Old 10-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

sonora , California
a little help

hi i am new to the forums, and have a few questions i hope you all can answer.

i live in an airstream, no idea how old but its at least from the 70's( how would i find out which model i have). i have been living in it all summer and now the winter is ahead of me.

i would like to know how to check and make sure a few things work, or even how they work before it gets too cold to work on them/fix them.

- bathroom.....how do i make sure the toilet works? where does it go? how often do i need to clean it and how?

- is it safe to cook inside with a propane camping stove? not too sure if the original stove still works or if it is even safe to use. any risks or things i need to consider before doing so. in the summer i cooked outside, cant do that when its raining and cold. i would like to cook inside if possible.

-electrical- right now the only thing that works are the wall plugs, none of the wall lights come on, no fridge, no heater( if it has one), etc.... what should i check to make sure these function at all.

i have a few more i cant think of at the moment, thanks for your help.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
There should be a metal plate by the door with a serial number on it. If you can find that and post the number, we can tell you year and model. If the plate isn't there, the number may also be on the A-frame near the propane tanks.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I take it from your questions that you are not a long time RVer.

We will need to know several things before we can help. It this Airstream in a campground with hook-ups? What have you been doing for plumbing until now? Are there any propane bottles? Is there a battery installed in the unit?

Pictures would really help, along the the data plate information.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

sonora , California
Quote:
I take it from your questions that you are not a long time RVer.
i have never lived in one before up until this summer ( summer is easy ), let alone had to live through a winter in one(cant say how easy it will be).

Quote:
It this Airstream in a campground with hook-ups?
no its on a property with a home. about 200 ft from the house.

Quote:
What have you been doing for plumbing until now?
going inside the house or the bush outside, i would at least like to take a pee inside the trailer when its 20 degrees outside. rather than walk to the house in snow or rain.

Quote:
Are there any propane bottles?
there are two big silver bottles up front, not too sure if they are still good or how to check. i have an extra propane tank and a small camping stove. i was wondering if i can just use that safely instead of hooking up the airstreams stove. i would be fine either way as long as it is safe.

Quote:
Is there a battery installed in the unit?
not sure, where is the battery? at the moment i am hooked up with a power cable from the house. and only the wall plugs work.

Quote:
Pictures would really help
sure thing, what do you want pictures of. its in a real tight spot under and between some oak trees. just wondering if there is anything specific.

Quote:
along the the data plate information
and that would be where?

thanks for the help
Old 10-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The data plate is what I described in my post. It's by the door and has the serial number. If we have that, we can tell you what you have and what you need to do. Once you know the model and year, you can then order a users manual that will help you with the questions you've just asked. As for the propane, it may be worth the investment of having the whole system inspected and re-certified.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
If you want to use the toilet in the Airstream, you will need a water supply (like from a garden hose) and operational water lines within the trailer. That will make it so you can flush the toilet and use the sinks. You will also need to be able to dump the tank(s). This will require being able to move the trailer to an RV dump station or arrange a drain hook-up to the sewer clean out at the house.

The reason that I asked about the battery is that all of the 12 volt direct current electrical system in the trailer requires at least one 12 volt battery and an operational RV power converter.

As far a stove goes, I would sure try to get the one trailer working. I would not cook inside with a camp stove.

Brian
Old 10-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

sonora , California
i am assuming this is the serial and what you wanted to see. photos attached.

Quote:
If you want to use the toilet in the Airstream, you will need a water supply (like from a garden hose) and operational water lines within the trailer. That will make it so you can flush the toilet and use the sinks. You will also need to be able to dump the tank(s). This will require being able to move the trailer to an RV dump station or arrange a drain hook-up to the sewer clean out at the house.
thanks that the answer i wanted to hear. i doubt i will go through all that trouble to take a piss. i could run a garden hose but then i would think the water would freeze on its way here. i can not move the trailer, it has to stay where it is. no rv place near here, or a sewer line close enough.

Quote:
The reason that I asked about the battery is that all of the 12 volt direct current electrical system in the trailer requires at least one 12 volt battery and an operational RV power converter.
ok, where would i look for/ put the battery. so even if i have power hooked up to the trailer from the power cord in the back trailer compartment where the electrical box is. i still need a battery. it seems odd that some things work(wall outlets, outside light, one wall light) and some don't(ceiling lights and everything else). i was thinking i needed to test/check the electrical box or something simple.

Quote:
As far a stove goes, I would sure try to get the one trailer working. I would not cook inside with a camp stove.
what is the difference between the airstream propane stove and a small camp stove( which is smaller than the trailers) just curious.

just to say, i don't NEED any of these things. i can get by without them and have for a few months now. it would just be nice if i can easily fix them. i don't have time or money to go fixing up an airstream that really is not mine.

oh and thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1898.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	88794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1900.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	88795  

Old 10-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Soilstream

You have a 1967 30 foot Airstream trailer, made in California.

Andy
Old 10-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

sonora , California
thanks andy
Old 10-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
To fix a thing that we are using is always good.
Regardless if we own it or not. Time / and a small
assortment of hand tools go a long way.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

sonora , California
i understand completely what your saying kenneth. and i am willing to go at it with hand tools and get small items to fix them, i have done a lot of work already this airstream was not treated nice in the past( water leaks, broken windows, mice, spiders, etc....). i can not afford day long hours and lots of money working on the trailer. i have a farm to run and food to grow so i can eat. i don't use any of the things mentioned now and i can get by without them if need be. it would just be nice if there were a few simple things i can do or some tricks that will get me by. or even a few suggestions of things to look at before going into winter.

so the stove inside is a no go? what about an electric stove? only problem i see with that is electric consumption. i would like to keep it at a minimum.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
The reason that I recommend against using the camp stove inside is that it would be somewhat teeter-totter and susceptible to an accident.

The reason some lights in the trailer do not work is that they are 12 volt DC. The trailer's DC system must be operational for these things to work.

Brian
Old 10-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
How far in distance are you from the house where electricity
comes from?

Do you have water supply? A water hose?
Old 10-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Does your trailer look like this one?
67Sovereign

The lights and other 12V items work either by the battery or through a converter. I have no idea where your battery should be -- mine is is one of the exterior compartments (but can also be viewed by lifting my center bed). Yours maybe in a similar compartment or in a separate box near the propane tanks??? My airstream cam equipped with a battery charger/converter (called a Univolt) but it was removed years ago - I presume it was no longer working as that is common in *vintage* units. Mine would have converted 120V/shore power to 12V to work the 12V items (i.e. most overhead lights).

Someone with a similar model/year will probably post before long telling you where to look for your battery and/or a converter.

Good luck. laura