I'm fairly certain I didn't have the right forum for this, I couldn't find a repair/fix blog, so if a mod wants to move it please do.
I've posted here before for some very basic advice, but now that I'm knee-deep and working pretty much 9-7 every day on this project, I thought I'd post some of the photos I've been using for my blog here, as well as to just share what's been going on.
The general story is that I purchased a 1966
Globetrotter from an awesome lady in Houston, with the idea of turning it into a professional studio quality photobooth for weddings and events in the Austin/Dallas/San Antonio/Houston area.
I had come back from the annual Professional Photographers of America convention with the intention of working on the general photography studio I've been running for about 4 years now. After a few days, I came up with this wacky idea using the Airstream. I think a lot of it had to do with the general impression of just how trailer business friendly Austin tends to be.
Anyways, as I'm sure most people here could confirm, it's been a lot more work than I had anticipated, and certainly a bit more money. I haven't even touched the electrical system yet, so I'm a bit worried on what that's going to cost me, but it's probably my last BIG expense. I hope.
The interior, except for the bathroom area has been removed, and I'm a good distance along with the interior carpentry work, with maybe a week left... I hope. I'm still dealing with various complicated cuts brought up by the curvaceous nature of trailer itself.
The wall closest to the bathroom area is where the computer, 32" touchscreen monitor, printer, and professional flash/camera unit will sit. Over the wheel wells I've built curved benches, which will have vinyl diner-style cushions. The monitor and camera are mounted to a heavy duty door, which can then swing open for work access, something inspired by a friend who works on Pinball machines. The back window will have a fairly standard LCD installed behind the newly replaced glass that plays a slideshow of images already taken from the current event.
The side wall where vents and doors for the fridge will shortly have a magnetic metal sheet placed to cover the holes up towards the highest roof vent. It will also have strips of chalkboard. People will be able to write, and place any extra photos they've taken there for the wedding clients to have at the end of the reception.
The area towards the hitch is where people will stand. I've built in some side walls that will serve as places for people to set drinks if they so wish, or just a place to lean. I don't think I've ever worked a wedding where people didn't have some sort of drink with them at any time. At the very front will be backdrop system that I can replace and change as the client wishes, though behind that cloth will be a storage area, as well as a speaker system for music.
The Airstream itself will be a wireless HotSpot, which will allow the music system to stream online music as a client may wish, and the computer will automatically upload photos to a website or Facebook gallery.
The biggest issue so far has been the window over the hitch. At some point before the previous owner, another person had removed the entire housing, and decided it was a good place to install a residential window-styled air conditioner. Every piece of hardware is gone, and the best solution I've come up with is to put a lit-from-behind sign with the logo over that area. If this was a typical restoration, I'm not sure how I would solve that problem because someone mangled the hell out of that area.
I've been trying to come up with a few fun ways to deal with various other exterior issues that wouldn't come up with a typical Airstream restoration. The heater vent cover is going to be replaced with a letterbox styled mailbox. The antenna is going to be used for various flags, most commonly Texas and UT flags I'm guessing. There was a poorly replaced panel repair under the small window opposite the door, and either a sign will be going there, or a removable planter. for flowers.
I did have to replace all of the windows in the unit, and since it was 1966
... it has been quite an expensive chore. One of the bottom latches was completely missing, and about three of them had to be disassembled and repaired.
That's it for the story, I'll certainly have a few repair questions in the next few days. I really hope that this rather unusual take on an Airstream project is well met, and no one holds anything against me for not doing a straight restoration project.
So far this has honestly been one of the most rewarding projects of my life.