Old 10-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
A mouse in the kitchen

Many people use dryer sheets. also take ALL of the Food out of the Trailer.

Not all those who wonder are lost.
Silverflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:57 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1961 16' Bambi
1969 27' Overlander
Bonner Springs , Kansas
Bounce Dryer Sheets

We use some of the same metods mentioned above and then put the original Bounce dryer sheets every where. This has worked for us so far.

hugheym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #17
2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
Plug every hole you can find, no matter how small, and then set traps inside anyway until you're convinced the problem is solved.
Terry P. Rizzuti, "Yertle"

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Originally Posted by stormycs View Post
Check for holes in the rear bumper compartment and use foam and tin can lids to seal.
YES!! Also the open ends of the Trailer A frame behind the hitch are entry points since the frame has holes cut into it back under the floor. I had mice one year ,but not before that. I had left the chains dangling and touching the ground....mice. Pulled the chains up mice. Some owners stuff the open ends with bronze wool or large bronze or stainless scrubbies.

Mothballs under the trailer in a closed space work well to deter mice.

My mice

JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona

They want to drink and once in the bucket they can't climb out. Eventually drowning.

We are not intentionally cruel to any critters but won't have snakes, bugs, scorpions or mice/rats in yard, house or trailer.

Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
That's right, no food also dog food in the trailer no mice, ask how I know !!
tjdonahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
olympia , Washington
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
All the holes through the plywood floor where the drain and vent pipes penetrate are the usual suspects. Airstream cut big holes for little pipes and never sealed around them. Find all the holes, fill them with expanding foam or cut metal shields for them to keep the mice out. Also, the furnace has 2" ducts which go to the tanks for heating them. More holes, and the ends of the ducts are open, nice mouse runs.

That said, I have had many Airstreams, and some I never could find the mouse entry points.
This is pxxxx poor QC at the factory. Ridiculous for the amount of dollars these things cost.
Xicaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:47 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
A hole the size of a dime will admit a rat. I know you may not believe me but it's true. Rodents have ways of squeezing through things without breaking bones, go look it up. You need to block every single hole, get underneath your AS and you will find many. Some people use steel wool, some people use canned foam, all it needs to be is completely inedible or unusable by the rodents. Food is not the only thing that draws them, they love paper and cotton and other nesting materials. Never assume there is only one mouse, and when there are two or more, the little buggers ARE prolific like you cannot believe!

My husband and son refused to trap/kill the tiny cute little mousies in our apartment and soon, within a week, we were so over run that I'd be cooking and the little butts would be popping out of the top of the stove and running across the counter!!! I finally bought mousetraps and soon snap! snap! snap! was all we heard for a week. They called me a murderer, I was cruel and inhumane 'witch' as I threw the still wriggling little bodies into the trash, (happened twice). But after a full week with no snaps, I put away the traps. I bleached everything to death, and the house felt clean again. Then they admitted they liked it better without mice, but I was still a murdering witch.

Traps are generally the quickest way to kill a mouse. I don't approve of glue traps, or drowning. If I had to choose how to be killed, I'd want it to be an instant death, wouldn't you?

When you are cleaning up after mice, always wear gloves, damp spray, (very very damp), with a bleach solution, and maybe even wear a mask. I know that only certain mice and rats carry Hanta Virus, but why take the chance? Especially if there if maybe your mouse got in when you were camping. You get Hanta from touching or breathing in the dust from their droppings, body fluids and fur.

Directions for Proper Clean Up of Mouse/Rat Droppings, Nests, etc. Apparently I was not as thorough as I thought I was. So I'm a lucky gal considering how many cabins I have cleaned in my time as a Scout Leader.

Dysfunctional Veteran- does not always play well with others. 22 a day is 22 TOO MANY. (this number recently revised to 23 a day )
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote