, your Caddy shared some crazy high percentage of its parts with Chevys, and looked what happened to Cadillac. The Caddy target market was not fooled into paying champaign prices to get a coke, and abandoned the brand in droves for better values elsewhere.

Today, look at an Airstream and compare it to one from the 70s. For example, in the 70s, AS trailers had a custom forged aluminum exterior 120 outlet box that folded flush with the skin when closed and cleverly angled the outlet downward to drain any condensate. Today, AS trailers have broken out in plastic acne, with common industry parts for the power outlets, RF jacks, water spigots plastered willy-nilly all over. The ugly square steps are the same as any other RV, and no longer fold flush with the body. This is an improvement? Where is the cost savings? Every year the trailers go up in price, even as the cheap plastic common parts increase in number.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Largest AS dealer?

Well, maybe. We were at this dealership in January when the Tampa RV Show was open. Very impressive property. We received an exceptional price quote on either a brand new 2019 FC 30 rear bed twin or a slightly used 2018 FC 30 rear bed queen. Should have taken the 2018. This dealership may be the largest by lot size or building size, but I think Colonial Airstream in New Jersey sells the most.

Still very nice place and has a really nice display of a de-constructed AS hanging from the ceiling.

Kicking ourselves for not taking the used FC 30 RBQ.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totlh View Post
The cost quoted me was over $65.?? dollars. I was blown away. I told the person, that I would tear apart the latch and see if I could fix it myself and left.
2016? Is your trailer still under warranty? If so, should this have been warranty repair?

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Overlander63 really points out the process of today. Example: On our 2013 F-150 the window defog switch failed so I took the Red Dragon in to be fixed. What I discovered was that entire electronic control panel on the dash had to be replaced (all switches are integrated into this single panel) cost was over $400.00. I would have left it had this not also defogged my tow mirrors! That is the way the modern manufacturers are building product these days.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #10
AI owner since June 2013

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Farragut , Tennessee
A/S of Tampa

I bought my AI from the former owner of that site. I had occasion to deal with their Orlando location on a small warranty issue and had the absolutely worst customer service experience of my life. Beware, notwithstanding their size.
FlaBucki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Most RV manufacturers, Airstream included, and dealers, are only interested in 1 thing and that is selling new units, People who are first time RVers, usually are shocked when they face this reality.

People who have been using RVs for a long time, have learned that there are certain things that you can fix yourself, all it takes is a little thought and fairly basic tools

For whatever it's worth.

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sarasota , Florida
Is this the dealer

Is this RV One?
minddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by minddr View Post
Is this RV One?
Yes
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:28 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
The ugly square steps are the same as any other RV, and no longer fold flush with the body. This is an improvement? Where is the cost savings? Every year the trailers go up in price, even as the cheap plastic common parts increase in number.
You obviously haven't looked at a new Airstream Flying Cloud or International in the last several years. The main entry steps are the exact same ones introduced in 1973.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Loudon , Tennessee
Waited 45 days for power jack and water pump.

My dealings with Tampa Airstream has left me questioning corporate commitment to its customers. My 2018 Flying Cloud needed to have the water pump replaced because it leaking into the main tank and my power jack making grinding noises. Maintenance diagnose the issue as warranty items and told me it would be 30 days to get new parts in and then another 45 days for next available date to have the parts installed, 2 hours of work. Further investigation indicated that they only see two or 3 Airstream per day and scheduled the entire day for simple repairs. I had to talk to the service manager twice begging to expedite the repairs, because we are snowbirds and was going back the first week of March. Still two weekend for a two hour job. For what we paid for our Airstream having it sit for 3 months waiting on warranty parts and repairs is not acceptable to anyone. And of course there's no emails or customer service contact at corporate to file a complaint with
mckenej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #16
PSU1981

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Conroe , Texas
Had same lousy customer service problem with Holiday World in Houston TX - needed AC unit replaced - under warranty - was there for months. That was when we bought her new in 2015 from same dealer. Since then I found a great mobile RV Service that I use if I can’t figure it out myself. Just not worth the frustration.
PSU1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
This dealer didn’t have the 18” drawer glides in stock. The parts girl quoted $68 for the pair. Called Sanders RV in Alachua bought them for $12.78. Beware this “Largest RV dealer. Show room is impressive. Service and parts not so much.
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
My experience with AS of Tampa was not pleasant at all. I am local to them. I wanted to get some repairs done on my Classic shortly after they opened the new section. Their first question to me was, did I purchase my Airstream from them. I did not. So, I was told at the time that they were not able to do the repairs. This was the second time this happen to me there. The first was before the new section. To their credit, about three years ago they did replace a Fantastic Fan for me. On this occasion I felt over charged because of the lack of experience of the technician.

I now travel to J. D. Saunders near Gainesville, FL, three hours away. It's a great place to do business. It would be nice to get repairs done close to home.
Freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You obviously haven't looked at a new Airstream Flying Cloud or International in the last several years. The main entry steps are the exact same ones introduced in 1973.
So glad to hear! I hated the steps they put on in the "oughts" Now if only they would revert to the custom exterior outlets.... how slick would that be!
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:09 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Well, maybe. We were at this dealership in January when the Tampa RV Show was open. Very impressive property. We received an exceptional price quote on either a brand new 2019 FC 30 rear bed twin or a slightly used 2018 FC 30 rear bed queen. Should have taken the 2018. This dealership may be the largest by lot size or building size, but I think Colonial Airstream in New Jersey sells the most.

Still very nice place and has a really nice display of a de-constructed AS hanging from the ceiling.

Kicking ourselves for not taking the used FC 30 RBQ.
Colonial is #1 I sales as told to me by where I purchased my AS. Their feathers were a little ruffled they got beat out last year. Fortunately for me they want to beat them REAL bad this year and got a great deal on my 23' AS. More importantly I thoroughly enjoyed all the folks there. Really down to earth I'd recommend to anyone.
That to me is more important than money. I have it and I'll spend it but treat me wrong and I'll walk regardless of the "deal".
Brandon T. is offline   Reply With Quote