Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
A bit of Advice PLEASE

I have an 89 29' Excella..........
The time has come and God's blessings finally allow me to have some put off maintenance done to this excellent trailer. The interior is still like new but the exterior needs a bit of work.
  • The underside needs replace/repair as the rivets around the edges have pretty much corroded away
  • The clear coat needs to be redone
  • New valves on the Grey and Black tanks
  • Replace refrigerator
  • Replace toilet
  • The carpet is fine but I would like REAL wood floor down
  • Paint/Coat the roof white
I called Ohio and they will be glad to do everything but the roof. NO they dont do wood floor either. Could anyone point me to folks who CAN do all of the above at a FAIR price. I have heard about some techs in Kentucky that fantastic interior work but can't find them. And then reference to someone in Ohio that does excellent exterior work. Yes, I know this will cost several thousands; but golly, the thing is paid for and it's finally time to bite the bullet.

Your help and advice will totally help...........Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Dennis, welcome! Your profile doesn't list a state - can you give us more info so we can provide recommendations near you (or does location not matter?) At any rate, your Excella will be so happy when all these repairs are completed - hope you will too. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Am in N. Georgia..............Jim from Fantastic fans was by the other day to graciously repair a problem as they were traveling for the winter down to Florida..........really great folks at Fantastic Fans...........anyway.....isn't a big problem delivering the unit to wherever for repairs..........really would like to keep this to maybe 500 miles or so; but understand the work cannot be done here and I sure would like quality work at a fair price...........YES, the factory in Ohio is a way to go. I talked with them and understand about taking it there in December for all but the roof coating and wood floor.....Just trying to get competive options............THANKS.......Dennis
Old 09-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
There's a guy in Fayettville that restores Airstreams and he's a member here on the forums, now if I can just remember his name......

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I just tried to search on a couple of names that came to mind and no luck. I'm certain I've got it someplace. I'll get back to you tonight.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Colin Hyde at GSm Vehicles, Platsburgh, NY. Give him a call.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
_

. , .
hi dk and welcome to the forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow
The underside needs replace/repair as the rivets around the edges have pretty much corroded away

The clear coat needs to be redone
before investing in cosmetic or interior labor...

investigate this underbelly issue.

IF you have significant corrosion in the belly wrap and rivets...

the frame and pink insulation and sub floor may have issues, so sort this out.

stripping the plasticoat and 'redoing' it is several thousand $$ alone.

and the new plasticoat may only last 3-5 years regardless.

solid wood floors are a problem so you might consider lino or cork or a pergo like floor that floats.

it doesn't read like you're planning a major redo so a competent rv tech may be able to do the applicances while you sort out the decor.

but start with the underside issues.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #8
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Thanks 2Air...............I understand what you are saying about the underside issues and frankly I am afraid to face that..............yes, the underside, the foundation, needs to be dealt with first............I guess the problem is, is that I am unable to do this, and need to take it to someone competent to begin this. I do not have unlimited funds, and if the underside takes ALL then I guess that is the way it is..............but yes, that is where to begin..........now, who competent to do that?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #9
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Any thoughts on telling how bad the corrosion or damage on the underside might be without tearing off a panel on the bottom side...........Dennis
Old 09-19-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Alright, how about we jump in. Stepping back, it sounds like a typical late '80's unit other than rivits, How aout posting some photos of the problem? Refrig's come and go, toilets can be rebuilt, clearcoat offers the chance to get polished . Valves, well, it's a crappy job but many members have replaced/repaired. White roofs and wooden floors...to each his own, not much advise past that. Outside of the ?? rivits and bellypan, it sounds like a good ole Airstream that the average facility could get back on the road (I agree with 2Air).
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:22 AM   #11
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Surely not to go ON AND ON AND ON..............but.........Ok......the floors can wait.........the carpet is in great shape.................The white roof NEEDS to happen because when sitting in the sun the poor ol AC just cannot keep up..........and YES the AC is working great...............

and here's the but............yes I truley understand about underneath.........so do I just haul it to (so far the factory is the only facility I have found that can and will do quality work) and tell them to start on the underside and go UP from there?...............

By the way............let's just say that the wood floor is sound......which I believe it is............while under there it should be simple to insulate some spots if corroded or ruined.................the question I guess is..........

If the rivets have corroded and the skin is loose around the edges( I have JB welded around the wheel wells and front edges)and some places in the middle
how rusty can the frame itself be before one needs to worry about that............or does one just rerivet and get on with life?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
White roof coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow
  • Paint/Coat the roof white
Dennis
Does anybody out there have any experience with white roof coatings. Does it actually do what is claimed, keep the trailer any cooler?
Old 09-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Does anybody out there have any experience with white roof coatings. Does it actually do what is claimed, keep the trailer any cooler?

White roof coatings offer considerable interior cooling.

The ideal white area should be midway between the side windows. If the coating starts at the top of the side windows, then some cooling has been compromised.

Now, for the coating.

DO NOT USE ROOF COATING.

Roof coatings will cause horrible streaks down the sides of the trailer, every time it rains. It's difficult to remove from the clearcoat finish. But, when it runs down the side of a polished shell, it causes very bad streaks, that can only be removed by polishing that area again.

If you wish to have a "white" roof, painting is the only way to go, provided that it's correctly applied.

The plasticoat must be removed. The metal must be sanded, not scuffed, but sanded with 120 to 150 grit sandpaper. Prep the metal for paint. Seal all the seams. Apply two double wet coats of a higth quality flexible primer. Then apply 3 double wet coats of high quality white. Then apply 3 double wet coats of high quality automotive clear over the white.

Yeah, yeah, that's 8 double wet coats of paint.

BUT, you will have a white roof that will not crack or peel, from hail dents, even severe dents, such as from a tree limb falling on the roof.

You can also walk on it, and not hurt it.

It's not a cheap job, and it is time consuming. But, the resulting job, will out last, not only you, but your probably your kids too.

The very first roof I painted white, using the above methods, was on a 1966 30 foot Airstream. I painted it in 1966. I saw that trailer, a couple of years ago.

I should have charged the guy more money, because the roof looked almost as good as the day I finished it. The white was still nice and shiney.

Same old story.

If you want to go "first class," the you have to bite the bullet.

If you want to go "coach," well then, that becomes a different issue.

As always, you get what you pay for, ..............."usually."

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote